Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus

Re: Burzum - Belus
February 28, 2010, 10:51:44 PM
....And nothing is good enough for my godly self to listen to.

Liking almost nothing is not the problem itself; nearly hipsterian levels of neuroticism about what is being liked and what is not being liked, is.

Xr

March 01, 2010, 01:03:49 AM
Humor aside,

Belus will be a blockbuster, one kind or another. Most here wanted it to be a sort of anti-statement, something that would puzzle, alienate or put people into disbelief; something that would deliver answers or at least questions in times of literal indifference. Sadly it isn't. It is transparent. In being thus, anything can be projected through it. It is relative. Read the statements designated official by Varg himself, this is not even concealed. Belus is designed to please a particular kind of people, and it seems that it is the first Burzum album which actually went through (or suffered, if one wants) a process of design, even if most of its material is recycling of older, conjecturally inferior raw material. Nonetheless, each note of this album was tangible currency from the point a new album seemed to be coming on: but this is the least thing that can be blamed, this was clear from the beginning. But nor can still those be blamed who are bitterly disappointed by this je-ne-sais-quoi vanilla version of Burzum, for older material was far too outstanding and yet is still to be understood by the wider audience.

Humor on,

I think with Belus, Varg was trying too hard, and won.

What you see is vaguely related.

March 01, 2010, 05:41:24 PM
http://byelobog.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/burzum-belus-proceeds-to-haiti-earthquake-victims/

He still talks about preserving the purity of the Nordic heritage, but his entire political agenda has shifted.  By his own admission, he is no longer making black metal.  But it sounds like black metal.  I will abstain from value judgment in regard to Belus, but it seems evident that Varg is very confused.

The system's corrective measures have tainted him.

E

March 01, 2010, 05:49:39 PM
Wow, first the Scientology dvds, now Beluses. Like they don't already have sufficient piles of rubbish.

March 02, 2010, 01:22:46 AM
I was ignoring the bit about Haiti.  The ideological shift is still evident.

Varg attempted to make something that sounds like black metal without the spirit of black metal.  Had he sought another form (i.e. tried to make the music sound different, rather than saying 'if it sounds similar, it's because I am the same person' and so forth), the work would perhaps be more successful.

March 02, 2010, 01:43:30 AM
Actually, he attempted to make something that sounds like Burzum, and he succeeded.  Oh, wait, no he didn't - this sounds nothing like Burzum.  In fact, it's like Venom.  In fact, it's a cross between Drudkh, Enslaved, Borknagar, and Eastern European Black Metal as a whole.  Except it isn't, because it sounds exactly like Burzum.  Ahh, it's so confusing, having these conflicting truths, isn't it?  Until, that is, you realise that they aren't conflicting, and that people are simply hearing what they want to in the music (hey, I hear traces of Kraftwerk, too!  Jeez, Varg should really stick with his own style, instead of copying all of these other bands).  Hell, I could say that early Darkthrone is just Bathory worship recorded with bad equipment.  I'd be right, from one perspective, but wrong, from another.  Perspective itself, however, can never be absolutely "right" or "wrong" - it will take some time, it seems, before Belus is accepted to be, surprise surprise, a triumph.

Antihuman, what you've basically just said is "if he'd made an effort to make his music not his music, then it would have been better".  In your attempt to curry favour with the ANUS crowd (this is my fallback position, as you can see - all of you anti-Belus faggots are evidently attempting to get in with the ANUSites), you've actually gone against one of the fundamental points of the DLA, which is that music which is written to adhere to specific criteria as regards "genre" etc. is, generally, crap, given that the music which defines a "genre" is always the best of that "genre".

March 02, 2010, 02:32:33 AM
Industry observers have praised “Belus” for its imaginative melodies and use of atmosphere, calling it “the most mature black metal album ever created.” It will be distributed worldwide by Plastic Head (UK).
Mature metal: Cynic, Emperor, Wolves in the Throne Room, Skepticism, Opeth, Ephel Duath
Immature metal: Deicide, Sarcofago, Profanatica, Cannibal Corpse, Graveland, Immortal, Rigor Mortis

By and large: fuck maturity in metal. The ones who pull it off without succumbing to eternal masturbation are few and far between. Metal revels, by design, in the chaos of the cavalier, and its wisdom lies in experience, not knowledge.

March 02, 2010, 02:46:57 AM
Your argument was almost ruined by Deicid :p

March 02, 2010, 02:52:45 AM
The system's corrective measures have tainted him.

I got a couple years on him, but he easily looks a decade older. The grind of prison life has probably taken its toll from the inside outward and finally on to his acts in life. Why destroy the spark of life in people and call it reform?

March 02, 2010, 03:06:25 AM
Someone said on this topic burzum's ambient work was bad. Do you really think so? I think daudi baldrs is good.

March 02, 2010, 01:28:04 PM
Earache boss deliberately leaked 'Belus', stating that the album was "garbage" and Vikernes a "racist dickhead".

http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheBlog/archives/2010/02/23/vigilante-file-sharing

March 02, 2010, 02:58:28 PM
http://byelobog.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/burzum-belus-proceeds-to-haiti-earthquake-victims/

I just hope that will ultimately alienate and prevent EVERYONE on this forum from buying that album. Either pro or anti Belus. Vikernes decision is so unbelievably fucked up on logic (and "individualistic" or simply cynical) that I don't even know where to start, but its nice that he informed us on what he will spend our eventual money. That transparency gives me a clean choice. Mock the philantropist!

March 02, 2010, 03:05:09 PM

March 02, 2010, 04:10:15 PM
Quote from: Cargest
Antihuman, what you've basically just said is "if he'd made an effort to make his music not his music, then it would have been better".  In your attempt to curry favour with the ANUS crowd (this is my fallback position, as you can see - all of you anti-Belus faggots are evidently attempting to get in with the ANUSites), you've actually gone against one of the fundamental points of the DLA, which is that music which is written to adhere to specific criteria as regards "genre" etc. is, generally, crap, given that the music which defines a "genre" is always the best of that "genre".

Get in with the ANUSites?  What does that even mean?  And why are you so upset over people not liking Belus?  Does it really bother you that much?