Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Firearms, Weapons, Legality, Availabilty

Firearms, Weapons, Legality, Availabilty
January 25, 2010, 07:26:40 AM
I'm looking to purchase a few firearms, but unfortunately, I live in California where gun laws are pretty strict. Are fully automatic AK-47's legal in CA; if not where are they legal? Also, I'm looking for an all around good, reliable, and easy to care for handgun, what would be recommended? Glock 19? 1911? Beretta?

Feel free to discuss topics from if guns are necessary in the USA, to gun laws, to what firearms you find the most useful. A general thread about firearms.

Re: Firearms, Weapons, Legality, Availabilty
January 25, 2010, 07:57:54 AM
I have to ask: What purpose do you need these weapons for?

January 25, 2010, 08:09:56 AM
I have to ask: What purpose do you need these weapons for?

Well, no overthrow plans, yet. Really, why does anybody need weapons? I'd like to be able to protect my family if I had to, and you might as well go all out. Also, target shooting and stuff like that is a fun hobby. Knowing how to handle, use guns, and use guns accurately is important if you don't want to be the first one dead when the world goes awry. I'm not saying go get some tin foil hats, and dig a hole in the desert, just be prepared for combat. (That includes physical shape, and hand to hand skills).

January 25, 2010, 04:14:45 PM
Good idea to train yourself, even for the least important skill of having a skill which helps you focus. That should always be our goal no matter what our cultural background.

I lived in California when I was younger, but I used firearms in Wyoming and in Upstate New York. I have fired many guns ranging from the .22 riffle, .410 gauge to a 357 and a 44. I did shoot a semi automatic AK - 47 and a L1A1. The bow is also one of my favorites, and my choice of weapon would be the katana, gladius, or a "barbarian' sword.'

January 25, 2010, 08:24:01 PM
Experienced with:
Bo staff
Shuriken darts
Weaponless
M16A2 assault rifle

Intro with:
Bow and arrow
.22 long rifle pump action antique
.357 Magnum revolver
M60 7.62mm belt-fed med. machine gun
M203 40mm grenade launcher
M67 fragmentation grenade
M18A1 claymore mine
M136 LAW rocket
Various low to med. altitude SAM systems

Obviously most of it was army stuff way in the past and some of it from further back growing up as a kid. Any kind of artistic, martial, academic, and trades skill is worthwhile if only to round out your knowledge as a person in society.

January 26, 2010, 09:46:10 AM
To the OP though - no, you cannot have a select-fire(full-auto) AK in California, and last I knew, neither could you have a semi-automatic either(and they are far from cheap these days, as the post above ircorrectly states). But they are not a good choice for home defense anyway. Get your self a good pump shotgun, 12GA - I prefer Remington 870, or Mossberg 590.
You don't want some tricked-out zombie-killin' machine for a defense weapon.  If you ever need to use it in a life/death matter, you may also have to explain to the police, lawyers, and a judge why you thought you were some sort of "Rambo" character, etc. You how how lawyers operate.

For a handgun, there are many quality makes and models out there. Glocks are nice, very reliable and come in many models, claibers and the like. The new S&W M&P autos are nice, SIGS are wonderful but pricey, same with HK.  Springfield makes a variety of fine sidearms, and some really nice 1911-styles as well, if you go that route.(and you can rarely go wrong with a quality 1911!) A fine quality revelover should not be overlooked either.(S&W, Colt, Ruger)

Check out some firearm defense courses if you have no experience. Just having a gun is a whole lot different than being able to effectively employ one under stress, etc.

January 26, 2010, 05:38:47 PM
From a mainstream survivalist perspective:

Get a good bow and four dozen arrows. Reusable, silent, unlicensed, unlikely to attract attention, and effective if you practice.

Your society is most likely to descend into corruption, confusion, dysfunction and lies before it's going to turn into Mad Max. More like Blade Runner. You want the ability to take care of problems without drawing attention to yourself, because if you stand out, you become a target.

January 26, 2010, 07:53:12 PM
Slightly more noticeable, significantly more dangerous: crossbow.  I don't know why we ever gave them up.

January 26, 2010, 09:02:12 PM
1. Fully automatic weapons are illegal in the United States without a permit, and even then, are legal only if maintained at specifically licensed clubs and ranges.  You can't take one home with you.

2. There's no great virtue in fully automatic fire except at essentially point blank range against massed targets.  Outside of that context, it's just a way to blow through ammunition more inefficiently.

3. For most civilian purposes, I think you'd be better off with a bolt action hunting rifle fitted with good optics.  Much better accuracy, much better range, and far better "stopping power" than assault rifles firing carbine cartridges.

4. If you feel you need a military style rifle (i.e. semi-auto and higher capacity magazines), I would recommend an SKS over either the Kalashnikov or AR-15/M-16 variants.  The SKS fires the same relatively cheap, widely available cartridge as the AK-47, has the same rugged, nearly indestructible construction, is slightly more accurate at range than the Kalashnikov, and costs roughly half as much.  The "downside" to the SKS is it has only a 10-round magazine, as compared to the 30-round magazine standard with the AK-47 (and, the SKS doesn't really have the capacity to be converted to full auto fire, but whatever - that's totally unnecessary anyway).  However, if you keep your extra rounds loaded on stripper clips, the practical rate of fire for both weapons becomes virtually identical.

5. If you're thinking about a handgun, you want something that fits comfortably in your hand and has recoil you can handle even if you aren't in a perfect stance.  For most people, that means something other than the 1911, which is unquestionably a great pistol, but is more of a monster than is practical for the average person.  The other really important consideration is the availability of ammo for your pistol.  For this reason, I'd look at guns chambered for 9mm or .40 S&W, which are rounds with adequate stopping power that are also easy to find and relatively affordable.  .380 is also an excellent round, but, because it is a popular round that isn't used by many law enforcement agencies, it can be hard to find.  9mm and .40 are the most common law enforcement calibers, so they're produced in much greater numbers and are more easily found.  Plus, you can take them off the bodies of Dead Feds.

January 26, 2010, 09:31:05 PM
I have a Remington pump action shotgun, as well as different caliber hunting rifles. Both would do just fine for home defense. A Kalashnikov is last on my list, trust me, but I definitely want a good handgun. I'm probably going to go to a shooting range where I can see how different ones feel.

January 26, 2010, 10:59:04 PM
A shotgun, cut down to a manageable length (legal or not, who cares, just leave it at home and no one will ever investigate), is pretty much the ideal home defense weapon.

January 26, 2010, 11:04:17 PM
There's no great virtue in fully automatic fire except at essentially point blank range against massed targets.

100% agreed. It's gangsta/Hollywood bullshit that attracts idiots. Full auto isn't very useful even in present military scenarios except for laying down suppression fire against a static target in order to advance your group for better positioning. Agreed also with the shotgun for home defense. A snub nose revolver is plenty sufficient as well.

January 27, 2010, 12:06:33 AM
1. Fully automatic weapons are illegal in the United States without a permit, and even then, are legal only if maintained at specifically licensed clubs and ranges.  You can't take one home with you.

According to what specific federal regulation do you believe that last sentence to be true? Where are you guys getting some of this stuff?

January 27, 2010, 02:12:40 AM
There's no great virtue in fully automatic fire except at essentially point blank range against massed targets.

100% agreed. It's gangsta/Hollywood bullshit that attracts idiots. Full auto isn't very useful even in present military scenarios except for laying down suppression fire against a static target in order to advance your group for better positioning. Agreed also with the shotgun for home defense. A snub nose revolver is plenty sufficient as well.

I'd still advocate a shotgun, because it is easier to use (higher hit probability) and a lot easier to make safe for confined quarters use.  Handgun rounds will punch through walls.  Buck shot probably will not pass through traditional (i.e. plaster) walls, and bird shot is unlikely to pass through even sheetrock and retain lethal energy on the other side, an important consideration when you're trying to defend a family...