Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Averse Sefira: hype or reality?

Re: Averse Sefira: hype or reality?
February 09, 2010, 06:59:27 AM
Tastes aside, how do we define hype? Averse Sefira has respect and name recognition, but that's hardly the same thing. Take a look at a highly commercialized metal product like Behemoth or the empty style-metal released by Southern Lord, and it becomes clear that AS (and many bands like them) are not really hyped by definition. Some bands attract a dedicated and vocal fanbase, but it seems like these fans stick with the bands throughout their careers. That isn't hype, it's loyalty.

February 09, 2010, 07:13:40 AM
In common metal forum speech, hype is positive commentary from 2 people or more about a band, album or project I'm too lazy to check out, or too tired and cranky to enjoy.

And just to irritate Cargést, the Merriam-Webster entry:

Main Entry: hype
Function: noun
Date: 1955

1 : deception, put-on
2 : publicity; especially : promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind <all the hype before the boxing match>

February 09, 2010, 09:15:50 AM
And just to irritate Cargést

I feel so loved!

Given those two definitions, I would say that Averse Sefira's promotion by ANUS (and other websites/groups) could only fall under the second.  It's taken me a while to be able to appreciate the band, though they're still quite low down on my (pretty short) list of "good Black Metal".  Certainly the only "modern" Black Metal band which I enjoy, unless you count Krieg as being "modern".

February 09, 2010, 04:08:01 PM
I have always enjoyed this band and it is more then welcoming to see a band stick to their guns and plunge along. That is more inspiring to say the least...

February 11, 2010, 03:32:09 AM
Very solid band. Tetragrammatical Astygmata is their best release. Advent did not grab me in anyway except the song Vomitorium Angelis.