Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Legions Archive comments and critique

Keep in mind that bands like Asphyx, Profanatica, Beherit and Celtic Frost somehow still get good reviews, even though the amount of trolling that negatively rated albums have to sustain gets obnoxious at times. Deathmetal.org doesn't seem to have a problem with exploring new releases that generally get panned by 'alternatively trendy hipster DLA staff that kids really enjoy emulating nowadays', and the Sadistic Metal Reviews often turn out surprisingly lenient with a pat in the back and a 'lose the gimmick, do some music' one-liner.
It's rather funny how that blog entry about Belus (not the official review, mind you) stirred up such a commotion and a storm of new anti-ANUS sentiment.

How many people have had a chance to listen to it yet?

Because... I just fucking hate this world.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

My biggest complaint with the DLA is that it is becoming far too - shall I say - idiosyncratic towards slandering, bashing and negatively criticizing every new metal album that is released, even ones by legendary artists still active today, listed in the DLA, that are remaining (or at least trying to remain) consistent and honest with their composed new releases.

You understand that it's only "slander" if it isn't true, right?  What do you want from reviewers?  A rubber stamp to validate your social choices?

It almost gives the feeling like no other new releases by existing bands or no other releases by ANY newer bands - good or bad, honest or disingenuous, sincere or fake, etc. - are ever good enough anymore to the standards of the DLA.  Is the DLA trying to give the impression that metal is dead or that they pretend or dwell on wishing it was 1980-something to 1990-something?  Sure, not everything being punched out today is all "good," but that shouldn't mean ignoring, let alone berating, what newer efforts by newcomers might still be worth a listen to either.

Where the fuck have you been?

For example, I found it rather dubious as well as rather arbitrarily biased that the review on the latest Burzum album, 'Belus' - which is about to be released this month - was rather very negative.  How many people have had a chance to listen to it yet?  I thought that reviews were to be more "objective" rather than "subjective."

The album leaked some time ago and reviewers got their advance copies weeks ago.  Why are you butthurt over this?

My biggest complaint with the DLA is that it is becoming far too - shall I say - idiosyncratic towards slandering, bashing and negatively criticizing every new metal album that is released, even ones by legendary artists still active today

What albums has it bashed that you think are good? Or is this a general objection as in, "don't be obnoxious and mention that Susie is fat as a house, she just started a new diet"?

It almost gives the feeling like no other new releases by existing bands or no other releases by ANY newer bands - good or bad, honest or disingenuous, sincere or fake, etc. - are ever good enough anymore to the standards of the DLA.  Is the DLA trying to give the impression that metal is dead or that they pretend or dwell on wishing it was 1980-something to 1990-something?  Sure, not everything being punched out today is all "good," but that shouldn't mean ignoring, let alone berating, what newer efforts by newcomers might still be worth a listen to either.

Where the fuck have you been?
Not to mention praise for newer acts such as:  Blaspherian, War Master, Disma, Birth A.D., and Cosmic Atrophy
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

I think we should brainstorm first, then test for veracity, and keep the results.

That's the problem with forums: no one to summarize the knowledge in these threads.

I think we should brainstorm first, then test for veracity, and keep the results.

That's the problem with forums: no one to summarize the knowledge in these threads.

Agreed.
The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

I've got a complaint. DLA needs to pump out more reviews. I'd enjoy reading reviews of albums that most of us hold sacred - more classic Kraftwerk, Fripp Eno Evening Star, every Beethoven symphony, Schubert, Bruckner, TANGERINE DREAM. I know that these are non-metal, and this site is death metal and black metal focused, but just a thought. Maybe more undernoticed metal bands that are decent, even though most of the classics are already covered.

I think this comment is under-rated. DLA does 99% underground metal, but there's no denying the relationship to other music like Dead Can Dance, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, King Crimson/Fripp and classical. Why not reach out? It's not like the DLA cares about losing kvlt status, or is in any danger of that given its extremist, meritocratic elitist pro-quality viewpoint.

That's sort of the problem with an information society: access is democratized but analytical talent is as sparsely distributed as ever...and even less respected.

How come the comments on the DLA blog / news feed thing aren't moderated in any way?

I mean, some of the forum arguments probably get out of hand, and we bag some other major Metal forums for being unintelligent, but really, neither of these two come close to this phenomenon!

The blog comments are an unending source of cheap lulz.

That's sort of the problem with an information society: access is democratized but analytical talent is as sparsely distributed as ever...and even less respected.

Definitely. We have a chance to fix it on forums, but it requires dedicated personnel.