Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Progressive Rock

Progressive Rock
February 22, 2010, 05:31:22 PM
There are some good progressive rock albums. I like Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, Gentle Giant. What is your opinion on this strange genre?

Re: Progressive Rock
February 22, 2010, 06:32:09 PM
Gentle Giant are great although I've over listened to them now. My favourite progressive rock at the moment is Van Der Graaf Generator. They are a very dark band for progressive rock, but sadly overlooked by so many. This is one of my favourite songs of theirs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmhP6YiN6s
Yes are good and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a nearly bearable Genesis album. Pink Floyd bores me although I like Syd Barret's Madcap Laughs album of deranged pop music. I haven't devoted any time to listening to King Crimson or Camel however.
You could draw comparisons with extreme metal in the genre's structure: some bands went all out for technicality, some went for mood and atmosphere, a lot of them sold out eventually. Though maybe this is the general form of any musical genre.

February 22, 2010, 09:18:02 PM
It's been a progressive rock month for me, have been listening to Yes, King Crimson, Rush and now Porcupine Tree.

February 23, 2010, 06:44:25 AM
I was never into the Canterbury scene except for Soft Machine. I do think stuff like Camel and Porcupine Tree are rather dull and airy. Favorites are Zappa, Beefheart, Popol Vuh. Early Doors is good. Any recommendations similar to these?

February 23, 2010, 06:48:01 AM
I was never into the Canterbury scene except for Soft Machine. I do think stuff like Camel and Porcupine Tree are rather dull and airy. Favorites are Zappa, Beefheart, Popol Vuh. Any recommendations similar to these?

Go for other krautrock: Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Amon Duul II, Can, Faust, Cluster and company.

February 23, 2010, 08:04:08 PM
Camel is basically Opeth from another era.

The German artists like Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk offer a much more intelligent approach.

King Crimson and Brian Eno are probably the best things to come from the English scene.

February 23, 2010, 08:42:54 PM
I recently listened to Magma's Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh. Seemed a different approach to nearly anything else I've heard. Any opinions on this band/album?

February 23, 2010, 10:52:59 PM
Can anyone recommend Brian Eno's best works? Would appreciate if you include his works with Robert Fripp as well. I'm just not sure where to start with Brian Eno considering how much music he has.

February 23, 2010, 11:03:49 PM
"Evening Star" is a nice starting point.

I believe it is available in the audiofile section.

February 24, 2010, 01:30:16 AM
I don't think Brian Eno is progressive rock, for what I know.

On another note, I made a topic about techniques (meditation, mental exercises, etc.) to improve focus/concentration, especially to those who suffer from ADD, and it got deleted. That's fucked up.

February 24, 2010, 07:05:59 AM
Can anyone recommend Brian Eno's best works? Would appreciate if you include his works with Robert Fripp as well. I'm just not sure where to start with Brian Eno considering how much music he has.

"Discreet Music" is some of his clearest ambient statements and should be very easy to get into for fans of classical music and Tangerine Dream. Of the Fripp collaborations, "No Pussyfooting" is a small gem.

February 27, 2010, 07:01:11 AM
Consider Frank Zappa. A blend of humor, rock (progressive), jazz, classical music and wits.

February 27, 2010, 12:16:48 PM

-Ambient 1 : Music For Airports
-Another Green World

February 27, 2010, 01:53:27 PM

-Ambient 1 : Music For Airports
-Another Green World

Apollo is also a good release.

February 28, 2010, 01:35:55 AM
For who's interested in prog/hard rock with folk-ethno elements (and some jazz parts) do try old LP's of romanian band Phoenix. (If you know Allain Stivell, Jethro Thull etc and enjoy it) The recommended albums would be:
Cei ce ne-au dat nume 1972
Mugur de fluier 1974
Cantafabule 1975