Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Aspies lose title.

Aspies lose title.
February 11, 2010, 06:12:09 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100211/ap_on_he_me/us_med_asperger_s_diagnosis

"Instead, Asperger's and other forms of autism would be lumped together in a single "autism spectrum disorders" category."

Sorry for the Yahoo! link, but we are all going to be in the same category as inferior retards. HURR.. Bring on the coloring books!

Re: Aspies lose title.
February 11, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
I once had a supervisor who claimed to (and apparently) suffered from asperger's, and he was a fucking wreck.  After reading the symptoms it doesn't surprise me at all.  

I don't know why so many people here want to be just a touch away from OCD folks.  If you're good at what you do then keep at it, but otherwise don't storm the internet claiming some sort of clairvoyance based on an inability to get along with other people.  The last thing this board needs is more sensationalism.

February 12, 2010, 01:23:03 AM
Not really new news, this change in the DSM-V was proposed a while ago, there's just not a whole lot of empirical data suggesting aspergers differs much from high-functioning autism and similar approaches in diagnosis and treatment should be used. People who live and die by a label are sad.

February 12, 2010, 06:30:01 PM
People who live and die by a label are sad.

Haha! But there's the problem - Aspies have a hard time getting their head around new ideas. So of course they'll be upset! Shoot them all, we've got more than enough people do take care of whatever it is they were doing.

February 12, 2010, 07:28:10 PM
Not really new news, this change in the DSM-V was proposed a while ago, there's just not a whole lot of empirical data suggesting aspergers differs much from high-functioning autism and similar approaches in diagnosis and treatment should be used. People who live and die by a label are sad.

Indeed, thought it'd be funny here. It's typical people squirm when someone threatens the identity they built around a disorder. Like how morbidly obese people claim to be beautiful, and just as good as anybody else.. defectives all. Once people become aware of a non-fatal disorder they never knew they had they use it as a means to an end, to gain attention and make themselves appear privileged and needy.. it seems everyone needs a new disease, disorder, or other ailment.

February 14, 2010, 12:46:59 AM
The complaint from aspies has been, "We weren't consulted!" 

Well, no shit, Sherlock.  AIDS researchers didn't consult Freddie Mercury, oncologists don't call up Lance Armstrong to see what he thinks of new treatment options, and the DSM folks didn't keep Wesley Willis on speed dial either.  Ultimately, the aspies are pissing and moaning because they're mental defectives who have never really come to grips with the fact that other people exist, which is, after all, what made them aspies in the first place.

February 19, 2010, 12:04:21 AM
Since when did a forum championing eugenics start letting in mental defectives?

February 19, 2010, 12:05:10 PM
Since aspergers became synonymous with the ubermensch apparently.

February 19, 2010, 12:11:01 PM
^^ When'/how did that happen?

February 19, 2010, 12:46:13 PM
Several months ago there were a few threads on the virtues of aspergers. Something like looking at the world through the unmoral logical state of an asperger versus the moral, emotive andl illogical state of a neurotypical. Sounds like idealisation to an extreme, since those with aspergers that I've met are hardly ubermensch material and still have a funny sense of morality and emotions.

E

February 19, 2010, 01:04:37 PM
I have aspergers and all this anecdotal evidence here doesn't make my weewee feel funny.

February 19, 2010, 08:51:39 PM
Several months ago there were a few threads on the virtues of aspergers. Something like looking at the world through the unmoral logical state of an asperger versus the moral, emotive andl illogical state of a neurotypical. Sounds like idealisation to an extreme, since those with aspergers that I\\\'ve met are hardly ubermensch material and still have a funny sense of morality and emotions.

That\'s just dumb, and is impractical thinking. How people expect to overthrow modern society if their malfunctioning brains keep them from being able to learn basic social skills?

February 19, 2010, 11:15:26 PM
That\'s just dumb, and is impractical thinking. How people expect to overthrow modern society if their malfunctioning brains keep them from being able to learn basic social skills?

Only Aspies would defend such a notion, naturally.  Don't extend the maladjusted ideas of a few forum users to the general principles of the parent site.

February 19, 2010, 11:33:33 PM
That\\\'s just dumb, and is impractical thinking. How people expect to overthrow modern society if their malfunctioning brains keep them from being able to learn basic social skills?

Only Aspies would defend such a notion, naturally.  Don\'t extend the maladjusted ideas of a few forum users to the general principles of the parent site.

It\'s not my intention to do so. However, I do find even the existence of of aspie apologetics on this forum to be somewhat unsettling; say what you want about the ancient forum, but at least there was none of that going on...

February 21, 2010, 08:09:30 AM
It's really no less silly to imply all higher functioning autistics are defective and useless than any claims that they are superior. I can see the confusion with all the misdiagnosing and lack of research, understanding. It's a spectrum once you really get out to observe. Just like with humanity, our diversity makes us strong. ;) And please don't be so surprised that some of these alienated people would come to a nihilistic site, well I mistakenly thought it was nihilism at first, you know the defeated definition 99% of the world seems to use. ;)