Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How do people exit metal?

How do people exit metal?
January 25, 2014, 02:56:44 AM
Originally from here but the wording was botched.

This applies especially to collectors.

Most people are active in music from their teens up through their early thirties when they get married and bork out some sprogs, thus suddenly lack time, money and space to listen to music much. Further like Pavlovian dogs they tend to take their jobs more seriously which cuts down even further.

At this point, it seems, they just withdraw. The collection goes into the attic and ten years later gets unceremoniously dumped at the local record shack, or burned during the divorce.

Or does it?

Who do you know who has exited [listening to metal], how did it happen and what happened to their collection?

Re: How do people exit metal?
January 25, 2014, 03:36:35 AM
Preferably, like this:

January 25, 2014, 04:03:05 AM
I feel sorry for that guy, I love what his voice and lyrics did for Mayhem and for me.  That is not how i would want to end up but then i think of the 1000 other ways i might die from a regular lifestyle living in the city/suburbs and then a shot to the face doesnt seem that bad. 

Seriously though, i think alot of serious Metal listeners have problems.  We cannot accept the world and are powerless to change it. No matter how many "metal brothers" unite out there its nothing compared to the growing force of meat against us that push out individual thought and break us down to that " lowest common denominator". Where smart thinking is spending your entire life finding ways to have a good savings account, a good pension, be able to put our(future) kids through school, buy groceries, pay bills on time etc etc etc!!!  There is no glory in life anymore, the only time i have felt such is through hiking mountains, and even then there isn't someone else too far off your trail to do the same thing you just did.  Metal is not reality, it is Fantasy.  To live in reality IS to die.

January 25, 2014, 06:07:09 AM
For the most part, I have exited metal. Of course I still listen to the classics, but when it comes to wearing shirts, attending shows, seeking out new releases, decorating my wall with posters etc, I have more or less dropped my flag. Nothing really changed in me, at some point the stupidity of the scene and lack of inspiring new music outweighed the good memories. I just didn't want to be associated with something so stupid, and I felt like the scene as a whole had gone in a direction that I didn't want to be involved with. I will always carry the true metal in my heart and I still listen to the worthy releases, but I wouldn't call myself a metalhead anymore.

January 25, 2014, 09:01:40 AM
There is no glory in life anymore, the only time i have felt such is through hiking mountains, and even then there isn't someone else too far off your trail to do the same thing you just did.

Very true, modern life existence is soul killing.

January 25, 2014, 03:50:52 PM
I listen to metal since 1988, I have never stopped listening, just lower the intensity for 1 year for a damn job, it consumed me, until I throw away, I've been married 11 years, and am now listening to metal with my wife, do not have children, maybe that also has helped me, even use T-shirts with bands, I have fucking long hair (no matter, for my new jobs-12 years) use even my jeans, but the key is to get together with metalheads, so each other we stand, remove all non-metalheads friends, not fall fashions, better alone than in bad company, metal mind talking.METALIZED BLOOD.

I sold my COLLECTION of vinyl, vinyl hate fashion.
so just hear tapes and cds. of course youtube and mpgays haha!!
10 new metalheads, 1 is real.
support him.

January 28, 2014, 12:56:09 AM
It's very hard to uphold the flag of metal when the majority of it sucks nowadays. But for me (and I'm guessing a lot of other intelligent listeners) it was always more about the ideas and sensations experienced through listening as opposed to genre, image, style, instrumentation or any other exterior elements that would typically characterize metal. In this way, those light-bulb moments that really make metal great can also be found in other forms of music to varying extents or even just get a rush of power and serenity while walking in the woods or observing the starry sky at night.

January 30, 2014, 12:06:06 AM
As far as I can tell. Exiting metal occurs to those who grow up to support their families or other time consuming goals. Of course there are more than only a few accountable exceptions but I press on that being something you only really notice in people you growi up around in public high school.

I find metal capable of leaving space for the soul to wander off and explore. For instance, I have set it aside, found a great interest in heritage and history, that in turn I assume is why I would listen to other genres be it classical, ambient, rock based and electronic music.

To newcomers, ( those born too late to live through its initial explosive years 1984? - Mid and Late 1990's ) however metal has made its impact, is a genre with a life to death cycle. Like the seasons, those who appreciate it will re-discover it again and again.

February 01, 2014, 01:33:30 PM
As far as I can tell. Exiting metal occurs to those who grow up to support their families or other time consuming goals. Of course there are more than only a few accountable exceptions but I press on that being something you only really notice in people you growi up around in public high school.

I find metal capable of leaving space for the soul to wander off and explore. For instance, I have set it aside, found a great interest in heritage and history, that in turn I assume is why I would listen to other genres be it classical, ambient, rock based and electronic music.

To newcomers, ( those born too late to live through its initial explosive years 1984? - Mid and Late 1990's ) however metal has made its impact, is a genre with a life to death cycle. Like the seasons, those who appreciate it will re-discover it again and again.

typical of a OPEN MIND
therefore, the metal is like this?

February 06, 2014, 01:21:15 AM
You don't necessarily EXIT metal, if you find other shit to wrap your mind on whether it involves reading books or getting hammered, soon or later you will re-discover it later. Having a means to the listening or playing it may also, at least it would for myself, influence whether or not you're so much involved in it at a given moment. As for what is typical of OPEN MINDEDNESS, I would measure general musical taste to be the judge of that. But thats not the debate of this post, is it?
Otherwise, I still think the family often seems to make the ones involved in the music find less time for the band and attending shows... basically being involved in the scene. Again, there are more than a few exceptions.

February 06, 2014, 02:24:29 AM
It seems that few here have left metal, rather we may be too discriminating or busy with other things to be immersed in some of the less flattering parts of the metal underground.