Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Technology and Metalheads

Technology and Metalheads
April 18, 2006, 12:55:11 AM
With the rise in popularity of the Apple iPod and its competitors, metalheads/Hessians have the option of carrying their culture and creed with them everywhere. Maintaining and collecting a quality assortment of heavy metal becomes easier, as a computer becomes the primary ordering tool.  

A Question:

Is this phenomenon a step in the right direction, as it gives the Hessian more and faster access to the things that make him what he is? Or is it wrong to abandon the careful maintenance of his music collection and with it the totemistic attachment to its physical media?

Basically: Is this technology aiding the Hessian or hindering him?

Re: Technology and Metalheads
April 18, 2006, 01:01:01 AM
Aiding AND hindering.  Aiding in that it's easier to find out about any given band than ever before, thanks to mp3 trading; also, because it's easier to sort the wheat out from the chaff.  Hindering because it's made it fucking EASY to put out a CD-R release, thus fucking up the signal to noise ratio, and it's made it possible for any unorganized moron to voice his opinion.

April 18, 2006, 03:05:11 AM
i have to agree with cynical. i would also add that i've known people to put their entire music collection into iTunes and got rid of their cd's/lp's/cassettes only to have their computer crash and die completely, losing the entire collection in the process. part of me said, "ouch" while the other part said "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!".

having the disc or record or whatever is the best way to go, but mp3's have made exploring and finding great music a bit easier for those who really want to see what's out there. but then of course is the down side to it all, which cynical pointed out.

April 18, 2006, 09:20:51 AM
It's the negation of all hierarchy (except that of  access to the technology) and the ultimate gutting of all meaningful expression.  Things becoming "easier", just like "more convenient", are in no way values worthy of following.

The Hessian knows this, and has no interest in collecting hundreds of gigabytes of desperate musics that are "not bad" and "okay if you don't really demand that much", and thus has only invective for the totalising process of technological application as whole, and in the particular way in which their music is affected.

April 18, 2006, 12:03:29 PM
The Hessian knows this, and has no interest in collecting hundreds of gigabytes of desperate musics that are "not bad" and "okay if you don't really demand that much", and thus has only invective for the totalising process of technological application as whole, and in the particular way in which their music is affected.

Indeed. The value of access can be easily dismissed by the laxity of discipline that it engenders. Maintaining a physical collection of media is not only an integral part of being a Hessian, but it is also one of the principle joys. A Hessian, by owning 20 albums, can weave tales and explain principles  that it would take a magazine reviewer thousands of hours to extrapolate. That ability diminishes with the inclusion of a mobile hard drive.

April 18, 2006, 01:27:49 PM
From my personal experience, I have to see technology as a positive thing. The upside is that greater exposure (even if it's in an "underground" way) is allowed for metal through the internet. Without ANUS, I wouldn't have been exposed to all this glorious music that I love now. I heard Nightside Eclipse as well as a result of someone on another forum a long time ago recommending Emperor, and then finding ANUS opened up the gates for the best of metal. Thanks to downloading, I can hear alot of material I otherwise would not be able to.

The downside is that this ease of distribution, as was mentioned earlier, creates a tidal wave of mediocre material that wouldn't exist if such an easy way of distribution and production didn't exist. For the hessian, who as far as his ends are concerned, does not care what the average idiot is up to, I think the advantage of the exposure of metal to hessians in waiting is a big advantage.

In terms of the physical medium, I've always preferred to maintain a CD collection, although lately I've been transferring alot of MP3s to CD-Rs. I have my trusty CD player and my medium of choice will be CD. I think there is a specialness to the CDs I've actually purchased, however, both in sound quality and in the fact that I have the complete production as the artist intended it. So I agree in the superiority of maintaining a collection of physical objects.

And NEVER just have an electronic collection. Electronic devices are far too unreliable for that to be an intelligent way of keeping your collection. We hold high our music, and putting it at such a risk is disrespectful to our collections.

April 18, 2006, 02:08:47 PM
Isn't everybody whining about the downsides of technology basically just admitting that he lacks the selfcontrol to use it properly?

April 18, 2006, 03:06:47 PM
Isn't everybody whining about the downsides of technology basically just admitting that he lacks the selfcontrol to use it properly?

An interesting question. We could say that technology tempts to compromise our integrity. The stronger amongst us will be able to counter this with rational thinking; self-control.

I'd say that technology is a bigger worry to us when we consider it in the hands of others. I think Cynical pointed out the fundamental point. The dawn of Mp3 sharing has boosted the number of bedroom black metal bands.

I find this true of any technology. New technology is always an accolade of scientific thought. The worry is when we consider powerful technology in the hands of the undermen.  ;)

April 18, 2006, 07:38:47 PM
it's boosted the number of bedroom bands, period, no mater what genre but yes, the rise of even the black/extreme metal ones alarming, but the tehcnology of filesharing it could be seen as either a blessing, curse, or both..
Persoanlly, I view it as a blessing, it'd great to remember forgotten music, discover new types of music, (of all kinds) and a try before you buy type of deal so one doesn't have to worry about getting burned from buying a bum product. Hmm, perhaps (CD) burning came about from the public being burned one too many times.. Ironic, yes-no?

Though every point here previous has been well-spoken already.

April 18, 2006, 07:45:50 PM
it's boosted the number of bedroom bands, period, no mater what genre but yes, the rise of even the black/extreme metal ones alarming.

I doubt that; there's always been bedroom bands, the difference is that now their releases are accessible to the public by a couple of clicks. But that where the power of the consumer comes in: you are very much free to not make these clicks, and given that, I don't see how it could be negative.

April 18, 2006, 09:20:46 PM
There are lots of good metal bands which are pretty much unavailable on CD format (unless you feel like spending 200 on a copy from EBay), thanks to the stupid underground custom of limiting releases to 100 copies in order to be more kvlt which I've only been able to hear through MP3's.

April 21, 2006, 04:27:04 AM

Indeed. The value of access can be easily dismissed by the laxity of discipline that it engenders. Maintaining a physical collection of media is not only an integral part of being a Hessian, but it is also one of the principle joys.

Not my point at all. My point was that one need own nothing. I think virtual ownership is a mere extension of the physical one that you affirm. Both of them are incidental to the point of irrelevance.

Glade

April 21, 2006, 04:56:17 PM
I think the internet is a great tool to search for music. It helps you find and test out a metal albulm before deciding whether or not you like it enough to support the artist (buying the albulm).

April 22, 2006, 08:09:49 AM
i would also add that i've known people to put their entire music collection into iTunes and got rid of their cd's/lp's/cassettes only to have their computer crash and die completely, losing the entire collection in the process. part of me said, "ouch" while the other part said "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!".

These guys should have made some CD-R copies... Anyhow I see the proliferation of technology as being tottally positive.  There is alot of good Heavy Metal (and Doom, Death, Black) out there that one would never get exposed to if the technology wasn't there.  

Also there are forums such as this as well where one can discuss the Cultural aspects of Heavy Metal

(I can remember before CDs even existed and all I had was Casette Tapes!  Heck I remember BBSes and being excited about getting a 1200 baud modem. man that was alot faster then 300 baud! LOL!)  

April 24, 2006, 06:29:26 AM
It's the negation of all hierarchy (except that of  access to the technology) and the ultimate gutting of all meaningful expression.  Things becoming "easier", just like "more convenient", are in no way values worthy of following.

Eh, there's the kernel.

Fieldmouse is right (though it makes me look stupid to admit it.).

I declare further discussion to be masturbation.