Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Joseph Campbell, ANUS, and life

Joseph Campbell, ANUS, and life
January 11, 2010, 04:35:39 AM
Coming to many of the same ideas one hears around here, Joseph Campbell takes the path of mythology instead of philosophy [or metal]. His interpretations prove invigorating again and again to this particular soul and may to others who feel that changing the world politically is treating the symptom instead of the disease. He wrote many books, all of which are so completely thorough and well fleshed out that I'm still digging through his Masks of God series two years after buying them. Here's a video series set out by the American Public broadcasting organization that may prove as an interesting [if not merely less daunting] introduction to his life's work:
http://vimeo.com/4824510

Re: Joseph Campbell, ANUS, and life
January 11, 2010, 04:54:04 AM
I have watched all six hours at least once.  Joseph Campbell is fascinating.

January 11, 2010, 03:20:39 PM
I love the Star Wars discussion.  I've always wondered what made Star Wars so fundamentally better than most of the other movies that have been made since, and, now, it's becoming quite a bit clearer.  I did suspect that it was the sense of the "epic" which gave the films this quality, but the comparisons with standard mythological models is fantastic (though, it makes sense if George Lucas was so interested in the works of Joseph Campbell).

January 17, 2010, 04:34:30 PM
All his ideas are laid out here:

Transformations of Myth Through Time, by Joseph Campbell (1990)

Watching TV just makes you dumb, even if it's "smart" TV.

January 17, 2010, 06:40:29 PM
Most of it is audio-centric though, him and Moyers talking interview-style.

January 17, 2010, 09:55:28 PM

I disagree. Nature cannot be truly appreciated from simply reading about it. If it weren't for Sir David Attenborough, I would still be doing chaos magick in my basement.

January 17, 2010, 10:41:31 PM

I disagree as well.  I have a transcript of the interview in book form.  The content is exactly the same.