Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Folk Music

Folk Music
April 18, 2006, 05:19:37 AM
Reading section IV. Rebirth of "The Philosophy of Heavy Metal" for the third time or so got me thinking even more about my approach to writing music, and the mentioning of Enslaved's "Vikingligr Veldi" even more so. The mentioning of their use of folk music intruiged me, because I've tried getting into it before, but found no way to get into it. So down to the point -

Does anyone who listens to or plays folk music know of any that's really worth listening to, or books/websites that teach how to play?

I had no idea really where else to post this, and since it does involve metal (even if it's a tiny bit) - why not?

Re: Folk Music
April 18, 2006, 05:52:17 PM

April 20, 2006, 09:03:49 PM
There are a lot of horrible folk bands.  I don't think that word means anything when it is used in conjunction with metal.  Enslaved has moments I would refer to as "traditional".  If you are looking for traditional European/Scandanavian music - try something on Northside Recordings.  I would recommend ANNEBJORG LEIN "Baba Yaga" or anything by VASEN.  Otherwise - for more "Celtic" sounding stuff... Kim Robertson, Alan Stivell, Maggie Sanstone, Carol Thompson, Patrick Ball, Derek Bell, or Al Petteway.
The moat displays whitened bloated corpses
a cesspool where the slain float
for miles back their casualties are strewn
ours burn on pyres smoke replacing sky

April 20, 2006, 09:09:26 PM
Also - there are any number of resources for playing this kind of music.  Where do you live and what instrument do you play?  

Another thing you might want to keep in mind... you might want to actually start playing something else (like a traditional instrument).  If you play guitar, get a lute.  Traditional instruments aren't any more expensive than modern ones.  You just have to know where to go.  There are any number of music makers that sell "kits".  Everything is built you just assemble it and you save, on average, about 50-60%  If you need help, PM me.
The moat displays whitened bloated corpses
a cesspool where the slain float
for miles back their casualties are strewn
ours burn on pyres smoke replacing sky

April 21, 2006, 04:23:54 AM
I've had trouble locating decent folk music. Not that it's thereby bad, but that it's hard to penetrate (harder than classical methinks) without much time wastage.

I'd provisionally recommend Tenhi, though they aren't traditional at all.
Conflagrations

Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.

April 22, 2006, 08:29:08 AM
Reading section IV. Rebirth of "The Philosophy of Heavy Metal" for the third time or so got me thinking even more about my approach to writing music, and the mentioning of Enslaved's "Vikingligr Veldi" even more so. The mentioning of their use of folk music intruiged me, because I've tried getting into it before, but found no way to get into it.

You might want to check out Falkenbach.

April 26, 2006, 12:25:07 AM
I advise checking out a few neo-folk bands:
Death In June
Sol Invictus
Der Blutharsch
Of the Wand and the Moon
Forseti
Fire + Ice

Neofolk shares alot of the same socio-political stances as black metal, yet the genre has not become bloated to the point of devolution.
These fragments I have shored against my ruins
Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo's mad againe.
Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.
               Shantih   shantih   shantih

April 26, 2006, 06:25:23 AM
I advise checking out a few neo-folk bands:
Death In June
Sol Invictus
Der Blutharsch
Of the Wand and the Moon
Forseti
Fire + Ice

Neofolk shares alot of the same socio-political stances as black metal, yet the genre has not become bloated to the point of devolution.

SECONDED.

Also, add to that list.

Current 93
Nature And Organisation
Darkwood
October Falls
Empyrium
Harmaa
Orplid

April 26, 2006, 01:09:22 PM
Why does everyone start dishing out names of horrible bands with mediocre music whenever the word 'folk' is mentioned? Folk music is anonymous, it is the music that has evolved as part of a tribe's culture and social stance. The bands everyone mentioned have more in common with classical music than with folk, and they are products, while real folk music is timeless and obscure.

Best place to start listening to folk music is live in your own country (which means you actually have to get away from your computer OMFG). Folk relies a lot on improvisation, therefore the very concept of recording it removes its lustre. There is no point in having a 'folk music collection' (OMFG AGAIN).

April 26, 2006, 02:16:25 PM
Yeah OK. Well logically Britney Spears would be folk music then.  ::)

April 26, 2006, 02:35:50 PM
Yeah OK. Well logically Britney Spears would be folk music then.  ::)

Disregarding music theory and practice, folk music is always popular because it must be in the hands of a people who uses it for expression and creativity.

Therefore, technically speaking- yes, Britney is today's folk music, if one is of the 'global village' persuasion. Britney Spears reflects the state of the culture from which she hails (a multi-cultural, severely dumbed-down melee) - even if this is a rough generalization- it makes sense when you think about it. It also says a lot of things about what subjects have a priority in the mind of an  average democratic citizen: nice cars, blowjobs, easy money, sex, sex, blowjobs and sex.

April 27, 2006, 05:13:03 AM
The bands everyone mentioned have more in common with classical music than with folk....
Folk relies a lot on improvisation.....

I think you and I have very different ideas about what folk music is. Although I agree with your cultural understanding of the form, I think the bands mentioned are totally within the basic form of folk and have nothing to do with classical much at all. Secondly I think folk is firmly attached to a basic form of which more often than not shirks improvisation. It relies upon repeating basic melodies in minimal forms and with verse chrorus vocals laid over; in this sense Sol Invictus is totally closer to folk than classical (though it is, I acknowledge, without much of the cultural ideal you uphold). Finally, the idea that any of our respective cultures are alive enough to be producing worthy folk music is kind of funny. You said yourself the BS is folk for today.
Conflagrations

Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.

April 27, 2006, 06:20:00 AM
Try Waldteufel or Krauka.

April 27, 2006, 07:43:36 PM

I think you and I have very different ideas about what folk music is. Although I agree with your cultural understanding of the form, I think the bands mentioned are totally within the basic form of folk and have nothing to do with classical much at all. Secondly I think folk is firmly attached to a basic form of which more often than not shirks improvisation. It relies upon repeating basic melodies in minimal forms and with verse chrorus vocals laid over; in this sense Sol Invictus is totally closer to folk than classical (though it is, I acknowledge, without much of the cultural ideal you uphold). Finally, the idea that any of our respective cultures are alive enough to be producing worthy folk music is kind of funny. You said yourself the BS is folk for today.

For the purposes of this thread, let's first of all draw a distiction between folk and neo-folk.

IMO Sol Invictus, Death In June etc are quite boring musically, though the ideas and metaphors in the lyrics might make for an interesting listen now and then. Neo-folk projects (more often than not) use an easily digestible keyboard sound and electronic amplification which is has nothing in common with folk. Classical music relies on development, and pop usually drives the point home with a series of repetitive phrases- 'neo-folk' bridges the gap by using a 'classical' sound and pop structure. Needless to say, it falls between the two stools.

I admitted my broad generalisation when expressing opinion about Britney Spears. The majority of people goes for catchy tunes and slutty attitude, and it is only as a result of this utilitarian approach that I call BS 'folk for today's generation'.

As far as 'real' folk is concerned, I can only speak for myself. My native form of folk music includes improvisation as an important theme, both instrumentally and lyrically (indeed, the best songs feature two singers singing alternate verses, each trying to outdo the other in terms of storytelling and invention). And my culture is still alive enough to be producing worthy folk music on a frequent basis.

April 29, 2006, 07:53:26 AM
Another good neo-folk band is Prussian Blue.