Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that you want to see reviewed by DLA

Re: Bands that you want to see reviewed by DLA
November 20, 2011, 01:06:19 PM
"this album was included in the archives to represent the decline of black metal into an aesthetic copy of itself with waning impetus from the genre's originators. I think that NM does this well, and should be included in the archives."

It seems the gentleman can indeed see through the fake. I don't see why the album cannot be enjoyed for the cheap thrills it does have. The review is also enlightening, as are the reviews of Marduk and other gimmick bands.

November 21, 2011, 05:03:24 AM
It seems the gentleman can indeed see through the fake. I don't see why the album cannot be enjoyed for the cheap thrills it does have. The review is also enlightening, as are the reviews of Marduk and other gimmick bands.

Hey now, dont drag Marduk in with Ulver.  Marduk slayed up until Heaven Shall Burn with pure satanic glory!  It was only until Panzer Division that Marduk proved they were a gimmick, which in turn is still a fun album to throw on once in awhile. Also, when people ask me what type of music I listen to, i tear my vocals chords out screaming " CHRIIIST RAAAAPIING BLAAAAACK METAAAL!!!!!"

November 21, 2011, 10:52:24 AM
... when people ask me what type of music I listen to, i tear my vocals chords out screaming " CHRIIIST RAAAAPIING BLAAAAACK METAAAL!!!!!"

Whenever a few of my friends are asked the question "why", they respond with "BECAUSE BLACK WITCHING METAL".

Extreme Metal in-jokes.

November 22, 2011, 02:34:35 AM
hahah thats awesome.  Ha one of the funniest conversations I've had about music taste was with a new foreman i was working with, He asks

"So what kind of music do you listen to?"
I reply " Mostly Death Metal"
he says " I can tell"
I say " Oh? hows that"
Foreman replies" Because you have a goatee"
 I start laughing
He asks " Who has a beard?"
I say " what do you mean "who"? like in death metal??
He says " Yeah"
I started thinking about it for a second
he says " Everybody" and then walks off.

That cracked me up pretty good afterwards but this conversation had happened within half an hour of meeting each other, so it was a bit awkward.  I will also note that he later said he used to listen to death metal, like Slayer and ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?.

Getting back to the thread topic, has anyone given Wombath's - Internal Caustic Torments a listen?  Im diggin this album lately.  Its really punchy sounding and thick, I like the way the vocals kind of gain momentum off the music as it speeds up.  Cool album worth checking out if you haven't heard it already.  Deathmetal.org has a review on their website, thats how i found out about it.

November 22, 2011, 05:51:55 PM
That Wombbath album is pretty cool, and rather unique among its Swedish compatriots in that it sounds a lot more American than Swedish at points, almost Malevolent Creation-ish. I actually prefer their demos to their full-length; they've got a more atmospheric guitar sound that really enhances the impact of songs like "Beyond the Gloomy."

November 23, 2011, 11:38:22 PM
I bought that Wombbath album after hearing so much about the group.

The problem I have with it is not its vision, but its practice. The Swedish-meets-American death metal sound is a good idea, but Wombbath don't really pull it off as well as one would hope. The album reminded me most of a flatter "Harmony Corruption" but less inspired. It's far too rhythmic (here I'm contradicting myself in a way because I love stuff like Grave and Master which are incredibly rhythmic) which does not work with the way these songs are structured. Half the time the guitarists and drummer seem to have conflicting visions of where the music should go. It's not a bad album just one that gets old on me quickly and is too fragmented for my lasting enjoyment.

November 24, 2011, 12:58:37 AM

The problem I have with it is not its vision, but its practice. The Swedish-meets-American death metal sound is a good idea, but Wombbath don't really pull it off as well as one would hope. The album reminded me most of a flatter "Harmony Corruption" but less inspired. It's far too rhythmic (here I'm contradicting myself in a way because I love stuff like Grave and Master which are incredibly rhythmic) which does not work with the way these songs are structured. Half the time the guitarists and drummer seem to have conflicting visions of where the music should go. It's not a bad album just one that gets old on me quickly and is too fragmented for my lasting enjoyment.

interesting point.  I was trying to put my finger on what exactly the shortcoming of this album is...I wouldnt say its flat like you mentioned, but I think it lacks consistency. Its starts off really strong and picks up periodically throughout the album.  I would say its worthy of purchase.

November 24, 2011, 04:32:02 PM

interesting point.  I was trying to put my finger on what exactly the shortcoming of this album is...I wouldnt say its flat like you mentioned, but I think it lacks consistency. Its starts off really strong and picks up periodically throughout the album.  I would say its worthy of purchase.

Do you want it (if you don't own it)? I'll sell it for cheap.

November 25, 2011, 04:23:37 AM
A review of some of the Black Sabbath albums should be included.

November 25, 2011, 06:54:49 AM
Yeah, I've been revisiting my old Sabbath albums quite a bit lately, and I think that they could definitely benefit from the old DLA treatment. Sure, they're universally recognized for their influence on (and creation of) the genre, but I've noticed that they also did quite a bit of pioneering work in the field of narrative songwriting in a heavy metal context. Check out songs like "National Acrobat," "Killing Yourself to Live," and "Wheels of Confusion" from their later period to witness the process of a band transcending the verse/chorus structures of rock'n'roll for something more based in narrative movements. I don't know if it was because they were hanging out with the Yes guys at the time (Rick Wakeman even busted out some expert synth work on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) or what, but the Vol. 4 through Sabotage period certainly bears some investigation. Pretty great lyrics on those albums as well, even moreso than the early stuff.

November 29, 2011, 06:01:27 PM
Crimson Relic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_pCnk5RtO0

This album with the Divine Eve stuff never gets old.

December 03, 2011, 05:37:06 PM
Marduk has always been shit. If you want the true amusical black metal, go for it. I'll sleep through.

Divine Eve is great, apparently working on a new album...

Is the new Demoncy going to suck ass? His album after JID was good but never reached the heights that album hit.