Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Saw SUFFOCATION Live

Saw SUFFOCATION Live
February 07, 2010, 06:52:59 AM
I just got back from their show in Ft. Lauderdale a few minutes ago. It was intense! The first thing I noticed was how old the members seemed, especially Terrance Hobbs. He's bald up to about halfway up his head. I was also surprised because Mike Smith cut his hair. I was expecting a poor show, but boy was I wrong. I kept thinking they were ending their set because they played each song with particular ferocity. Frank Mullen sounds far better live. At least twice as good. I thought I was a decent vocalist until I heard him. Their set was perfect. All of their classic songs and one new one. They opened with "Liege of Inveracity". I was very pleased. However, the mosh pit didn't start until about 2 or 3 minutes into the song. There was a circle where the pit should've been but no one entered. I went in and saw some short black kid with huge arms on the other side. He gave me a look and we commenced a sort of headbutting dominance ritual. We each rammed into each other with our arms as hard as possible. We did this about 15 times then people started jumping in and the pit formed. The pits throughout the show were quite unusual. People usually only jumped in for about 10 seconds at a time to avoid getting too tired. I hadn't figured out this technique and moshed at full intensity throughout the song, until I slipped on some spilled drink. That really threw me out of a moshing mood because all of a sudden exhaustion set in. I currently have bronchitis and the thick cloud of pot smoke made it hard to breathe. I had also eaten a ham and cheese sandwich which didn't agree with me and I threw up. I drank some water and rested for about 3 songs and jumped back in. The pit was disappointingly small. Rarely were more than 10 people involved at a time at any point in the show. I had to wait out a while to get back into the pit because there was some 250 pound moron swinging his fists around. I jumped in when "Infecting the Crypts" came on. I didn't get so tired this time, but I had to leave because I couldn't take anymore blows to my stomach, especially since I needed to pee. They closed with "Depths of Depravity" and did a wall of death. It was probably the most memorable moment of the entire night. A lot of people got involved in this pit and it never died down like had been happening. I extremely regret not participating because I couldn't make it to the bathroom.

I started with a description of Suffocation's set, but here are the other bands and a description of the venue. Thy Will Be Done opened, followed by Goatwhore, Suffocation, and then Devildriver. The venue is not particularly big, but there was probably close to a thousand people in there. The first thing I noticed was the smell of pot. It wasn't strong at first, but apparently everyone was waiting for Suffocation to come on to smoke. The smell took some getting used to, and I could barely stay in the crowded area because i couldn't stand the smoke. When I got there, Goatwhore was playing their second to last song. I thought I was only missing Thy Will be Done, but apparently they played a short set so Goatwhore was on. Based on what I heard, I didn't miss much. They didn't have much stage presence either. The sound of the venue amplified mostly drums and bass guitar and vocals. These instruments were crystal clear and sounded perfect. The problem was that the guitars were nearly inaudible other than when playing on the 6th string. For Suffocation, it didn't matter much because Mullen carried that show. The crowd for Suffocation wasn't as energetic as the one for Devildriver, but the performance by Suffocation was definitely more energetic. I participated far more in the Devildriver moshpits, but mostly because they were bigger and were more energetic.

In conclusion, everyone should go see Suffocation live. They're on tour, and I posted tour dates in the News forum a while back. http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,7685.0.html

SIDE NOTE: I bought a Suffocation shirt there. I wanted to get a "Human Waste" shirt but they only had them in XXL, so I got one that said "PROVOKING THE DISTURBED." I got it signed by Guy Marchais, Mike Smith, and Terrance Hobbs. I especially wanted a Frank Mullen one, but I couldn't find him.

SIDE NOTE 2: I saw some kid around 8 years old in there. Had a laugh.

Re: Saw SUFFOCATION Live
February 07, 2010, 07:19:31 AM
I'll second seeing Suffocation live if it's in the cards.  It's been a while for me, but I know they make a point to mix it up for each show and please the crowd with classics from the first three releases.  They were also hanging out shooting pool when I last saw them, and although I didn't have anything in particular to bring up the band members seemed more than willing to engage with fans.

Also: "Depths of Depravity" live?  Easily one of the most ambitious dm tracks ever recorded - I can't imagine how it'd go on stage!

February 07, 2010, 07:51:09 AM
One thing that is always good to note about a band. The members of Suffocation are extremely friendly and will talk to just about anyone at a show should you catch them hanging around.

I've seen them at least four times now. I'd gladly see them again.

February 07, 2010, 08:06:42 AM
Yeah, I mean it's like you can walk up to them, talk about their music - and they get it - and next thing you know the guys are playing classic tracks perfectly impromptu.  

They're professionals who understand the crowd, or at least the segment that cares.  Again, definitely worth seeing.  And they tend to hit up small venues, which is their forte anyway.  You can't miss with this group - highly recommended if you can make it.  Cheer on the winners.

February 07, 2010, 10:39:53 PM
Also: "Depths of Depravity" live?  Easily one of the most ambitious dm tracks ever recorded - I can't imagine how it'd go on stage!

It was pretty good, but like I said, the higher guitar parts were barely audible

About them being friendly, yes they were. Hobbs spent most of his offstage time by the bar talking to girls. Mike Smith was walking through the crowd like if he was any other person. Some guy brought like 20 photographs and got them signed by both of them. I think he had a Suffocation tattoo though and that's how he convinced them to do it.

February 09, 2010, 04:10:56 PM
I saw them about hmm five years now. It was a venue in North Virginia called Jaxx, if anyone is familiar. This was a killer show with Aborted, Decapitiation, and Cryptopsy.

Suffocation was spot on except at on point the bassist made a mistake and Mike Smith shrugged it off and then proceeded to bang back it to the drums full force. Man, the guy got big over the years!

February 09, 2010, 11:27:59 PM
I missed out in seeing them this recent tour, mainly because the other bands discouraged me. Couldn't make it there either, but seemed like it would have been a worthwhile band to see live especially if they were playing the older songs. Such a bummer.

March 11, 2010, 07:32:35 PM
Saw Suffocation when they came over to New Zealand last year (?), me and my band mates drove 7 hours (long way for NZ) to see them, then had to sit through 6 or 7 metalcore bands that were bland and pointless, but when Suffocation came on, good god, they were fucking awesome, everything about their set was excellent, frank Mullen is an awesome front man, talking about stashing weapons and stealing dead bodies, even miming the grave digging from infecting the crypts. There were heaps of metal heads there, nearly all for Suffocation, and we all really appreciated them coming out to NZ, which is in the corner of the world, to play a show for a couple of hundred people at most, fucking awesome effort.

March 13, 2010, 08:04:31 PM
Saw Suffocation live at Central Illinois Metalfest. Despite Massacre, Incantation, and Monstrosity preceding them, they managed to be the most energetic, ferocious, heavy band that played that weekend. They are very professional on stage, and after 20+ years, they still have their shit together. I would recommend seeing Suffocation live for just about anybody who appreciates high quality musicianship, good songwriting, musical complexity, and a band with very high energy.

March 16, 2010, 05:25:52 PM
I saw them about hmm five years now. It was a venue in North Virginia called Jaxx, if anyone is familiar. This was a killer show with Aborted, Decapitiation, and Cryptopsy.

I think I was at the show you're talking about, didn't Cryptopsy cancel though? Well either way, Suffocation has been amazing both times that I've seen them. The only thing that disappointed me was how Mullen's vocal style seemed to have changed slightly (or maybe just sounds different because he's getting old). It's really a minor difference though (unlike David Vincent), and it still works with Suffocation's aesthetic.

Immolation may just have me spoiled because stylistically they have continued to evolve, but can play old material like Dawn of Possession exactly the way you'd expect it to sound. If any currently active DM band is a contender for "better live performance" than Suffocation, it's Immolation.

March 17, 2010, 07:10:44 AM
^^ Cryptopsy did crap-out on that tour.

The Immolation comparison is valid in my experience. Even now as old fucks(like myself) both bands always deliver with great energy and conviction in what is admittedly, for the most part, a much younger man's game.

*side note - the first time I ever heard Suffocation was in the live arena here in NY in around '92 I think. To say the least, that was an impressive introduction.     

March 17, 2010, 04:55:34 PM
^^ Cryptopsy did crap-out on that tour.

The Immolation comparison is valid in my experience. Even now as old fucks(like myself) both bands always deliver with great energy and conviction in what is admittedly, for the most part, a much younger man's game.

*side note - the first time I ever heard Suffocation was in the live arena here in NY in around '92 I think. To say the least, that was an impressive introduction.    

Where in New York?

Cool/interesting note: I live roughly 10 minutes from where Frank, Terrance, and Mike went to school/grew up. It's not uncommon for me to see them around town in stores.

March 18, 2010, 06:39:43 AM
^^  It was in Middletown - in Orange County(semi-upstate). There used to a be a small club there back in the day called "The Class" or some goofy shit like that.  (for useless trivia closely related to that era, this area is the 'hometurf' of Morpheus Descends)

April 03, 2010, 11:06:15 AM
Saw Suffocation when they came over to New Zealand last year (?), me and my band mates drove 7 hours (long way for NZ) to see them, then had to sit through 6 or 7 metalcore bands that were bland and pointless, but when Suffocation came on, good god, they were fucking awesome, everything about their set was excellent, frank Mullen is an awesome front man, talking about stashing weapons and stealing dead bodies, even miming the grave digging from infecting the crypts. There were heaps of metal heads there, nearly all for Suffocation, and we all really appreciated them coming out to NZ, which is in the corner of the world, to play a show for a couple of hundred people at most, fucking awesome effort.

I saw them the other day in the UK and he did the same thing. And their was this little gem, I quote: "All parents should take care of their kids, even if your child grows up to be a serial killer at least he has goals and ambitions, so this song is about caring for your children, its called breeding the Spawn!".

I also had to sit through 4 of the shittest metalcore support bands as well, but it was well worth it. I just don't get how some fans can lap up some of the shittest metal I've heard and then still claim to "get" Suffocation. 

April 22, 2010, 11:17:30 PM
I've seen them a few times now. The last time was with Cryptopsy, when they had Lord Worm back. Pretty fun stuff, they're a high energy band and the crowd really gets into them. I haven't been into that kind of music for quite awhile, but I'd recommend seeing them if you are.