Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Deathmetal.org critique

Deathmetal.org critique
March 08, 2010, 05:49:47 PM

It almost gives the feeling like no other new releases by existing bands or no other releases by ANY newer bands - good or bad, honest or disingenuous, sincere or fake, etc. - are ever good enough anymore to the standards of the DLA.  Is the DLA trying to give the impression that metal is dead or that they pretend or dwell on wishing it was 1980-something to 1990-something?  Sure, not everything being punched out today is all "good," but that shouldn't mean ignoring, let alone berating, what newer efforts by newcomers might still be worth a listen to either.

Where the fuck have you been?
Not to mention praise for newer acts such as:  Blaspherian, War Master, Disma, Birth A.D., and Cosmic Atrophy

All, with the exception of Disma, from Houston, outside of which there is a vast world, so lots of ground to cover, for example.

Re: Deathmetal.org critique
March 08, 2010, 06:38:21 PM
People get kicks out of lashing at Texan favoritism.
A question to deathmetal.org staff: do you accept death/black metal monographs from outsiders? There's indeed a great deal of local/national scenes to analyze, forgotten jewels to promote, idols to smash, and the site doesn't seem to suffer from the amount of backlash that the DLA gets. Poles could write about good B grade Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement, Ukrainians about above average ambient folk metal, Quebecers about solid techno-death, and the admins would check if quality standards are met.
Or is that already the general idea, and I'm jest restating what's obvious?

March 08, 2010, 07:06:11 PM
A question to deathmetal.org staff: do you accept death/black metal monographs from outsiders?

You can't believe how meager an amount of contact, input and comments we are getting overall despite being linked and promoted everywhere I look.

Yes, we are interested in hearing from people out there and publishing more texts like the ones linked over here. I even tried to get permission from Vasp Necrogoat to save his page from the Geocities collapse. It still can be recovered from Archive.org of course.

March 09, 2010, 01:36:00 AM

It almost gives the feeling like no other new releases by existing bands or no other releases by ANY newer bands - good or bad, honest or disingenuous, sincere or fake, etc. - are ever good enough anymore to the standards of the DLA.  Is the DLA trying to give the impression that metal is dead or that they pretend or dwell on wishing it was 1980-something to 1990-something?  Sure, not everything being punched out today is all "good," but that shouldn't mean ignoring, let alone berating, what newer efforts by newcomers might still be worth a listen to either.

Not to mention praise for newer acts such as:  Blaspherian, War Master, Disma, Birth A.D., and Cosmic Atrophy

All, with the exception of Disma, from Houston, outside of which there is a vast world, so lots of ground to cover, for example.

And I will be the first person to tip my hat to deathmetal.org.  Great site, great reviews, and they do the thankless work of finding good metal.  I have gotten some good tips and recommendations from there for sure!  You and Devamitra do a great job.  If people think DLA is too negative, deathmetal.org is a good alternative w/ high standards, nonetheless.

March 09, 2010, 04:54:24 PM

Beherit, Summoning, Skepticism, Disma and Birth A.D. are not from Houston.

While I like Finnish death metal, the standards in that article are a bit low for me.

It's kind of like the recent "Swedish revival." No, I don't want to hear Mefisto and Nirvana 2002. There's a reason those were the demos we didn't keep back in the day.

March 09, 2010, 06:29:26 PM

Beherit, Summoning, Skepticism, Disma and Birth A.D. are not from Houston.

While I like Finnish death metal, the standards in that article are a bit low for me.

That was pretty much my feeling as well about most of the Houston and Austin bands mentioned in this thread. But I appreciate the effort of speaking up for these bands that barely 10 people have heard, yet show some pathways to escape the worst of trends and post-millennium metal boredom. At least it's more practical than endless threads about "Engram" and "Belus", releases whose promotion machinery equals that of a presidential campaign and overanalyzed by everyone including your proverbial doG. It proves we need more people to speak up for their local scenes and explain what we are hearing, why and how did it come to be, through first-hand witnesses.

March 09, 2010, 07:07:00 PM
It proves we need more people to speak up for their local scenes and explain what we are hearing, why and how did it come to be, through first-hand witnesses.

I agree, and think we should be intolerant of all sub-par metal, with a brief exception for bands in the demo stage who may get better.

The ones that need the most intolerance are the populist bands in the B-range:

* Drudkh
* Negura Bunget
* Nargaroth
* Burzum Belus
* Immolation Majesty and Decay
* Cannibal Corpse

March 10, 2010, 12:22:33 PM
* Burzum Belus
* Immolation Majesty and Decay
I lol'd.

I've got a few contacts in French/Portuguese/Australian "scenes", though most of the music is probably crap.  Shall I tell them to get in touch with deathmetal.org?

March 10, 2010, 01:58:26 PM
I think sites like deathmetal.org are necessary to keep the sanity of ANUS dwellers. You know, let them out of the echo chamber once or twice a week.

March 10, 2010, 03:09:41 PM
I actually like Deathmetal.org better as a music resource than the DLA. The reviews are free of most "purple prose" which I think the DLA uses a bit too often. Additionally, people seem to get up in arms when something is not on the same level as the classics. Without sounding too populist, Deathmetal.org seems to be more tolerant while still keeping the quality high. It would be nice if we could be intolerant of all "sub-par" metal as Conservationist suggests, but that won't really bring a lot of people over to investigate the site. Plus, the tastes of both site admins tend to be more broad than the reviews here on the DLA.

March 10, 2010, 03:12:19 PM
You know, let them out of the echo chamber once or twice a week.

Yes, because with 99% of metal sites bleating the same dogma, it's clearly ANUS that's the fanboi club.

March 10, 2010, 04:42:20 PM
You know, let them out of the echo chamber once or twice a week.

Yes, because with 99% of metal sites bleating the same dogma, it's clearly ANUS that's the fanboi club.

I never suggested that I find any other metal site worth visiting. ANUS and it's affiliates are the only metal websites of any real value that I'm aware of. That doesn't change that we often spend much of our time repeating the same things to each other over and over again. A little variety (quality variety, not "let's go hang out on the metal-archives forums for a change of scenery" variety) is healthy.

March 11, 2010, 07:05:02 AM
At least now we are getting somewhere. Last time I checked, people thought we are just Prozak.

I've got a few contacts in French/Portuguese/Australian "scenes", though most of the music is probably crap.  Shall I tell them to get in touch with deathmetal.org?

Shouldn't you generally be telling all the people everywhere to get in touch with us?

At the very least, we need people who can report to us what is going on, post new releases and forthcoming gigs, who can get us contact information when we want to interview someone for our megalithic features.

March 11, 2010, 08:50:00 AM
For all I know, you guys are already bombarded with thousands of fan letters every day!  Why add to the weight with potentially mediocre Metal?

I generally tell people about the DLA, deathmetal.org, and hessian.org, and some of the other related sites which may be relevant to their interests.  As it is, most of the guys I know are Black Metal musicians, zine writers, label/distro runners, and a couple of artists who do logos and/or cover art.  Pretty much all of them are focused on Black Metal rather than Death Metal, but I suppose it's all "extreme Metal".  I'll see if anyone's got any real idea of what's going on in their street/village/town/city/province/country.

March 12, 2010, 07:23:48 AM
potentially mediocre Metal

This is a precarious thought, which can easily lead to single-minded conservatism.

When I hear something truely bad, mediocre and depressing, it might take days until I'm able to listen to any music again. But for a student and scientist of art and philosophy, it's worthwhile, directly or indirectly.