Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Industrial black metal fails

Industrial black metal fails
January 10, 2010, 09:52:16 PM
Agreed on the industrial avantgarde possibilities. I've liked compositions by Diabolicum, Bloodline, Aborym and Havoc Unit but they all are a bit incomplete in the end, like they just created a rather traditional black metal song but produced it using EBM, techno and electro-industrial sounds.

Worth quoting. I have yet to hear any industrial black metal that was any good, or much industrial metal. Really, Godflesh nailed it and until someone makes another Streetcleaner, the genre is going to bite ass because industrial's beat-structure is incompatible with metal's need for cadence.

Re: Industrial black metal fails
January 11, 2010, 04:07:14 AM
The Axis of Perdition's first album was really good, but they really seemed to lose it after that.  Anaal Nathrakh made a good first impression, but repeated listens left me cold.  Ruins of Beverast seems promising.

I wouldn't be so quick to put either black metal or industrial into little boxes that say they are incompatible, or that one is inherently superior.  They both share similar drum patterns, but to infer anything else in terms of song structure is just playing favorites.

January 11, 2010, 04:37:32 AM
I believe Programmed Cell Death, a part of HI.ARC.TOW, deserves honorable mention. I've been listening to them since their initial release. I've found that industrial metal offers little else beyond Godflesh and PCD, too. I think cybergrind has much more to offer, but I have not come across any good bands, besides Curse of the Golden Vampire, but it's barely metal. I can't say much about JKB's Greymachine. I think it has an industrial feel, but I'm really tired listening to droning music like this.

Is Agoraphobic Nosebleed worth mentioning? I haven't really listened to them.

January 11, 2010, 05:23:50 AM
Agoraphobic Nosebleed isn't an industrial band, they're a grindcore band. Not really anything spectacular, but fortunately their songs are very short so its not like they drag anything out. Pretty much a joke band though, and the music reflects that.

January 11, 2010, 05:41:13 AM
Is Agoraphobic Nosebleed worth mentioning? I haven't really listened to them.

Avoid.  All there is to them is that they employ a drum machine that hyperblasts 100,000,000,000 bpm (yawn) and that they have a br00tal pseudo-necropsychedelic image.  From their name to their lyrics to their album artwork (and releasing a 3'' CD with 99 tracks on it), they're a band designed around how cool one looks wearing one of their shirts.

January 11, 2010, 07:43:56 AM
Nekrasov's The Form of Thought From Beast seams promising to me.
Light Shall Prevail when sounding sometimes like an Ildjarn/Darkthrone noise-industrial version also promising.

I wouldnt count for Godflesh's Streetcleaner, as i see no black metal there.

I was thinking of the digital hardcore sound, that may be inspirational for black metal "digital solutions" (imagine that :)) ) if inoculated with melodic sense.

January 11, 2010, 05:54:06 PM
Everything by Samael after their first album.  I haven't got a clue as to what they were thinking... Bloody Swiss.

January 11, 2010, 07:16:37 PM
And cue the endless stream of mediocre band names.

January 11, 2010, 07:33:48 PM

January 11, 2010, 10:34:00 PM
I believe Programmed Cell Death, a part of HI.ARC.TOW, deserves honorable mention. I've been listening to them since their initial release. I've found that industrial metal offers little else beyond Godflesh and PCD, too.

I agree. Programmed Cell Death shows promise. While their releases aren't mindbendingly good, they do leave me wanting more.

January 12, 2010, 03:42:40 AM
Agreed on the industrial avantgarde possibilities. I've liked compositions by Diabolicum, Bloodline, Aborym and Havoc Unit but they all are a bit incomplete in the end, like they just created a rather traditional black metal song but produced it using EBM, techno and electro-industrial sounds.

Worth quoting. I have yet to hear any industrial black metal that was any good, or much industrial metal. Really, Godflesh nailed it and until someone makes another Streetcleaner, the genre is going to bite ass because industrial's beat-structure is incompatible with metal's need for cadence.

Agreed. If you're not gonna put out something better than Streetcleaner, don't bother.

January 12, 2010, 12:15:01 PM
I just tried Samael. It's just slow rock with loud drums -- shit. Blacklodge was shit, and Nekrasov sounded like Leviathan with droning.

January 12, 2010, 09:57:06 PM
Bands with industrial elements are hit or miss for me. The Amenta put out a good debut album, "Ocassus". Ministry has some good material (no, not the dancepop stuff). Not my favorite genre though.

Also, how the fuck is someone creating music supposed to know if their music is as good as "Streetcleaner"? I smell a scent of pompousness.

January 14, 2010, 04:38:59 AM
The major problem seems to rest in a few basic areas: 1) the quality and outlook of the band; 2) the nature of the genres themselves, which while having some similarities--mostly among better groups and projects with similar outlooks--also have major differences; 3) reconciling electronic instruments and effects with the organic flow and melody characterized by good black metal.  Electronic music, especially the more intricate variants of ebm, electronic industrial, and various synthpop/futurepop variants can carry heroic messages, romanticism, and ideals similar to some black metal projects easily.

The creative blending of these modes of expression seems in itself to be rather difficult because of the important differences between black metal and industrial music in terms of composition, production, and the way that the devices themselves are used.  Many industrial musicians, even the better projects, build their songs around relatively conventional structures like 4/4 drum rhythms, conventional popular song structures, and a relatively rigid arrangement and composition which assists in lending a mechanical touch.  However, with the blurring of genres among electronic artists as others drift into very different genres such as trance, ambient, etc. is start to result in more intricate and creative forms in electronic music.  Likewise, there are also black metal musicians who have experimented and developed projects in different electronic genres.

Just some ideas to ponder.  It is really a statement of the obvious, but a creative mind can possibly overcome them to produce a form of art with elements of both but is neither.  Trance inducing, ethereal, flowing, melodic while communing with electronic tones, and atmospheres which do not reduce or conflict with each other, instead bringing a new cohesion.  Segmented nu-metal riffing, thoughtless automatic drum programming, and rapcore rhythms need not apply.

Blacklodge seems to have embraced electronics rather enthusiastically but it remains to see if they will rise out of merely being "industrialized black metal."  The potential is there in many people, but it only will yield fruit if they pressure themselves to create a new standard.

January 15, 2010, 01:44:23 PM
As a general rule, I agree that the black metal industrial hybrid approach fails. However, when it works, it really works. Electric Doom Synthesis is proof of that.