Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Monkeys love METALLICA

Monkeys love METALLICA
January 10, 2010, 10:00:45 PM
Regular human music was also played to the monkeys, which predictably showed little response, except for a very surprising, calming response to the heavy metal band Metallica.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/monkey-music-sounds-communication.html

This says a lot, but I'm not sure what.

Re: Monkeys love METALLICA
February 06, 2010, 06:06:05 AM
How about monkeys like Metallica? That says alot doesn't it?

February 06, 2010, 03:22:07 PM
I read somewhere that termites love heavy metal music. So what does that say about termites? LOL.

February 06, 2010, 07:30:01 PM
I read somewhere that termites love heavy metal music. So what does that say about termites? LOL.

My cat sleeps well while I listen to - now - Besatt.

February 06, 2010, 07:48:35 PM
In the context of this thread, I wonder what it says about all the neighbours who don't like the metal you play...

February 06, 2010, 07:51:47 PM
This was proven when the Black album was released.

February 06, 2010, 09:28:56 PM
In the context of this thread, I wonder what it says about all the neighbours who don't like the metal you play...

It so happens that I just managed to make some annoying neighbours shut up for good by playing them Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum loud enough :-)

So I would say that Metal has a positive effect on humans too, not just (real) monkeys.

E

February 09, 2010, 07:10:00 PM
Tomatoes in greenhouses grow bigger when subject to metal music. The human testicle analogy doesn't hold water, however, as some tend to shrink.

February 10, 2010, 04:25:15 AM
This was proven when the Black album was released.

...And Justice For All, paved the way for some of the best crap flinging concerts known to man.

February 11, 2010, 08:20:52 PM
Animals liking Metal show that Metal objectively makes sense, since it is recognized as natural enough by nature itself. Without completely realizing it, Metal musicians have followed patterns and sounds that have deeper implications regarding natural laws than most of us can suspect.

February 13, 2010, 05:19:46 AM
Animals liking Metal show that Metal objectively makes sense, since it is recognized as natural enough by nature itself. Without completely realizing it, Metal musicians have followed patterns and sounds that have deeper implications regarding natural laws than most of us can suspect.

Basically all rock progressions are 'natural', that is to say they are rooted in the mathematical structure of sound.  By the same token all rock progressions are derived from classical music.  The more melodic black metal bands are probably even closer to 'natural' sound, but heavily chromatic death metal is mathematically obscure and has no surface relationship with natural laws.  The content of death metal music, and really all music making extensive use of chromaticism is elucidated by its overall structure, which requires rational understanding beyond the capacity of an animal.  To put this another way, the content, or the metaphysical implications of modal (melodic) music are immediately evident, at least to some degree, and development is an elaboration.  On the other hand the content of music like death metal is entirely dependent on the way themes are developed, because the themes are too obscure and fragmentary to have much value in themselves.