Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Scotch Whisky

Scotch Whisky
February 28, 2010, 03:57:07 PM
Any scotch whisky drinkers out there.  I've only recently discovered this, and despite the fact that I'm not usually an indulgent person I find this to my liking.  It has an air of nobility but isn't as tame as cognac.  So far I find myself enjoying the highland malts like Glenmorangie the most, although I quite like Island malts provided they are aged long enough to mellow them out a little.  I'm sipping a Buichladdich 17 year as I type and find it to my liking.

Re: Scotch Whisky
February 28, 2010, 04:08:02 PM
Whisky in Gaidhlig (Scottish Gaelic): Uisge Beatha; Translation: water of life.

I don't drink and never have, but I thought I'd share this fact.

February 28, 2010, 04:12:52 PM
Awful Scotch is awful. Kentucky or Tennessee bourbon is best.

February 28, 2010, 04:17:28 PM

There aren't any extant Tennessee bourbon brands that I know of.

February 28, 2010, 07:29:46 PM
True, but Tennessee is where some of the best known bourbon is manufactured. Additionally, the cultural origins blur the concept of state lines. Kentucky bluegrass and Bible Belt are other things that fairly ignore state boundaries.

February 28, 2010, 10:33:54 PM
I like some single malts.

February 28, 2010, 10:38:13 PM
Tennessee's native dram is "Tennessee Whiskey," similar to bourbon, but charcoal filtered.

February 28, 2010, 11:45:40 PM
A good glass such as the Glencairn glass is a great investment to get the most out of your dram: it concentrates and brings out the nose and taste.

My favourite scotches are from Islay (Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg), love that peat-smoke and brine. Another mainstay is Talisker.

For bourbon, I've tried Woodford Reserve and found it alright, better than Elijah Craig. I'll be trying Knob Creek next. On the whole, I find bourbon a little too caramely.

March 01, 2010, 07:58:57 AM
Knob Creek is pretty nice.

March 01, 2010, 08:13:42 AM
I don't really appreciate the drink as much as the feeling of drunkness.

--

off topic: I used to criticize americans for their excessive use of the words "really" and "just". (like, "Just stop it!", and saying really in every sentence). But now I'm doing it too.

March 01, 2010, 01:57:41 PM
Awful Scotch is awful.

True, but this really has no bearing on whether or not good scotch is good.  There aren't any 'bad' single malts that I know of either, its pretty much only blends that are really awful.  In my opinion any drink made purely from barley malt is off to a good start, but I'm not American...

March 01, 2010, 08:15:38 PM
On the topic of alchohol... any beer/ale fanatics out there? A well made ale is possibly the deepest, most complex and thirst quenching drink available, though I cannot stand the feeling of drunkenness so a single pint will do me just right. Whiskey is nice to an extent, but the overpowering alcoholic overtones render the taste slightly indistinct, whereas beer can have many flavours, and can be drunk in larger and more satisfying quantities. I'm reffering to cask ale here, which as far as i know is only brewed in England but probably in some other countries as well, so i reccomend you to try it if you have lost faith in beer as being piss coloured gassy swill which is wholly unpalatable (lager). good brands to try: Theakston, Thwaites, Moorhouse's, Cain's. i gather you can buy these in america too, but only in bottle form, without the freshly pulled taste and fireplace.

March 02, 2010, 01:29:29 AM
I think I prefer the taste of whisk than beer.

March 02, 2010, 02:17:56 AM

This is to my tastes as well. If you really want to have a Bourbon experience - and have a few dollars to spare - try Bookers:

http://www1.epinions.com/reviews/pr-Booker_s_Bourbon

March 02, 2010, 03:03:13 AM
Glenlivet Single Malt