Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus

Re: Burzum - Belus
September 24, 2010, 05:05:57 PM
No, and I don't think my post conveys that. This is a thread of extremes. No one can really handle that this is just "decent" or "ok".

I'm not sure I should have bumped this thread at all though. Maybe it's time for us to move on...

In the context of past Burzum it's pretty fucking awfull, just like Anthems is a turd with ITNSE in context.

September 24, 2010, 05:20:17 PM
No, and I don't think my post conveys that. This is a thread of extremes. No one can really handle that this is just "decent" or "ok".

I'm not sure I should have bumped this thread at all though. Maybe it's time for us to move on...

If you don't think Belus is as good as prior Burzum albums, then this might be misleading:

Belus : an album crushed by the weight of expectations, the realization that men are not gods, and subsequent reveling in destroying those gods. Not grouping all those who legitimately dislike this, but much of the reaction to Belus mirrors the way Americans and British cannibalize celebrities after they've run their course through tabloid culture.

Can you see how that would be the case?

The rage against Belus isn't celebrity-worship, it's disappointment.

September 24, 2010, 06:44:21 PM
English as a second language? The premise of that post conveys that ;

A. He is a fallen idol to some. If I felt it was as good as past releases I wouldn't have made the premise. I would have attacked the idea in the same way cragest has been.

B. The weight of expectations crushes it. Meaning people were hoping it would be better than it was. Meaning it wasn't as good as the Burzum standard.

C. This mirrors the way tabloid culture destroys celebrities after they've run their course. Meaning Burzum has ran its course.

<forum hair splitting garbage post>

September 25, 2010, 08:57:37 AM
In searching for the best in life (and in this specific case; music) I employ the following system to listening to music to save "wasting time" on mediocre / worthless / below par releases.

Anything that I consider to be 55% or less is attributed to the compost bin. I don't bother comparing this to the greats, I'd rather spend time focusing on the very best (ie focusing on the positive end of the bell curve distribution). On a 5-star system like I use on RYM, this is a 0.5.

Unfortunately Belus (whilst it certainly delivers in a few patches) is inconsistent, and lacks the vision and spirit of the early work. It does not create any resonance within my mind; it doesn't help me dream.

Perhaps the "disappointment" is a form of celebrity murder, ala the tabloids, but is there any reason why we should bother with albums that would scrap up a C-grade rating if they were lucky?

It simply does not hold up. I am actively searching for the best 100-150 albums in Metal, and this is no where near it as far as I am concerned.

September 25, 2010, 11:11:38 AM
Those 100 albums might be better appreciated if you listened to the next 100 once and a while too. Even primo pussy gets boring man.

This situation is like watching your favorite fighter continue to step into the arena after his prime. Flashes of the old footwork, speed and talent might be there, and the joy of just watching him compete is enough for some fans. Yet it's perfectly reasonable why other true diehard fans of said fighter would rather avoid watching him compete, in that state, all together. I liken this more to the first Leon Spinks fight than Larry Holmes or Trevor Berbick.

September 25, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
Of the next hundred, releases by perhaps Zyklon-B, Manes, or even I Shalt Become stand out a lot more than 'Belus.' Just sayin'.

September 25, 2010, 12:59:18 PM
I don't listen to Burzum clones so I'd have no clue. Burzum is one of the relative few BM artists that ever engaged me deeply at all.

Death metal 666. I think it is a good time to remind everyone that Incantation, Slayer and Morbid Angel musically rip anything Burzum has ever done into pieces.

September 25, 2010, 01:00:04 PM
Scratch that, I did like some of Drudkh.

September 25, 2010, 01:20:09 PM
Death metal 666. I think it is a good time to remind everyone that Incantation, Slayer and Morbid Angel musically rip anything Burzum has ever done into pieces.

In terms of technicality, presumably.

September 25, 2010, 01:22:58 PM
Technically, spiritually, magically, thematically whateverically.

September 25, 2010, 02:24:34 PM
Or not, as the case may be is.

September 25, 2010, 05:03:44 PM
When a staunch DEATH METAL elitist and troll meets an unabashed Burzum fanboy...

Yo here is another confession ;  Burzum isn't even the best Black Metal.

September 25, 2010, 05:09:45 PM
When a staunch DEATH METAL elitist and troll meets an unabashed Burzum fanboy...

Yo here is another confession ;  Burzum isn't even the best Black Metal.

That's a bit unfair, not everyone who likes Burzum is a Burzum fanboy. I listen to a lot more death metal, and I listen to death metal a lot more often, but I still feel Burzum is of higher quality. Is Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, which is probably their peak, necessarily my taste? No, I love listening to it when the time is right, but if you're going to find me listening to Burzum regularly it's most likely going to be Det Som Engang Var or the self-titled I'm listening to. I know there's a stigma about Burzum being unbeatable by all of their fanboys, as you put it, but we don't need to shatter it by pretending that we hate the group, or that their quality is lower than it actually is, just to prove a point.

September 25, 2010, 05:13:30 PM
ITNE > any Burzum.

Then again, very little (and no Metal) > ITNE.

September 25, 2010, 10:28:48 PM
ITNE is where the pussification of Black Metal begins. Wrath of the Tyrant please.