Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

From the Dept. of Things That Make No Sense: RABM

The only new part of the article to me was the buzz word "RABM." I guess it's more controversial that way.

You belief in something, therefore you make music that sings its praises and uses its opposite to illustrate why it is good.
I don't think this is grammatically correct either... trival point, but I'm sure someone would like it pointed out so they can fix it.

Oh, I didn't realize that the writers here were expected to keep your personal knowledge base in mind when updating the blog.  Silly me!  I thought they were writing for an audience of more than one, but I suppose it was foolish of me to believe that a universe could exist outside your skull.

How'd you come up with that?

I basically said that they've rehashed an article view much done in the past, and added a flash new genre title in it to keep it fresh.

I just thought it was lazy.

No need to mention my skull.

The writers of the DLA blog have been very quick on the draw lately.  This is actually a good thing, because stupid hipster-ish items like RABM that otherwise might take off are strangled early on.  Just notice how no one is really talking about how good new Burzum is anymore.  Because of this I am starting to feel that this place is influencing the direction of metal as we know it.

The writers of the DLA blog have been very quick on the draw lately.  This is actually a good thing, because stupid hipster-ish items like RABM that otherwise might take off are strangled early on.  Just notice how no one is really talking about how good new Burzum is anymore.  Because of this I am starting to feel that this place is influencing the direction of metal as we know it.

I was always under the impression that no one really read, or even cared that much about the DLA. I also was under the impression that the writers at the DLA, at least from what they told me, don't care about the direction of metal, and don't think anything of themselves for what they write. According to them, their reviews and articles are all based on promoting the artists they really liked.

ECHO CHAMBER ECHO CHAMBER ECHO CHAMBER

There's a WIDE world outside of the ANUS. People interested in RABM especially are not going to care about this site, and the genre likely won't take off anyway.

Any time dogma replaces art, you get bad music. Politics and religion can be that dogma.

Pure art in my view is philosophy expressed through experience and poetics, meaning a way of creating a non-linear mixed-emotions kind of irony that contrasts the different points of a journey.

My gut tells me that RABM will never become a legitimate subgenre as N5BM has. There's a much lower count of metal veterans in that genre to ever be recognized by the core community as a real entity; some people may not like N5BM, but they recognize that it's an actual, lasting phenomenon that isn't going to go away anytime soon. I'm not saying that these are my opinions on how I feel about them, it's just a simple observation.

I glanced at the RABM forums once and there was a discussion about Mystifier and most people didn't even know who they were. One commenter said something along the lines of "Oh if they're a good band I'm surprised I've never heard of them" with that pinko commie swagger of his. I can envision them continuing their genre somewhere in the cascade mountain range as they've been doing, educating people with an alternative history about Black Metal, strongly wedding it's lineage with an exaggerated connection to Crust Punk and eventually dying out because they just come off like losers.

Now I've listened to Panopticon and I like one song on his myspace, but that's about it. Wolves in the Throne room is another band that has a good song, but the rest of the album seems pointless (Two Hunters: Vastness and Sorrow - funny enough this is the song I found that Prozak used to describe them on his genre's page). That's about as far as I'm going to go into the whole thing because the entire idea just bugs me out a little bit (ie: "Things that make no sense").

Another observation: a lot of these RABM/Cascadian Black Metal bands are using the style of "Ambient" Black Metal as what I can see to be a crutch, probably because they don't know how to play their instruments and this is an easy way out of getting big, getting laid, becoming influential and communicating their ideas to people as authority figures  etc...

These new RABM/Cascadian bands make me miss the sound of bands like Dissection, Sacramentum, old Marduk, Necrophobic etc... probably the most.  The caliber of those bands always made me feel like Black Metal was a musical genre to be reckoned with.

I'm not too worried about these tidings. Hipsters will move on sooner or later because they are leeches and parasites by nature, and its noteworthy to mention that Crust Punks have a very short life expectancy.

I just discovered this "genre" after reading the article "RABM = NSBM = UBM = 100% garbage". I had no idea what it meant, so I decided to use google, and came across this gem: http://r-a-b-m.blogspot.com/

You can't be fucking serious. BM is right wing.

Leftist paganism? What?...

I think there are just a bunch of typical leftists with their 75 IQ, trying to somehow associate their beliefs with the image of black metal. Fools.

Also after fully reading this thread, I do not believe that BM necessarily supports a collectivist idea, since most BM rejects contemporary society as a whole.

Vikernes wrote a wonderful article at some point detailing exactly how "left-wing Paganism" was entirely impossible for those of Eurasian descent.

It's annoying that this was even brought up. What a pathetic sub-genre.

I used to think white metal was silly, but "red" metal is just ludicrous. Christian bands can at least write about the same general topics (opposite viewpoint notwithstanding) and use the same imagery and metaphors (heaven, hell, angels, demons, Satan, crucifixion). But what would a Communist band sing about? The labor theory of value and means of production? Communism and similar materialist ideologies are sterile, boring, over-literal, and without the imagination found in both religion and art at their best.

I was always under the impression that no one really read, or even cared that much about the DLA. I also was under the impression that the writers at the DLA, at least from what they told me, don't care about the direction of metal, and don't think anything of themselves for what they write. According to them, their reviews and articles are all based on promoting the artists they really liked.

DLA does influence the metal audience. There's a mystique behind the complexity of the reviews that makes the unexposed reader invest the proper amount of respect in those albums that are worth a damn. It's not really as manipulative that might initially sound, but there's a purpose behind it all. DLA truly hones in on the quality metal the world has to offer based on a musically oriented (metal-based) academic frame of reference that extends back before its origins. Regardless of how many naysayers there are in regards to DLA and ANUS in general, the Cheap and False Metal albums that apparently we've all "overlooked" never stand the test of time. A good point I brought up with another ANUS community member last night is that trends come and go all the time, the only difference since 2004 is that its infiltrated Black Metal. Before that year there was roughly no serious boycott-worthy music in Black Metal other than Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir.

Before Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Krallice and Liturgy, it was Metalcore with Killswitch Engaged and Avenged Sevenfold, and before them it was Melodic Death Metal with Dark Tranquility and In Flames. All of these groups of trendies come and go so easily and it's because we as Hessians are so unflinching in our fervor for True Metal, which does indeed stand the test of time.

How about an example? Does anyone ever forget about SLAYER!? If anything, Slayer's infamy has just grown throughout the years including in the advent of their lesser albums. Slayer had a handful quality albums that nobody will ever stop listening to. I have to agree with the IDOS website when they said "we couldn't even believe these guys were real." Slayer made such good music that I can even forgive them for their terrible records. Slayer could do coke and fuck each other and I wouldn't care... they're forgiven.

Ask yourself how many crimes have been committed in the name of Krallice other than New York sodomy laws?
How many crimes have been committed under the influence of American Slaytanic Madness?

Once again, the only difference is that these homosexuals found their way into Black Metal, and when you have a collection of pussyfarts that ban together, they're going to act as their support system. Frankly, real metal apposes such faggotry as they profess in all aspects of their "movement."

They'll be gone soon, we as Hessians push these guys so fast that I'm sure record companies are boggled as to why less and less metal-fans are showing up to "metal" shows. Then they're left with a fanbase of fools who have no foundational appreciation for our artform, and the band attempts to reorganize themselves under music to suit their new target audience. Xasthur is done, he's doing "Dreampop" now under a different moniker. Could it be because metal fans were tired of hearing the same formula regurgitated after 10 damn years? Pitchfork.com loves Xasthur none the less... and now he doing indie-ambient... who could have guessed?

Hessiandom is strong, and I think it's because we realize that progression doesn't involve compromise.

You can't be fucking serious. BM is right wing.

Leftist paganism? What?...

The Crowd surges in, to make what is not-mainstream into what is safe, meaning that it conforms to mainstream ideals of liberal democracy.

This only happens when people have lost sight of the classics. And most metal fans now have no idea what happened in the early 1990s (and 1980s).

So they're reinventing it in the same form as everything else, which is why Generation Y black metal sounds like indie punk.

I mean, seriously -- Krallice? Wolves in the Throne Room? Weakling? -- these are underground punk versions of the same stupid mainstream stuff that Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth did.

The Swedes haven't helped, with populist underground metal like later Entombed, later At the Gates, and Dissection (which outside of their first album is forgettable). Oh and did I forget 0peth?

The Swedes haven't helped, with populist underground metal like later Entombed, later At the Gates, and Dissection (which outside of their first album is forgettable). Oh and did I forget 0peth?

I'll tell you something I'm really upset about in relation to Sweden, it's called "" by Arckanum. What a complete and utter letdown. That's essentially a Krallice, WITTR or Liturgy album.

Arckanum used to be ferocious, deadly music.

I'm just confused as to how it all went to hell.