Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The crucial event

The crucial event
January 11, 2010, 05:15:06 PM
In 1997, you started to be able to buy death metal and black metal in mall stores.

Nothing has been the same since then.

In 1994, Relapse and Century Media started getting their shit together as distros -- offering an option about as safe as Best Buy.

That paved the way for the mall stores.

Death metal and black metal were best when underground -- uncivilized, ungoverened, chaotic and yet a place where you could find some GREAT music instead of lots of SAFE music.

Sure, I hated listing alternates and getting my mail order CDs in a pizza box; nothing is perfect. But imperfect is better than uniformly mediocre.

Re: The crucial event
January 12, 2010, 03:23:12 AM
damn right.
alot of metal bands nowadays soften their stuff up so it won't offend anyone and many mindless sheep will purchase their
shitty albums. take example, behemoth....while their blastbeats are insane and addicting, they have since their pure black metal days,
wallowed and devolved into a blackened deathcore band.

June 19, 2010, 07:43:09 AM
damn right.
alot of metal bands nowadays soften their stuff up so it won't offend anyone and many mindless sheep will purchase their
shitty albums. take example, behemoth....while their blastbeats are insane and addicting, they have since their pure black metal days,
wallowed and devolved into a blackened deathcore band.

Ultimately, this means nothing because it will be an overlooked observation in the end. However this statement sparked an interesting thought nonetheless. Nile, Behemoth, Angelcorpse, and Averse Sefira comprise the list of the Modern Death Metal bands possessing the qualities of both being 1) In demand and 2) having musical integrity (being in skill or in compositional regards).

Sidenote: For those of you who are removing your thongs from your angry episode, Averse Sefira is 1/2 Death Metal.

What is the common factor with modern, popular DM? Surely there were enough underground bullshit bands that sprung up through the years reducing the Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation forumla to mindnumbing levels of idiocy. So what gives with these modern guys?

MORBID ANGEL is the historically best selling, musically greatest, and least influentially (riff-wise) DM band of all time... but notice how these modern DM bands ALL worship the riffing foundation, riff gluing and riff-dynamism of MORBID ANGEL.

Nile, Behemoth and Angelcorpse basically all sound like a dulled Morbid Angel on cocaine. Averse Sefira on the other hand follows only in the footsteps of their occultic narration, instrumental heroism and romanticism (though compositionaly they are unique regardless of how many times I hear peope say the words Immolation and Immortal).

It does make me happy that the lineage of popular DM can unquestionably be traced back to the mighty Morbid Angel, even if none of these bands can expound upon their standard. This is why I can appreciate their efforts greatly, Morbid Angel being my favorite band of all time, but it is also why I think their music is substandard (except for Averse Sefira for the above mentioned reasons), Morbid Angel being my favorite band of all time.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

June 20, 2010, 01:11:52 AM
I would be broke if stores sold all the music I love, im glad there is nothing but shit in the metal section; a small selection of shit that is.  Seriously when i actually go to HMV( the only "big" music store i can think of) im the only one looking around the metal section, i never see who buys this crummy "safe" metal.  I stick with mail order because most stores are so overpriced and have a horrible selection.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

June 20, 2010, 05:03:47 AM
I do not think the stores are in any way to blame.

If some of the BM/DM artists that were truly good started to sell-out to get into these stores, then I guess they just seemed good but were in fact phony, so it's just as well to weed them out.

And if the mediocrity these stores encourage gives the music a bad name, it doesn't matter as the original premise is that the music is better out of public light, so it doesn't care about public opinion about it or anything from that side of things.

If there are less truly good BM/DM artists today than before--not proportionally but in total--then I wonder what is the cause?
www.TheMetalDiscourser.com
The universe is naked, attack its corpus, take a real stab at your life and let the blood flow RIP the sound of the very fabric tearing.

June 20, 2010, 11:38:19 PM
I bought "Kill 'Em All, Seven Churches, Morbid Tales, Black Metal" and many I've forgotten in a mall back in '83-'85. Of course they were relegated to a small "imports" section of the store...but they were there.   

June 23, 2010, 09:00:34 PM
I don't have enough respect to pay for CD's from most recent artist's. It's also 100 times easier to download music. Then again I prefer a hard drive dedicated to music rather than a rack full of CD's.

August 05, 2010, 08:55:29 PM
After losing a substantial part of my album collection while moving, I had to re-acquire many of these albums.  I special ordered about 50 (over the course of several months) from a local chain store.  Its a chain store, but only has locations in my region and no national/global corporate overlords.  It promotes itself as a 'with it' music store.  After finding none of the albums I wanted on the shelves, often not even finding the bands themselves, I special ordered them through the front desk.  Having acquired what I wanted from them, I stopped frequenting the store very often.  I go there from time to time to look at the classical section (so many wonderful finds, always cheap, and always immaculately cared for used items... unlike a lot of used metal discs, the classical discs almost all uniformly well cared-for) and I noticed that all of the sudden many of the bands I was previously looking for are now on the shelves.  Unfortunately, they only stocked the shitty albums of said bands.  New Immolation, Rotting Christ, and Enslaved to name a few.  While it was encouraging to see that my dollar did have an effect, it is discouraging that they only got the crappier material from these bands.  I have since resumed my habit of only buying metal from underground distros, going to the record store mostly for classical and easy music for listening while driving.

This also touches on another point.  Both music stores and instrument store both get assloads of job applicants, but they always seem to have terrible employees.  It all seems to point to a complete lack of quality control within the realm of modern music.
"Just like your ancestors
you will fight today."

-Rob Darken

August 05, 2010, 11:38:29 PM
In 1997, you started to be able to buy death metal and black metal in mall stores.

Nothing has been the same since then.

My first exposure to death metal was from seeing a Deicide album cover in a mall store back in '97.

Indeed, nothing has been the same since then.
Sententia Ex Nihilo