Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Post-2000 albums

Iconoclast

Re: Post-2000 albums
January 01, 2006, 01:27:15 PM
Yes...

People are amazingly predictable.

Though please notice I said black metal and not Dead.

January 01, 2006, 05:18:29 PM

Which ones did you have in mind?

Averse Sefira - Battle's Clarion
Ildjarn-Nidhogg - 2003

And...?

Low standards = low future for the genre.

Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata
Ildjarn - Son of the northstar

2 more that come to mind

January 01, 2006, 06:59:24 PM
Yes...

Because I'm an asshole, I might just mention that the CD cover there is not an official release, thus is not endorsed by the artists, and that one might think it's cool simply because it's a dead dude. My experience suggests that black metal is intolerant of fatalism, at least, the pre-1997/1999 variant is ;)

January 02, 2006, 12:49:15 AM

People are amazingly predictable.

Though please notice I said black metal and not Dead.

Well considering Dead was one of the biggest conceptualisers of Black Metal, right next Quorthon and maybe Euronymous, it's pretty safe to say suicide is a part of 'the black metal spirit'.

Because I'm an asshole, I might just mention that the CD cover there is not an official release, thus is not endorsed by the artists, and that one might think it's cool simply because it's a dead dude. My experience suggests that black metal is intolerant of fatalism, at least, the pre-1997/1999 variant is ;)

Not really, most black metal glorified death, even if was in defeat. Read the lyrics to War or Freezing Moon. I even remember Hellhammer saying ~1994 how Dead used the lyrics as a way of getting people to kill themselves.

Iconoclast

January 02, 2006, 01:11:54 AM
Well considering Dead was one of the biggest conceptualisers of Black Metal, right next Quorthon and maybe Euronymous, it's pretty safe to say suicide is a part of 'the black metal spirit'.

I'm not going to argue whether or not that is true as I'm not qualified, but the genre's spirit doesn't have to match up with important personalities within it, even if part of the founding group.

Even if you like emo black metal, you should at least admit suicide is foreign to the BM 'ideology'.  Never balance your cognitions by denying reality.

January 02, 2006, 07:35:35 PM
Hexen - Blast Radius (2004)

the best thrash release of post 2000 era metal

TC

January 03, 2006, 02:56:36 PM
i'm sure i'll be laughed out of the park if i list some albums i think are quality, but i just want to say fuck fucking Craft.  'Fuck The Universe' is a great album and on my must-have list for 2005, alongside Gehenna's 'WW' and the new Deathspell Omega.

for thrash, have you heard the new Deathchain?  i'll check out the Hexen.

January 04, 2006, 04:13:00 AM
I prefer
Abhorrence : Evoking the Abomination
Kaamos
WTN
Necrony

January 06, 2006, 06:44:31 AM
I've just realised how brillant Velvet Cacoon are...

Genevieve is essential listening.

January 06, 2006, 02:25:56 PM
go go gadget dieselharp!

January 06, 2006, 02:55:47 PM
go go gadget dieselharp!

Indeed, Velvet Cacoon were one of the funniest pranks I've ever witnessed. Sure, they're a bunch of pretentious Northwesterners, and I wouldn't put it past them to import the cigarettes that they oh so nihilistically murder themselves with from France, just to have a package of cigarettes with the "sophisticated" sounding words of the French language on them, but what they did to the poseur hordes of black metallers, the way they divided and conquered, turning them against themselves, they had to be brilliant on some level.

Of course, the music fucking sucks. I used to hang around a coffee house, in the middle of the few patches of woods you can still find on the outskirts of the Chicago area. Velvet Cacoon expresses nothing but a vapid embrace of the type of coffeehouse, aesthetically minded people who use their ample mental abilities for no other purpose than to blow the smoke from their life-destroying cigarettes around their faces to give the impression of brilliance, in order to get easily-swayed floozies who dig intelligent-seeming people into the sack.

It seems they found such an individual, and recruited her for the purposes of teasing and mocking the "underground". Hilarious. The music still sucks though. It's all potential, with none of it reached. It gives me the image of a French woman being eaten out by elves, and giving them a little pat on the head every once in a while. It seems the people behind Velvet Cacoon do not view themselves highly, and actively sought out someone lower than them to ridicule in order to feel better about themselves. The fact that they chose the "black metal underground" speaks volumes about the "black metal underground."

January 06, 2006, 05:41:27 PM
It is, as Cynical rightly said in his review, "pleasantly hypnotising", and little more.

January 06, 2006, 08:12:35 PM
Pest - Daudafaerd
Tsjuder - Desert Northern Hell
Gorgoroth - Twilight of the Idols: In Conspiracy With Satan

January 10, 2006, 04:31:20 PM
Excluding artists who already excelled prior to the turn of the millennium (that Graveland, Averse Sefira, Summoning, The Chasm and to a lesser extent, Krieg, continue to excel says little about the general state of music moving forward), I'm left with very little I would call genuinely interesting.  Crimson Massacre seems to have hit upon something truly brilliant with The Luster of Pandemonium, and Nokturnal Mortum's last two full-lengths have finally fulfilled the band's promise.  But beyond that, Drudkh and maybe Temnozor seem to be doing something that has creative legs, but that's about it.

October 24, 2007, 07:33:16 PM
Has anyone else checked out 'de contemplanda morte' by Mortuus? I have a upload of it sitting in audiofile. One of the more interesting recent black metal releases.