Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Black Metal is Dead

Black Metal is Dead
March 21, 2010, 04:29:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBgZVazi2Uc

I reckon this one song pretty much makes use of every trope ("trend") that has been "popular" in Black Metal for the past ten+ years, and these guys manage to pull it off better than most "serious" bands do.

Re: Black Metal is Dead
March 21, 2010, 05:25:16 PM
Black metal's always been mocked - recall the media reaction to Immortal's first video. It's easy to mock things set up as ritualistic or ceremonial, they set themselves up for it. If this is a sign of black metal's death, it's been dead since before it began(which wouldn't be too far from the truth, either).

March 21, 2010, 09:06:43 PM
It's hardly the fact that Black Metal is being mocked, it's that every single "technique" that was overused in the genre has been neatly packaged into one song which essentially says "Yeah, this is modern Black Metal, hope you enjoy it".

Also, "Keyboards are not true Black Metal".

March 23, 2010, 04:29:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5kukhUHAM8&feature=related

I actually came across that link on accident.  The mockery of blackmetal is a popular trend and has been for a while; even people who don't listen to bm often do the grim pose when in front of the camera for laughs or fun.  Black metal is easy to make fun off, I would not give these bands praise like you do, you must watch a lot of south park.

March 23, 2010, 04:43:14 PM
Why should we not praise the people who show us our failures (and in an amusing way, to boot)?

March 23, 2010, 09:28:54 PM
Why should we not praise the people who show us our failures (and in an amusing way, to boot)?

Yeah, have fun watching Dethklok.

NHA

March 23, 2010, 10:51:51 PM
One of the more amusing trolls:

Whatever happened to that metal fail/win thread anyway?

Someone just needs to make a "metal illustrated" poster for morons - left column has a series of win photos against a right column of fails.

Post good photos if you have any; the fail ones should be easy to find on the net haha,

March 24, 2010, 06:45:41 AM
It's hardly the fact that Black Metal is being mocked, it's that every single "technique" that was overused in the genre has been neatly packaged into one song which essentially says "Yeah, this is modern Black Metal, hope you enjoy it".

But simplicity has always been the genre's calling card.  What's changed?

March 24, 2010, 04:44:12 PM
Yeah, have fun watching Dethklok.

No, Dethklok is hipster material aimed at the most obvious of metalhead stereotypes.

Spinal Tap is probably a better representation.

March 24, 2010, 06:40:29 PM

But simplicity has always been the genre's calling card.  What's changed?

I'm not entirely sure if you're being serious or not...

March 24, 2010, 07:35:58 PM
Let's assume I am. What's changed in black metal? The music? Or the audience?

March 24, 2010, 08:03:57 PM
That depends upon one's perspective.  Personally, I wouldn't say that much of "modern Black Metal" is Black Metal in the slightest, and I know that many people argue that Black Metal must be Satanic, or they argue that it can't have keyboards, or that it uses this, that, or the other technique, or that the Norwegians usurped the name of the genre while playing something very different, etc.  If Black Metal is a style which was played ten years ago, or twenty years ago, and is now merely mimicked, then it's pretty dead.

On the other hand, many people would say that a musical genre can evolve, just as a band's music evolves.  If such is the case, then, given that most bands whose sound "evolves" end up being pretty crap (Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, Enslaved, Emperor), it stands to reason that the evolution of a musical genre must be pretty crap as well (though this may not be the case, I'm extrapolating a bit here).  I'm not sure if "being generally crap" constitutes being dead.

The audience, certainly, has changed.  Where once the music was appreciated by a select number of souls whose knowledge of its existence was almost entirely the result of their search for such music, nowadays, any moron who hears Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir on MTV can jump into the wonderful world of "Black Metal".  In a small number of cases, people progress beyond this exterior; in fewer cases, people reach the true gems of the genre.

To respond to your earlier statement, it is not "simplicity", but, rather, "the appearance of simplicity" which is prevalent (in some cases) in Black Metal.

March 25, 2010, 08:23:39 PM
When Cargést said "Black Metal is Dead", Black Metal merely laughed but when Black Metal said "Cargést is Dead", Cargést actually died. ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

March 25, 2010, 10:32:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7AI11o58N8

Actually, that's about what most "lo-fi" bedroom black metal sounds like to me.