Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Post-2000 albums

Re: Post-2000 albums
November 22, 2004, 08:46:14 AM
I wouldn't say Wyrd's best stuff lies within Vargtimmen part I or II. Huldrafolk, however...

November 24, 2004, 10:01:15 PM
YES. The only post 2000 albums that come to mind are Absu's Tara & Resuscitator's Cursed Visions From His Infernal Realm.

I really enjoy Tara's riffs but IMO, Barathrum is their best.

January 01, 2006, 10:57:38 AM
I find a lot of the new 'suicidal' wave of black metal to be interesting, even though it becomes more of an image rather then an emotion for most bands. ie;

Silencer - Death - Pierce Me
Xasthur - The Funeral of Being
Shining - Within Deep Dark Chambers
Weakling - Dead As Dream
Tearstained - Monumental in it's Sorrow
Forgotten Tomb - Songs to Leave
Leviathan - The Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide

Some others which are also pretty interesting...
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Thorns - Thorns

January 01, 2006, 05:18:29 PM

Which ones did you have in mind?

Averse Sefira - Battle's Clarion
Ildjarn-Nidhogg - 2003

And...?

Low standards = low future for the genre.

Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata
Ildjarn - Son of the northstar

2 more that come to mind

January 02, 2006, 07:35:35 PM
Hexen - Blast Radius (2004)

the best thrash release of post 2000 era metal

TC

January 03, 2006, 02:56:36 PM
i'm sure i'll be laughed out of the park if i list some albums i think are quality, but i just want to say fuck fucking Craft.  'Fuck The Universe' is a great album and on my must-have list for 2005, alongside Gehenna's 'WW' and the new Deathspell Omega.

for thrash, have you heard the new Deathchain?  i'll check out the Hexen.

January 04, 2006, 04:13:00 AM
I prefer
Abhorrence : Evoking the Abomination
Kaamos
WTN
Necrony

January 06, 2006, 08:12:35 PM
Pest - Daudafaerd
Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell
Gorgoroth - Twilight of the Idols: In Conspiracy With Satan

January 10, 2006, 04:31:20 PM
Excluding artists who already excelled prior to the turn of the millennium (that Graveland, Averse Sefira, Summoning, The Chasm and to a lesser extent, Krieg, continue to excel says little about the general state of music moving forward), I'm left with very little I would call genuinely interesting.  Crimson Massacre seems to have hit upon something truly brilliant with The Luster of Pandemonium, and Nokturnal Mortum's last two full-lengths have finally fulfilled the band's promise.  But beyond that, Drudkh and maybe Temnozor seem to be doing something that has creative legs, but that's about it.

October 24, 2007, 07:33:16 PM
Has anyone else checked out 'de contemplanda morte' by Mortuus? I have a upload of it sitting in audiofile. One of the more interesting recent black metal releases.

October 27, 2007, 07:40:38 PM

I am interested to know this board's general thoughts on Drudkh. They have always come across as lacking coherence, with riffs and themes that don't really seem to make sense in the context of a song. But perhaps I'm missing something.

I enjoy their first two albums. The songs definitely meander a bit, but they do concoct great atmospheres.

October 05, 2009, 05:19:33 AM
Are we keeping this strictly in the death and black metal fields? I won't include other releases then.

I agree with Conservationist's list, each album on there is solid, B+ at the least.

Here are a few more which appealed to me.

> Skepticism - Alloy
> Legion Of Doom - The Horned Made Flesh (thanks to this site)
> Father Befouled - Obscurus Nex Cultus
> Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels
> Peste Noire - La Sanie.... (I realize a lot of people here do not like this band)
> Blaspherian - Allegiance To The Will Of Damnation (again thanks to this site)
> Portal - Seepia
> Archgoat - Whore Of Bethlehem
> The Amenta - Ocassus

Not saying all of these are classic, but I've had each of them for a while now, over a year, and I still find myself listening to them each at least once/twice every two weeks. Further time will tell whether or not I start to dislike them.

Also, if anyone would like download links to these, I could put them up upon request.

October 05, 2009, 08:02:48 AM
Aeternus/Ascension of Terror and recently Graveland/Spears of Heaven

October 05, 2009, 03:30:19 PM
Immolation definitely belongs on the list, for both Unholy Cult and Shadows in the Light.

October 13, 2009, 06:13:22 PM
There's actually been some good stuff coming out in the last couple of months:

jesu - "Infinity"

Probably their best release since the self-titled and "Heart Ache."

Portal - "Swarth"

This band just keeps getting better with each release. Picks up where the 2007 winner "Outre" left off.

The Chasm - "Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm"

Looked like this band was going down the shitter after their last album in 2004, but five years off seem to have rejuvenated The Chasm ala Summoning with "Oath Bound."

Add these three to Beherit's "Engram" and I think that's more albums in 2009 than from any year this decade that can match up to the old standards.