Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Post-2000 albums

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Post-2000 albums
October 24, 2007, 08:18:08 PM

October 27, 2007, 07:40:38 PM

I am interested to know this board's general thoughts on Drudkh. They have always come across as lacking coherence, with riffs and themes that don't really seem to make sense in the context of a song. But perhaps I'm missing something.

I enjoy their first two albums. The songs definitely meander a bit, but they do concoct great atmospheres.

October 28, 2007, 06:53:05 AM
Too much of this shit strikes me as hipster central. Peste Noire no, but Svest? The trendy names, the very postured artist statements... what was wonderful about Darkthrone and Slayer and many others was that their statements were self-evident. They didn't need some posturing like hiding a deformed limb.

October 04, 2009, 05:36:11 PM
Too much of this shit strikes me as hipster central. Peste Noire no, but Svest? The trendy names, the very postured artist statements... what was wonderful about Darkthrone and Slayer and many others was that their statements were self-evident. They didn't need some posturing like hiding a deformed limb.

Sorry since this is like 2 years old, but what do you want newer bands to do? Model themselves after the old bands exactly? That's how you get retro garbage. Names really aren't too important (unless your band has a name like Satan's Almighty Penis).

Judge the music, not the image.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 04, 2009, 11:44:06 PM
Image is an integral part of metal. Seeing music and image as two separate things that can stand on their own is what started the decline of metal in the first place. Can you imagine the music of Burzum, Darkthrone or Morbid Angel being as powerful without the image those bands employed? Bands without an image generally have nothing to say and are hiding extremely dull and weak personalities.

Bands that have nothing new to say are just whoring for attention and acceptance, like kids in a museum trying to plaster their drawings next to the greats in the hope no one will notice the difference. I think that's what born for banning meant.

October 05, 2009, 01:43:00 AM
Image is an integral part of metal. Seeing music and image as two separate things that can stand on their own is what started the decline of metal in the first place. Can you imagine the music of Burzum, Darkthrone or Morbid Angel being as powerful without the image those bands employed? Bands without an image generally have nothing to say and are hiding extremely dull and weak personalities.

Bands that have nothing new to say are just whoring for attention and acceptance, like kids in a museum trying to plaster their drawings next to the greats in the hope no one will notice the difference. I think that's what born for banning meant.

I understand that image has an importance, but all too often people around here get hung up on JUST the image of a band. I mean there is no set image for a band to have to make profound music. Look at Graveland, where Rob Darken looks silly most of the time. Excellent band. Now take a band like Xasthur. Neat looking image, what with the paint and nooses, but one of the shittiest bands around today.

All I'm saying is that image matters least to me when judging a band.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 05, 2009, 03:08:50 AM
Image doesn't make a band, but I think the bands being criticized WERE the retro-garbage in question.

The point is that each release is a whole thing.

Music, ideas, imagery and lyrics... all part of the art object.

You can get by on music alone, if you have a blank cover. If you choose to do a cover design, and it's stupid, that says something (often).

Here's my post-2000 list:

* Summoning - Oath Bound
* Beherit - Engram
* Profanatica - Profanatitas de Domonatia
* Asphyx - Death... the Brutal Way
* Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax

I know I'm missing some. Still a sparse list.

October 05, 2009, 05:19:33 AM
Are we keeping this strictly in the death and black metal fields? I won't include other releases then.

I agree with Conservationist's list, each album on there is solid, B+ at the least.

Here are a few more which appealed to me.

> Skepticism - Alloy
> Legion Of Doom - The Horned Made Flesh (thanks to this site)
> Father Befouled - Obscurus Nex Cultus
> Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels
> Peste Noire - La Sanie.... (I realize a lot of people here do not like this band)
> Blaspherian - Allegiance To The Will Of Damnation (again thanks to this site)
> Portal - Seepia
> Archgoat - Whore Of Bethlehem
> The Amenta - Ocassus

Not saying all of these are classic, but I've had each of them for a while now, over a year, and I still find myself listening to them each at least once/twice every two weeks. Further time will tell whether or not I start to dislike them.

Also, if anyone would like download links to these, I could put them up upon request.
No.

October 05, 2009, 08:02:48 AM
Aeternus/Ascension of Terror and recently Graveland/Spears of Heaven

October 05, 2009, 08:42:47 AM
You can get by on music alone, if you have a blank cover. If you choose to do a cover design, and it's stupid, that says something (often).

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to be a smartass but if you have a blank cover then that's still going to be part of your image. Examples: Beatles - The White Album or Metallica - The Black Album. If I came across a metal album with a blank cover I'd suspect pretentiousness from the band. If a band says "we've got no image, we're all just ourselves" then their image is that they've got no image and are all just themselves.

Image comes natural, it can't be forced - that's why poser bands fail so hard.

I'd rather see a stupid album cover than no album cover at all. At least the band with the stupid cover had nothing to hide.

October 05, 2009, 09:08:16 AM
I would love to get rid of album covers and song titles. It would get rid of posers, the bullshit and allow us to focus on the music. Symphony No. 1, Opus 29, Song 112 - what could be simpler than that? Let the music stand on its own: I say the less imagery given through non-musical media, the better position we are to judge the music and eliminate music with no ideas.

October 05, 2009, 09:51:49 AM
If ASBO were here, he would undoubtedly remind us that this is another "name-random-post-2000-album-from-pre-2000-band" thread again. The mentioned albums aren't bad, but why them? Why not 100 others that sound exactly like them and correspond to them in construction, image and intended message 1-to-1?

Old school is easy. We're all interested in Slayer, Mercyful Fate and Autopsy, regardless of what constitutes our personal top 10. The symptom of the post-2000 disease is the lack of a common thread of interest in what has been superficially lumped under "metal discussion". Mention any band and half the people won't give a shit, part of them will even loudly explain why it's important to not give a shit about these bands.

October 05, 2009, 10:13:20 AM
Look at Graveland, where Rob Darken looks silly most of the time. Excellent band. Now take a band like Xasthur. Neat looking image, what with the paint and nooses, but one of the shittiest bands around today.

Gonna have to disagree with that :)

This is a faggot. Notice he's hanging forward a like a wimp or a loser, trying to crawl back into that fetal position he enjoys so much every night? What the hell is that background, was this photo shot at his grandmother's house? Oh the noose is terribly intimidating, really. It just seems to be hanging a little too low to actually be effective but hey it had to be in the shot to get that depressive vibe going I guess. And what is he holding in his hands? Is that his magic wand or a medieval sex toy? I can't see the corpsepaint very well because his head is hanging down, he probably strained his neck while giving a fanatic blowjob to some lucky dude.

This is a warrior. With one foot stepping on you in defiance. The sword held ready and eyes that show no mercy announce your fate. The blurry trees in the background symbolize the disappearing world in contrast with the clear reality which you must face. You can laugh at his exotic armory but by the looks of it he will consider it nothing more than the nervous ramblings of someone about to die.

NHA

October 05, 2009, 11:25:54 AM

Good photo, shitty band.

Too bad 95% of people wearing corpse paint look like idiots.