Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

tldr.anus.com

Re: tldr.anus.com
April 11, 2010, 08:19:31 PM
Stop alienating your biggest potential audience.

I agree, if for nothing else to keep up public politeness and a sense of social order.

Too often people come to this forum with the mentality of a nerd who got bullied, and so when they're safe here they basically want to complain about how stupid everyone is. WE FUCKING KNOW. It's time to get over it and rebuild and not do anything useless like wank ourselves.

If we really have found truth, set it free -- and do it in ways that the masses cannot corrupt!

April 11, 2010, 11:25:53 PM
do it in ways that the masses cannot corrupt!

It might be easier to kill the masses.

April 12, 2010, 04:42:13 AM
Some questions:

-Why is this neccessary?
-Is this not pandering to lowest common denominator?
-Am I the only one that thinks "excellent individual songs" is a poor description of Det Som Engang Var?

perhaps I missed the memo, but is Anus now actively targeting the Pitchfork Media demographic?  I always thought "pitchfork" had a pretty metal-sounding name for all of the vanilla panty-liner-prop they cover; why not just steal the domain name?

the developments in this thread have excited me.  I look forward to the hip-hop arm of DLA that will no doubt follow.  

April 12, 2010, 12:27:14 PM
How about this for an alternate review:

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - Possibly Burzum's magnum opus.  Longer works of roughly equal weight, using smaller parts to create epic works that range in texture from primitive to symphonic.

We need to give our audience some credit. 

Ultimately, I don't see the point in this campaign at all.  The point of this website should be to bring intelligent people into the fold by showing that metal is a true art form, not to get idiots involved by proving that metal can be really cool.  This isn't politics, where you get as many morons together as you can so that you can have safety in numbers.  This place should be an ark, where like minded people can join together and work toward a better future.  I don't want a ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? version of the French Revolution. 

April 12, 2010, 05:44:01 PM
The point of this website should be to bring intelligent people into the fold by showing that metal is a true art form, not to get idiots involved by proving that metal can be really cool.  This isn't politics, where you get as many morons together as you can so that you can have safety in numbers.  This place should be an ark, where like minded people can join together and work toward a better future.  I don't want a ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? version of the French Revolution. 

I really like that word for it, "ark."

Let's say that ANUS is divided into two camps:

• Arkists: they want an ark, a refuge from the insane mass culture where they can treat deserving metal like art, study it, learn about it and meet other people who feel the same way and by extension, have the same type of outlook on the world. There's some sense to this: after all, numerous friendships, several marriages and at least one business have come out of connections made here since '98 or so.
  • Evangelicals: possibly in addition to the above, these people want to go out and spread the good word as a means of changing metal itself. After all, when audience demands change, the bands change -- and that determines who the next generation of fans will be. Even further, these refuse to alienate people with faux elitism, instead issuing forth a challenge: you can understand this if you give it a little effort.

From my perspective, there's a 40% demographic in Europe and the USA that are middle-class-origin, education-bound-or-intelligent, often thoughtful people. They're the only reason these societies haven't collapsed. The hipsters seem like the majority until you go wander around the world a bit, when you see that the hipsters, trve kvlt burnouts and others are a tiny minority who've dropped out and invented excuses for their lack of success at anything but buying stuff. I think we should reach out to this 40% and stop the snarky, egotistical, pretentious, pompous activity that fits more with the half-educated half-experienced lazy typical internet whiner than what we want to be.

What do you (Samael) and you (assembled others) think of this?

April 12, 2010, 08:15:55 PM

I think you're right on the money.  There is place and role for both Arkists and Evangelicals here (and affiliated sites).  I think as long as there is strong leadership, we don't have to worry about getting a "ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? version of the French Revolution." (but I don't blame you for your concern Sammaellofi)  The vetting process seem to be pretty good - unintelligent people and flakes don't seem to last long around here and I don't think that will change by being more evangelical.  I think the reason you need to be evangelical is you just never know who will turn out to be a real asset or where they will come from.  Like it or not there are a lot of really intelligent teenagers and 20 somethings that just need there hand to be held for a little while, they need to be weaned slowly, they are BEGGING to be led.  If a liberal humanist is intelligent enough they can absolutely come around to nihilism, conservatism, or "anit-humanism" BUT NOT OVERNIGHT!  The goal should be to attract people of "raw intelligence" not people that already agree w/ you.....  I just realized you guys are mostly talking strictly about the METAL "branch" and I am talking more about ANUS in general, but I think the point still stands.  You CAN convert people.  And if you ask me 1 convert who is an asset to the metal community is worth 20 failed converts, because the 20 failures won't do anything anyway, and they won't bring ANUS down as long as leadership at the top is strong and intolerant.  Bottom line:  we need leaders to shape reality through INFILTRATION and "disguises."  The Unabomber may have been right, but he went about shaping reality in a less than optimum way.  Infiltrate! Infiltrate! Infiltrate!  that's my motto.  But then you aren't being "authentic," you say?  Get over yourself and start working for the cause.

April 12, 2010, 10:06:07 PM

This is all fine and dandy - I doubt many people would object to the notion of opening up metal to an audience that wouldn't otherwise have access to it.  Establishing new channels of communication is ostensibly valuable provided metrics are in place to accurately distinguish between signal and noise.  That being said, I can't help but think there are better mechanisms available to us than attempting to win new recruits through a bevy of judeo-christian buzzwords (i.e. arks and evangelicals) and twitter communiques.  As it is ultimately insulting to the intelligence of the "other" to treat him as something worthy of a peculiar dialect for communication's sake, not to mention insulting to any of us with half a brain who are loathe to conform our observations to character limit, why not pursue a better method? 

April 13, 2010, 02:47:26 AM
This is delightful. Make the articles shorter, and suddenly a website called ANUS will become the cool kid at school!

April 13, 2010, 03:38:10 PM
OK.  Well just name it something else.  In fact don't have ANUS in its title anywhere.  make it a completely separate entity with a sort of nondescript name.  ANUS can still be ANUS that way

April 13, 2010, 09:27:30 PM
The point of this website should be to bring intelligent people into the fold by showing that metal is a true art form, not to get idiots involved by proving that metal can be really cool.  This isn't politics, where you get as many morons together as you can so that you can have safety in numbers.  This place should be an ark, where like minded people can join together and work toward a better future.  I don't want a ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? version of the French Revolution.  

• Arkists: they want an ark, a refuge from the insane mass culture where they can treat deserving metal like art, study it, learn about it and meet other people who feel the same way and by extension, have the same type of outlook on the world. There's some sense to this: after all, numerous friendships, several marriages and at least one business have come out of connections made here since '98 or so.
  • Evangelicals: possibly in addition to the above, these people want to go out and spread the good word as a means of changing metal itself. After all, when audience demands change, the bands change -- and that determines who the next generation of fans will be. Even further, these refuse to alienate people with faux elitism, instead issuing forth a challenge: you can understand this if you give it a little effort.

From my perspective, there's a 40% demographic in Europe and the USA that are middle-class-origin, education-bound-or-intelligent, often thoughtful people. They're the only reason these societies haven't collapsed. The hipsters seem like the majority until you go wander around the world a bit, when you see that the hipsters, trve kvlt burnouts and others are a tiny minority who've dropped out and invented excuses for their lack of success at anything but buying stuff. I think we should reach out to this 40% and stop the snarky, egotistical, pretentious, pompous activity that fits more with the half-educated half-experienced lazy typical internet whiner than what we want to be.

I wasn't going to burn down your ship, Conversationalist.  I even offered my opinion on it's construction before I began my criticism.  The former you chose not to reply to.  

You over-simplify my words though.  I am not aiming at a smaller demographic than you, but I think talking down to people will only attract the wrong crowd, even if that crowd is a tiny minority of hipsters and not a big stupid mass that you think I am suggesting, but on the other hand I want to say that you talk like a politician.  You pander to lower minds with your talk of elitists, and demographics.  I thought the idea here was that elitism was not a bad thing.  You call me pretentious (possibly second in the list of loaded and lacking-in-substance insults on the internet), but where is my pretention?  Do my words lack content?  

As for breaking into two camps, I think that is ridiculous.  I offered some small help to your idea and brought a different opinion to the argument, and now you want to make this a partisan debate, when really, you and I agree on so many things that such a split would be more harmful than anything.

April 13, 2010, 09:29:49 PM

This is all fine and dandy - I doubt many people would object to the notion of opening up metal to an audience that wouldn't otherwise have access to it.  Establishing new channels of communication is ostensibly valuable provided metrics are in place to accurately distinguish between signal and noise.  That being said, I can't help but think there are better mechanisms available to us than attempting to win new recruits through a bevy of judeo-christian buzzwords (i.e. arks and evangelicals) and twitter communiques.  As it is ultimately insulting to the intelligence of the "other" to treat him as something worthy of a peculiar dialect for communication's sake, not to mention insulting to any of us with half a brain who are loathe to conform our observations to character limit, why not pursue a better method? 

This is closer to what I meant that what others are putting into my mouth.  I am not against branching, but let's not just branch to anyone.  That's why I offered my alternative description.  I tried to imagine what the kind of person we want here would find interesting in somethng he never gave a try.

April 15, 2010, 01:07:28 AM
you know, this actually highlights two seemingly paradoxical elements within metal itself.  on the one hand:  the desire to conquer the world.  on the other hand:  the desire to form some elite or secret "cabal."  the cabal aspect could also be seen as nationalism in a sense - let's do what's best for US and not worry about THEM.

April 15, 2010, 08:45:39 PM
I agree totally about the paradox, but the two aren't so different.  I just think building some big mass army of idiots isn't gonna do us any good.  We don't need an army of Olde Metallica fans "taking it to the street".  We all know this doesn't solve anything, and on top of that, we have nothnig to offer these people.  Burzum has nothing to offer lesser people.  It is only pleasing to the ears if you have an intellectual view on it and none of the many attempts to make Burzum trendy has paid off.  It is completely immune to it, by its own hand.

April 19, 2010, 06:18:08 PM
Great idea. There should be of course a link to the original dark legions reviews