Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metalhead weakness

Metalhead weakness
March 17, 2010, 06:06:11 PM
I was re-reading old Varg interviews on Burzum.com, and while I don't agree with some of his terms, I think he's basically right -- metalheads kind of fail it.

On one hand, there are the directionless: drink, drugs, party, buy metal, contribute nothing. Might as well be enslaved and probably should be.

On the other hand, there are the self-centered ones: they know more, but they do nothing outside of work/school. Even as we see on this site, most of the intelligent ones need their hands held to write an article, post a link, or fix HTML.

There are some wonderful exceptions of course. If Hessian.org is serious, its first step needs to be separating from the chaff.

Re: Metalhead weakness
March 18, 2010, 04:59:22 AM
This comes back to a sort of fatalism on the part of metalheads and people in general. I think the reason why alot of people do not do anything is because they do not think anything will change even if they do. This is very un-warriorlike, and in fact contrary to the will of metal but is nonetheless a syndrome that needs to be dealt with. How do we reinstill a sense of warlike vigour against all odds in metal culture? Once again, a direction or a goal would be nice, but this seems impossible now as metal culture has been contaminated with hipsters and fatalists as well......

However on the flip side, I think alot of metal heads know something is wrong, and are travesing their world and their consciousness blindly. How many of us would love to have a spiritual mentor? Or someone readily available to teach us traditional combat in line with our cultural beliefs and practices. With that said not many metal heads do anything,or so it seems because perhaps they are in themselves stuck and are exploring the universe and their own psyche slowly, surely, and carefully, but generally unsure of what they are doing. Perhaps, the intelligent ones have taken up spiritual disciplines, and work alone, and quietly......

Perhaps i am to generous?

March 18, 2010, 10:45:55 AM
I see many metalheads who suffer from the 'Rock 'n' Roll  Syndrome'. They are more interested in being part of a group or culture which seems rebellious and against the flow of the mainstream society. This is no different from hippies who wanted to be hippies because they nothing else better to do in life or simply felt better about themselves being part of an "outcast" group.

The rebellious image is an important reason why they want to be metalheads. Too many metalheads become obedient collectors of merchandise. I have been thinking about the image aspect recently. I think many "metalheads" are uncomfortable and insecure about who they are and how they look, so they wear band t-shirts, get pierced, have "cool" looking hairstyles, wear spikes(and makeup; lol). But this does not mean, there are no metalheads who maintain the metal look simply because they love the genre so much and genuinely believe in it's message and want to proactively show their allegiance.

March 18, 2010, 11:43:26 AM
On the other hand, there are the self-centered ones: they know more, but they do nothing outside of work/school. Even as we see on this site, most of the intelligent ones need their hands held to write an article, post a link, or fix HTML.

This would be me. Perhaps for these people, 'doing something' may simply involve refraining from doing harm? That's a big contribution if your drink + partying stereotype is true (being self-centered I need to self-congratulate sometimes).

March 18, 2010, 02:16:12 PM
This comes back to a sort of fatalism on the part of metalheads and people in general. I think the reason why alot of people do not do anything is because they do not think anything will change even if they do. This is very un-warriorlike, and in fact contrary to the will of metal but is nonetheless a syndrome that needs to be dealt with. How do we reinstill a sense of warlike vigour against all odds in metal culture? Once again, a direction or a goal would be nice, but this seems impossible now as metal culture has been contaminated with hipsters and fatalists as well......

However on the flip side, I think alot of metal heads know something is wrong, and are travesing their world and their consciousness blindly. How many of us would love to have a spiritual mentor? Or someone readily available to teach us traditional combat in line with our cultural beliefs and practices. With that said not many metal heads do anything,or so it seems because perhaps they are in themselves stuck and are exploring the universe and their own psyche slowly, surely, and carefully, but generally unsure of what they are doing. Perhaps, the intelligent ones have taken up spiritual disciplines, and work alone, and quietly......

Perhaps i am to generous?

I agree, speacially with the teacher part. I was once extremely lazy, and I still am lazy, but I'm trying to improve. I guess you have to give people time, when you're young many things are not formed yet. I still drink, snort and smoke, stay on the internet for too long, etc. but comparing to the last year, I improved. This year I decided I could take no more of extremely sedentary and lazy lifestyle. I'm working out too. Another thing I always wanted to take up: Reading. And I'm applying suggestion techniques (like cou's method. This stuff really works, trust me). I have a lot of flaws and weakness that are to be improved on. But I believe I will succeed in my goals. So, I needed no master after all. Only books, and asking questions to more experienced people in the field I want to succeed, be it music, or physical exercise. I'm planning on learning music theory. What I'm trying to show is, if you're unsatisfied with your lifestyle, you can change. I'm trying. So a lot of people that are leading bad lifestyles, if you meet them in the future, can be in a better position.

As for metal, I have no interest in helping it for now. Maybe some day when I'm really more into it. But I don't think so

March 18, 2010, 06:44:14 PM
This comes back to a sort of fatalism on the part of metalheads and people in general.

Old debater's trick -- separating the following:

• Plans: does it achieve its goal, yes/no?
  • Disadvantages: bad stuff may happen as a result, but that's irrelevant if first condition is met
  • Justifications: many "ideas" are not designed toward the goal they claim, but are there to justify other behaviors

Fatalism is a justification. People want to feel oppressed and hopeless so they have an excuse to do nothing.

March 19, 2010, 04:32:32 AM
An interesting take on fatalism Conservationist, i had never really though of it that way. Your words are enlightening and resonate with my intuition. I have for a long time wondered why people are so fatalistic, secretly they do not want to do anything.

But why do they not want to do anything?

Because they are afraid perhaps? I do not think people want to feel opressed, i think they want to justify their own cowardice/fear. This is a stronger drive than the drive to do nothing IMHO.

March 19, 2010, 05:47:31 AM
Where did you get the idea people don't want to do anything? People definitely want to do things. Have you ever watched someone try to sit still for an hour or do nothing for an entire day, or have you tried it yourself? It's near impossible and Buddhist monks train half their lives to accomplish this. Westerners need their 9 to 5 jobs and constant activity. Without it they might start thinking about life, an activity which in excess would inevitably lead to suicide.

I agree that metalheads are fatalistic, but it's not because they are too lazy. There is a rationalism in there.

March 19, 2010, 02:17:54 PM
i think they want to justify their own cowardice/fear.

Have you ever watched someone try to sit still for an hour or do nothing for an entire day, or have you tried it yourself?

People are motivated by the negative. They want to avoid feeling bad, because how to feel good is harder to fathom.

They like to "stay busy" because then they have a claim to being occupied in doing something important, not being bored, and leading good lives. Otherwise, they really would watch TV all day, with some exceptions (people are unequal in all ways).

But I think that if we look at humanity through the lens of human justifications, we see that TheWaters is right: they want to justify their own cowardice/fear, which translates into inaction meaning that they'll occupy themselves with what they know, but not stretch beyond their comfort zone or do anything risky.

Entertaining oneself, shopping, going to school/work are not risky.

Writing something for publication, starting a company, working with ANUS = risky.

March 19, 2010, 03:18:15 PM
i think they want to justify their own cowardice/fear.

Have you ever watched someone try to sit still for an hour or do nothing for an entire day, or have you tried it yourself?

People are motivated by the negative. They want to avoid feeling bad, because how to feel good is harder to fathom.

They like to "stay busy" because then they have a claim to being occupied in doing something important, not being bored, and leading good lives. Otherwise, they really would watch TV all day, with some exceptions (people are unequal in all ways).

But I think that if we look at humanity through the lens of human justifications, we see that TheWaters is right: they want to justify their own cowardice/fear, which translates into inaction meaning that they'll occupy themselves with what they know, but not stretch beyond their comfort zone or do anything risky.

Entertaining oneself, shopping, going to school/work are not risky.

Writing something for publication, starting a company, working with ANUS = risky.

Seek out risky situations! Constantly challenge oneself! Seriously, what else is worth living for?

March 19, 2010, 03:59:18 PM
The fact is that Ulver is right when they say metal is enjoyed by kids who get bad grades and can't get with women.  Men in this world are demoralized and punished for being men and thus all masculine things become a part of the fantasy genre that metal has cozied itself up to.  They are hungry for power and don't have it, as some people here hate to admit, but they never learned how to achieve anything.  Their laziness is rewarded.  Good things only come from necessity and most of them live with their parents or get with the first trashy woman they can find who nag them into submission. 

April 04, 2010, 05:54:28 AM
If Hessian.org is serious, its first step needs to be separating from the chaff.

Consider this the first step:

http://www.hessian.org/heavy_metal/2010/04/04/issue-1-onwards-to-golgotha/

April 08, 2010, 11:33:26 PM
In the modern world it always feels like society is far too big and complex to achieve anything as an individual. So instead we just have another beer, forget about it and let the good times roll - afterall there is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself. However, we need to direct this energy into something less "rebellious" (which seems to be just another term for fatalistic these days) and into something more productive. A select group of individuals sets out to improve themselves in every way and end up outliving the rest of the homo sapiens, wouldn't that be something. Personally I plan to take up martial arts, survival courses and to continue studying literature, generally learning something new everyday. We must be like trees - ever seeking upwards. Your friends will most likely try and drag you down, wanting you to be fatalists like them who care for nothing other than call of duty and shitty 4chan style "humour". hurr hurr let's make fun of everything cos nothing matters. They will make fun of you for taking life too seriously, and call you a cynic. These people are actually afraid of life and so they cower under their apathy and "who gives a shit" attitude, always blaming someone else for their problems - government, society, jews etc. I know I've felt that way and I know I'll feel that way again. But those of us who are really capable of looking past this "life's a bitch" attitude will find something constructive to do, no matter how small, improving ourselves and hopefully our species. It's been said before on this forum and I think it can be said again - be the best you can possible be.

April 09, 2010, 12:10:44 AM
  "life's a bitch" attitude

definition of decadence:  life, itself, has become a burden

April 09, 2010, 09:47:34 AM
A real friend will want what is best for you in the long run, regardless of your feelings and your feelings towards them as a result. A real friend would push you in the deep end to teach you how to swim.