Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metalheads who went on to greater things

Metalheads who went on to greater things
February 26, 2010, 03:50:46 PM
It's easy to be a metalhead, and not that hard to drop out of society and live on welfare or a trust fund and be a metal die-hard. What's hard is being true to metal, and also finding a role for yourself in society where you're able to use your talents, be effective, and keep your metal ideals intact and make them happen in the world, even if obliquely (oblique in this usage: instead of charging at the dragon screaming IMA GONA KILL YA, get a law degree and impose a dragon tax).

Here's some who have...

Re: Metalheads who went on to greater things
February 26, 2010, 04:48:19 PM
I think half of Darkthrone became a teacher.

If burning down churches and killing people counts as better things, I can think of another one.

February 26, 2010, 05:38:48 PM
When I spoke with Lord Worm on Cryptopsy's "Back To The Worms" tour in 2004, he mentioned that he was an ESL tutor.

I have heard somewhere that Nergal of Behemoth is certified as a museum curator, though I am unsure as to the validity of this claim.

Dave Slave from Sadistik Exekution makes instructional bass guitar videos (don't know if this counts as something greater).

February 26, 2010, 06:04:41 PM
The underground has plenty of these types, because the band members needed to find other activities and jobs to support themselves on the way, while DIY, occult symbols that need decoding and structurally complex art in music and lyrics are conducive for learning, healthy thinking, avoiding depression and discovering your own natural abilities. See also why death metal is good for you.

Mainstream success can be far less thankful in the end, because your life will be contracts, pandering and groupies; and when your place in the spotlight is gone, you find yourself a 40 year old alcoholic who knows nothing else except riffs on guitar, and most of those are mediocre because they were planned in a record company meeting.

February 26, 2010, 08:16:47 PM
The former members of Fearless Iranians From Hell have gone on to accomplish some interesting things, if I remember correctly.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/interviews/fearless_iranians_from_hell/

February 26, 2010, 10:06:54 PM
What I'm seeing here in many of these posts holds little substance. The higher echelons of society are the areas where any human being should aspire to be. My uncle's story gave me great inspiration - he graduated from a state school when he was only 20 and was listening to Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Slayer and Metallica whilst he applied for Medical School, and finaly got accepted at Duke University. Nearly 20 years later, he has an MD and a PHD - teaches at a University and mocks students who listen to electronic music and poppy rock music. He still wears an earring, still fancies a Slayer t shirt whenever he's not teaching and still buys CD's.

February 27, 2010, 07:08:45 AM
What I'm seeing here in many of these posts holds little substance. The higher echelons of society are the areas where any human being should aspire to be. My uncle's story gave me great inspiration - he graduated from a state school when he was only 20 and was listening to Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Slayer and Metallica whilst he applied for Medical School, and finaly got accepted at Duke University. Nearly 20 years later, he has an MD and a PHD - teaches at a University and mocks students who listen to electronic music and poppy rock music. He still wears an earring, still fancies a Slayer t shirt whenever he's not teaching and still buys CD's.

Funny aside: I have a friend whose father is a pathologist. He told me some metal albums in the family collection often went missing and that they could only be at his father's workplace. The man is most likely performing autopsies to the music of Metallica and the likes.

I believe I have read somewhere that King Diamond is a pharmacist.

February 27, 2010, 07:26:34 AM
I heard hat from Gorgoroth went on to become a director of sorts for a company

E

February 27, 2010, 12:58:10 PM
František Štorm (Master's Hammer) founded the Storm Type Foundry in Prague in 1993 with the aim of restoring the values of classical typography for the benefit of digital technologies.

http://www.stormtype.com/

February 27, 2010, 02:33:29 PM
Louis Panzer, the headbanging NOCTURNUS keyboardist, is president of support company for one-call and utility locate services.

March 29, 2010, 08:50:13 PM
Renato Gallina of diSEMBOWELMENT now teaches graphic design at an Australian university:

https://www.alumni.rmit.edu.au/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=559

March 30, 2010, 03:27:33 PM
From wikipedia:

Doug Cerrito (born November 1969) is an American guitar player best known as the guitarist for New York death metal band Suffocation from 1990 until their split in 1998.

He also played on death metal band Hate Eternal's debut Conquering the Throne, though he left the band shortly afterwards, and on the Paranoid Delusion EP by the band Welt. Doug has reportedly become a full-time engineer,[citation needed] and declined to rejoin Suffocation in 2002.

I can't decide what's more successful: becoming an engineer or declining to rejoin the POS act that is Suffocation nowadays.

Trauco

March 30, 2010, 09:38:25 PM
When we talk about "Metalheads who went into GREATER things", the above examples cannot count, i.e. musicians who succeeded in metal. Sure, later on they did some undeniably cool stuff while inserting themselves into the world. But their greatest contributions were strictly cultural.

The examples truest to this post's heading should be metal *fans* who went into influencing society in significative ways. But if we search for them, we could hardly meet success.

Yet I think in 10-15 years' time we should be able to see how well metalheads - those influenced by the ideology of the ANUS - fared on the world. On this forum I daily see, for example, some pretty bright people. They are somewhat confused, though, and they just need time to polish themselves.

March 31, 2010, 06:45:36 AM
What are you expecting trauco a hessian hitler?

Becoming an engineer or a professor of statistics and economics in brazil seem like pretty valid successes to me. Authority positions like that have power within a society.
They aren't going to change the world, statisically speaking that's pretty much impossible for most of us. They can change their world however. Power over self = overman.

A few of my friends are similarly disillusioned, thinking they can change the world and whip their self righteous egohorse all the way to elysium fields peopled with burnished warsluts and historic figures reincarnated as anthropomorphic bongs. Naturally when they realize the futility of this dream they slide into depression, forsake any meaningful action and reach for the KY.
Mindsnares aside, It would be incredibly awesome to see some authority figure flying the anus algiz rune.

I've always wondered what happened to Hat, does anyone know where Jason Oliver, the vocalist and guitarist from infester ended up?