Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus

Re: Burzum - Belus
February 25, 2010, 06:24:24 PM
Yes they used tritone chords to make it sound like a Burzum song, the way Lost Wisdom has those kinds of chords.  It's just supposed to be a post-Burzum song.  I don't know whether he wrote the music to it or not, but the point is the same either way.  If the news songs have the same sound as that one, it is because that Darkthrone song already was trying to be similar to Burzum.

February 25, 2010, 06:40:28 PM
This album is a failure for the reason that it is the first Burzum album that is not listenable from beginning to end.  The intro being what it is, is really irrelevant.  It's an adornment, and is only as good as the rest of the album allows it to be.  Belus' Dod was terrible, as this piece went absolutely nowhere, and was in a word, boring.  Glemselen's Elv, while lighter, folksier, and sentimental, is not all the worse off for it, actually has development, and sounds like a more modern version of something that could have appeared on Filosofem.  It actually has a certain grace about it, and while not as great as older Burzum, is still enjoyable.  Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning sounds goofy, and once again goes nowhere.  Sverddans has no place on a Burzum album.  Keliohesten is infuriating because it could have developed into something akin to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss after the first riff pair.  Morgenroede is unjustifiably long, as is the outro, but both showcase some fragments of transcendental melodies.  The album ranges from boring, to Varg being a tease, to enjoyable but not as good as the old works.  The real tragedy is that this is the first Burzum album I'll only be keeping a few songs from, and this is what is meant by the directionlessness talked about when criticizing the album, that it sort of hits upon quality by accident of Varg naturally being a good composer, but not giving anywhere near his all.  It is not unified, and this prevents it from being the same spell that Varg once conjured.
Everything in the above post is correct.

I think a major problem for Varg is that after Filosofem he's attempted to move from casting spells to telling stories.  He should stick to sorcery.

February 25, 2010, 06:54:42 PM
good concept does not equal good execution.

It helps to read what people say before you run off some standard ANUS/DLA crap.

I swear, I'm seeing more and more "me too!" posts with each coming day.

February 25, 2010, 06:58:14 PM
I am seeing that too.   I am.

February 25, 2010, 06:59:47 PM

It helps to read what people say before you run off some standard ANUS/DLA crap.

It's almost as though a consensus is being formed.

E

February 25, 2010, 07:04:08 PM
It's almost as though a consensus is being formed.

Or, God forbid, a school of thought is being established. RACITS!!1!

February 25, 2010, 07:24:21 PM

It is as unwise to confuse them as to isolate them.

Belus has the best concept in the entire discography. I believe that 50% - 60% of the execution is good. This makes to my mind, a worthy, yet not immortal album.

February 25, 2010, 07:30:51 PM

I have to say that defending Belus in this shitstorm may be attracting for emotional reasons too, it is not good to presume such things about people.

Yet, I find asseverations of this album as a complete failure to be completely unfounded, and ANUS pre-reviews and reviews to be purposely viral.

February 25, 2010, 08:32:07 PM
I am seeing that too.   I am.

Amazing.  Simply amazing.  You win one internet, good sir!

February 25, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
I had a mixed reaction. While some of the tracks (like the third and fourth) surprised me as I found them too "sunny", I keep listening to the album, like meganerd does.
We already heard the second track in Daudi Baldrs, without distortion and vocals. Sverddans seems out of context, much like "War" on Burzum.
I listened to Belus while falling asleep, like I did with all Burzum's album even before reading that Vikerness conceived them to be listened that way. I listened to it on the train, coming home from work. I gave it another couple of listens. As far as I went with it, my opinion about Belus sits halfway between those of Octuple and Cargést.
Time will tell.

February 26, 2010, 12:13:11 AM

Realization: Accept it and listen to it for what it is, without worrying about the butthurt kiddies who can't accept the fact so "defecate" all over it.

Which is every single person who expresses distaste for the album in any fashion, right? This discussion is honestly tiring me. Am I allowed to say that I think this album isn't the most interesting thing I've heard, or does that not meet the standards and expectations for the independent, open-minded, diverse and unique arbiters of taste around here? I enjoy engaging discussion over the validity of one's criticism, but this is becoming all too much a case of "butt-hurt kiddies" flinging insults at each from both sides; with no positive conclusion or result.
Classicism in art, royalism in politics, Catholicism in religion

February 26, 2010, 12:37:03 AM
I'm not going to bother listening to it. The scathing reviews and the scattered disagreement both killed it. Besides, there is a large enough host of uncontested albums that do not draw any questions about their established excellence. I'd also rank Engram amongst 'em btw ;)
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 26, 2010, 03:50:29 AM
This album is a failure for the reason that it is the first Burzum album that is not listenable from beginning to end.  The intro being what it is, is really irrelevant.  It's an adornment, and is only as good as the rest of the album allows it to be.  Belus' Dod was terrible, as this piece went absolutely nowhere, and was in a word, boring.  Glemselen's Elv, while lighter, folksier, and sentimental, is not all the worse off for it, actually has development, and sounds like a more modern version of something that could have appeared on Filosofem.  It actually has a certain grace about it, and while not as great as older Burzum, is still enjoyable.  Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning sounds goofy, and once again goes nowhere.  Sverddans has no place on a Burzum album.  Keliohesten is infuriating because it could have developed into something akin to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss after the first riff pair.  Morgenroede is unjustifiably long, as is the outro, but both showcase some fragments of transcendental melodies.  The album ranges from boring, to Varg being a tease, to enjoyable but not as good as the old works.  The real tragedy is that this is the first Burzum album I'll only be keeping a few songs from, and this is what is meant by the directionlessness talked about when criticizing the album, that it sort of hits upon quality by accident of Varg naturally being a good composer, but not giving anywhere near his all.  It is not unified, and this prevents it from being the same spell that Varg once conjured.
Everything in the above post is correct.

I think a major problem for Varg is that after Filosofem he's attempted to move from casting spells to telling stories.  He should stick to sorcery.

All too true. Belus is not terrible, Prozakistan's hijinks notwithstanding(looks like you can troll trolls after all). However, it *is* terribly mechanical. It seems to suffer from a problem that afflicts a lot of other recent black metal like Advent Parallax, Kembatinen Premaster, Negative Plane, and Deathspell Omega, as well as a few older semi-classics like Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and Eld. Namely, its self-awareness leads the listener down a pre-defined path. There is too much intent, and too little risk. No wandering or exploring. Just a mission, which is not bad in and of itself - but if the outcome is predetermined from the start, what's the point of enduring the journey? That's like being in the Olympics but making sure all the other runners have been drugged.

What works for Bach does not necessarily work for black metal. Every minutely precise movement in Belus is an intended one. Everything that occurs, does so under full awareness. Sounds good on paper, but as a result, the album is manacled to its own intent, making it a very conscious, legible, dictative album - whereas Hvis Lyset Tar Oss (and, notably, just about every other excellent black metal album) is the exact opposite; it is dreams, mysteries, sleeptalking, and participation in (not academic knowledge of) myth. Not only that, but the "OK for anyone else, shitty for Burzum" is an entirely valid complaint. We expect more from kings than paupers - else they don't remain kings for long...
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

February 26, 2010, 04:14:53 AM
By the above reasoning, In the Nightside Eclipse isn't that great.

February 26, 2010, 05:21:17 AM
My opinion falls somewhere in between the extremes of either camp.

Is it old Burzum?  No. Could we have expected it to be old Burzum? No.

In that context, is it good? Yes.

Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.