Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus

Re: Burzum - Belus
June 26, 2010, 10:19:14 AM
I've been avoiding this album recently, but today curiosity finally got the better of me, I wish it hadn't.  This is quite possibly the most disappointing album ever released.

June 26, 2010, 12:53:14 PM
This is quite possibly the most disappointing album ever released.

Hyperbole is the best thing in the world ever!!

June 26, 2010, 01:10:53 PM
I still think it's a very good black metal album. But not a good Burzum album.

June 26, 2010, 01:50:02 PM
This is quite possibly the most disappointing album ever released.

Hyperbole is the best thing in the world ever!!

I will make no concessions here, this album sounds like 15 years worth of black metal cliches rolled up and neatly packaged for the consumer, with the work 'Burzum' printed on the front cover just to prove that this really is tr00 black metal and not bland pop music.  This is pathetic, soulless, worthless crap, completely devoid of any content whatsoever, and considering the stature this band has held in the past I think my previous statement was justified.  We should not make concessions to this album just because of some aesthetic qualities leftover from past releases, if we do we undermine everything that Burzum stood for.

June 26, 2010, 04:16:18 PM
I still think it's a very good black metal album. But not a good Burzum album.

I am in complete agreement.

June 26, 2010, 04:45:34 PM
I will make no concessions here, this album sounds like 15 years worth of black metal cliches rolled up and neatly packaged for the consumer, with the work 'Burzum' printed on the front cover just to prove that this really is tr00 black metal and not bland pop music.  This is pathetic, soulless, worthless crap, completely devoid of any content whatsoever, and considering the stature this band has held in the past I think my previous statement was justified.  We should not make concessions to this album just because of some aesthetic qualities leftover from past releases, if we do we undermine everything that Burzum stood for.

Can you explain how it is so much different than any other Burzum album? There are many weak points in the discography up until know.

It's not great, but it is just as Burzum as previous albums and exactly what one would suspect if he listened to Filosofem, Daudi Baldrs, Hildskjalf, then Belus in order. The development in composition approach is pretty clear.

What's also strange is that then some people will respond by saying that Filosofem wasn't that great either, or that it is "pop music", but what is the significant difference between Filosofem and HLTO? They show a marked similarity in composition? And how does one get off calling any of it pop music? It doesn't have to be pop music to be bad, I think you're just throwing out as many negatives about it as possible.

Nothing about this albums sounds like the Troo Black Metal stereotype. It sounds even less commercial than previous albums. Especially the weird clean vocal parts. They're bad, but they're not there to sound Tr00 or commerical. Nor were they inspired by hipsterism.

In terms of intention, this was meant to be his most meaningful album. I was supposed to tell a meaningful story. He just messed up.

And I think the homosexual stories regarding Burzum are a bit premature.

June 26, 2010, 05:18:41 PM
Can you explain how it is so much different than any other Burzum album? There are many weak points in the discography up until know.

It's not great, but it is just as Burzum as previous albums and exactly what one would suspect if he listened to Filosofem, Daudi Baldrs, Hildskjalf, then Belus in order. The development in composition approach is pretty clear.

What's also strange is that then some people will respond by saying that Filosofem wasn't that great either, or that it is "pop music", but what is the significant difference between Filosofem and HLTO? They show a marked similarity in composition? And how does one get off calling any of it pop music? It doesn't have to be pop music to be bad, I think you're just throwing out as many negatives about it as possible.

Nothing about this albums sounds like the Troo Black Metal stereotype. It sounds even less commercial than previous albums. Especially the weird clean vocal parts. They're bad, but they're not there to sound Tr00 or commerical. Nor were they inspired by hipsterism.

In terms of intention, this was meant to be his most meaningful album. I was supposed to tell a meaningful story. He just messed up.

And I think the homosexual stories regarding Burzum are a bit premature.

I hate to be the one to be the bitch here, but it doesn't sound like you're too familiar with Burzum's work. Belus bears only a template of similarity to the previous four efforts. If you're looking for style, then there's a million Burzum clones out there that did it better than Varg himself on Belus.

There IS a significant difference between Filosofem and HLTO. The latter realized the highest potential of it's wave of black metal and ended it by proxy. There was simply nothing more that could be done afterwards of significance. There was need for a new wave with a new approach. Filosofem is a pop album, but that doesn't mean its bad. I feel like that album prefaced a lot of Drone Doom to come in the following years. Nobody's getting off by calling it that, we're just calling it as we see it. The composition is highly different, one possesses a metal formula, one has a pop formula.

Belus is highly commercial. When Varg is on guitar world magazine, you can't sit behind your computer and bullshit anyone by saying Belus wasn't commercialized. I'm sure you're also referring to the albums released before he convicted of the murder right? Like Burzum, Det Som Engang Var and Aske? I'm sure they were highly commercialized by Deathlike Silence in the slums of fucking Oslo Norway.  Varg's always been big in the media, but Belus was highly overhyped, overpromoted and under-abled in effort.

The weird clean vocal parts were also used on Det Som Engang Var. It's nothing new.

Varg was not homosexual. Euronymous maybe toyed with the idea in reference to blasphemy and anti-christian sentiments.

This was not a meaningful album at all. It's a half-assed effort. It will be forgotten easily and if you actually enjoy the music, then good for you! It's going to take more than a bunch of statements that run perpendicular to my frame of Burzum reference to change my opinion about any of it.

June 26, 2010, 08:50:29 PM
There IS a significant difference between Filosofem and HLTO. The latter realized the highest potential of it's wave of black metal and ended it by proxy. There was simply nothing more that could be done afterwards of significance. There was need for a new wave with a new approach. Filosofem is a pop album, but that doesn't mean its bad. I feel like that album prefaced a lot of Drone Doom to come in the following years. Nobody's getting off by calling it that, we're just calling it as we see it. The composition is highly different, one possesses a metal formula, one has a pop formula.

Could you explain how it is pop music? Or am I to take your word for it?

Belus is highly commercial. When Varg is on guitar world magazine, you can't sit behind your computer and bullshit anyone by saying Belus wasn't commercialized. I'm sure you're also referring to the albums released before he convicted of the murder right? Like Burzum, Det Som Engang Var and Aske? I'm sure they were highly commercialized by Deathlike Silence in the slums of fucking Oslo Norway.  Varg's always been big in the media, but Belus was highly overhyped, overpromoted and under-abled in effort.

The fact that it is promoted through commercial means doesn't make it commercial music. If you could reach all the readers of Guitar World with your message, wouldn't you?

The weird clean vocal parts were also used on Det Som Engang Var. It's nothing new.

They were especially bad.

Varg was not homosexual. Euronymous maybe toyed with the idea in reference to blasphemy and anti-christian sentiments.

I was referring to fictional stories in the vein of the ones for Metallica and Death, used to mock bands that made a career out of making a misrepresentation of metal. Burzum didn't do this.

This was not a meaningful album at all. It's a half-assed effort. It will be forgotten easily and if you actually enjoy the music, then good for you! It's going to take more than a bunch of statements that run perpendicular to my frame of Burzum reference to change my opinion about any of it.

It was meant to be meaningful is what I said. This album is being represented as a willful attempt to cash in on his own representation when to me it doesn't look like that at all. Everyone here is turning their backs on someone whom they once praised and already looking for another hero to jerk off. see: http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,9263.0.html

It just disappoints me the way you all apparently form opinions.

June 26, 2010, 10:17:53 PM
Who gives a shit about a hipster's disappointment?

June 27, 2010, 12:25:42 AM
God, you people are fags.  I'm not even drunk.

June 27, 2010, 05:03:28 AM

The difference is that this album is nothing more than an attempt to synthesize a particular style, which, despite the fact that it may be related to previous works on an aesthetic level, does not share their organizing principle or their spirit.  The weaknesses of past albums were always kept in check by the intensity of expression that was characteristic of the old Burzum, this album is technically more consistent than previous works, but fails at communicating anything meaningful.  It is clear from your posts that you only evaluate music in terms of technical competence, in which case I would suggest that black metal is not the genre for you.

June 29, 2010, 03:31:01 AM
My opinions of the record would be ones of disappointment which to some extent i saw coming. I wasn't too particularly into the Burzum ambient albums. He had 17 some odd years to write a Black Metal Masterpiece. I think the attention around the album was the closest thing to watching a Black Metal legend freshly out of prison for murder succumb to the idea of cashing in on his fame. With the movie that stars people casted in mormon vampire films for 13 year old fat chicks, a very mediocre long awaited album, what next a Burzum tour?
Are we gonna watch Southern Lord pay for a Burzum Sunn O))) world tour where Maelific and Stephen O'Malley can be Vargs band? Some things should remain dead if there original intended outlooks become compromised. Burzum will always be legendary and an important aspect of black metal, but as time goes on you cant always be on top of your game and certain record become an embarrassing omen to a bands integrity.

The albums is a Burzum album influenced by Burzum clone bands. It would have been impressive if somebody else did it, in my opinion.

September 24, 2010, 08:27:57 AM
Belus : an album crushed by the weight of expectations, the realization that men are not gods, and subsequent reveling in destroying those gods. Not grouping all those who legitimately dislike this, but much of the reaction to Belus mirrors the way Americans and British cannibalize celebrities after they've run their course through tabloid culture.

September 24, 2010, 02:47:33 PM
Belus : an album crushed by the weight of expectations, the realization that men are not gods, and subsequent reveling in destroying those gods. Not grouping all those who legitimately dislike this, but much of the reaction to Belus mirrors the way Americans and British cannibalize celebrities after they've run their course through tabloid culture.

So you're saying it's as good as prior Burzum albums?

September 24, 2010, 04:20:11 PM
No, and I don't think my post conveys that. This is a thread of extremes. No one can really handle that this is just "decent" or "ok".

I'm not sure I should have bumped this thread at all though. Maybe it's time for us to move on...