Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

[META] Activities of our users

Re: [META] Activities of our users
April 23, 2010, 02:37:11 AM
Probably my best song:

http://depositfiles.com/files/pnnpj3kol

This reminds me of a lot of my older music.  A mix of rhythmic ideas that form a rough progression but with little cohesion.  Try lengthening each part adding simple harmonies over it and just keep experimenting.

Thank's for listening. I made two new ones:

http://depositfiles.com/files/rnyzu54gp

http://depositfiles.com/files/bg6hcy6zz

April 23, 2010, 05:38:14 AM
I have some throat-singing-esq music I made a while back. I'm very pleased with it, although I haven't had much time to refine its production (I'm not good with computers) so right now there are only three pieces on which I think the bass is OK. I think they are fairly black metal in nature, you can use it for meditation, occult ritual, shamanistic trance, etc. Personally I believe they are quite worthy of commercial distribution, if admittedly to a very niche audience, so I encourage you to give em a listen because I think you might get a kick out of it. Track titles are preliminary (and I have Youtube links for two of them if you prefer streaming):

download Cosmos (streaming)
download Nothing
download Ancient (streaming

I also have a MySpace page which makes available some of my spiritual and occult views, writings, and poetry. Mainly the MySpace is a node for my website Transcix's Guide to Crossing the Abyss which you can find the link to in my MySpace (some of the texts are rather rough drafts, it is still new but some sections are up and I think some of the material can still be useful).

too much concept, too little execution.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

April 27, 2010, 10:50:05 AM
I think I just kicked ass with this song:

http://depositfiles.com/files/ty75i2lu8

April 28, 2010, 02:57:05 AM
I'm getting into cinema, working on my first screenplay at the moment. I'm a freshmen at CCAD, so first year is just basic art skills, but I'm majoring in Animation. I'm concentrating in 3D modeling and animation, but I'm going to do movie with real actors. I plan on making some pretty disturbing shit by the time I graduate to show for a thesis.  :)

I've messed around in FL Studio a bit, but that's as musical as I've gotten. Here is a song I made. Not sure what to say about it, except I probably have the musical aesthetics of something out of the Tim and Eric Awesome Show.
http://depositfiles.com/files/l9ulil5t5

And here is some art.
http://ccad.digication.com/zachrice/Art//

May 07, 2010, 02:58:26 AM
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,8858.0.html

Very much seeking feedback, taking the link down at the end of the month.

May 07, 2010, 11:24:28 AM
I think it's definitely solid, though far from original. It reminds me of Kampfar a bit. They've put out a bit of respectable material, so it's not a bad influence to have. Forgive me if I'm way off and you actually don't like that band or whatever.

May 07, 2010, 04:49:22 PM
I have no idea who they are, but believe me, Wiht is significantly better than almost anything which has preceded - I made sure of that.

Edit: listening to some Kampfar now, and I can vaguely see what you mean, in that Kampfar write some kind of "Folk Metal", but don't fall into the standard trap of writing Renaissance music in a Metal style with occasional traditional instruments, a la Ensiferum.  However, I feel I must say that this music (at least, the songs I'm listening to now) is far, far less complex than any one of the songs on Wiht, both technically and musically.

I'm not a fan of "Folk Metal", or "Viking Metal", or any of these genres.  The two bands which I like which might fall into these categories are Veles and Graveland (I'm surprised you didn't hear that influence more strongly than this Kampfar music).

I feel that Kampfar and I have quite different aims when it comes to writing music, having listened to more than a few tracks now.

Also, I might add that it's difficult to be "original" when one of the core ideas of the music is that, in order to appeal to those parts of the heart and mind which look back with reverence to the past, the general aesthetic should be antiquated to the point where it instantly brings about a feeling of "the past" in the listener.

May 10, 2010, 01:59:07 AM
Big bump, as it seems that a large number of people have downloaded the album without leaving any feedback whatsoever, which is entirely not conducive to the refinement of Art in general.  Share your thoughts, or be forever damned!

On a side note, every single commentor on this album, after being told of the supposed similarities with Kampfar, has balked at that suggestion.  Apparently (and I would agree), the only similarities are the Black Metal roots and the potential for both forms of music being called "Folk" Metal.

NHA

May 10, 2010, 05:20:39 AM
I diddnt listen very seriously (shitty speakers, low volume, pessimistic closed minded attitude).

Anyway, it comes across as one step above the usual shitty bedroom blackmetal acts but still fails.

- Boring riffs
- Rehashes the usual themes but doesnt provide any new or interesting perspective on them.
- Blandness of each section prevents the listener from caring where the next progression will lead.
- Lot of the parts have a nervous feel to them

You should take a break from composing and work on something else. Try to come back to it again with a different approach/perspective.

May 10, 2010, 09:45:00 PM
I agree with NHA for the most part, but I'd like to add that I found some of the song structures confusing.  Some of the shifts from one section to the next seemed incoherent, like you had taken 2 or 3 songs and put them together into one track.

However, take anything I say with a grain of salt as I'm personally not fond of "folkish" metal, and therefore have somewhat of a bias.

May 10, 2010, 09:54:00 PM
I agree with NHA for the most part, but I'd like to add that I found some of the song structures confusing.  Some of the shifts from one section to the next seemed incoherent, like you had taken 2 or 3 songs and put them together into one track.

Each track but the last is effectively made up of separate "songs", with melodic/rhythmic/thematic/lyrical links (generally all of them) between all of the songs of a track (and, indeed, between tracks).

I think I had made my displeasure at NHA's decision not to listen seriously known, though a mod seems to have removed the comment (or I forgot to post it).  Believe me when I say that this will require at least three listens through before many of the most interesting aspects of the music will shine through.

May 11, 2010, 01:50:30 AM
Big bump, as it seems that a large number of people have downloaded the album without leaving any feedback whatsoever, which is entirely not conducive to the refinement of Art in general.  Share your thoughts, or be forever damned!

My suggestion: it needs personality, as only that way will it have the insights you require for it to be large enough in emotional scope to achieve the effect you desire. Do you know your own personality? -- this is a rhetorical question; mods please ban ANY responses to it.

The mechanics aren't a problem. Clearly whoever did this demo could easily make anything they like. In fact, their enemy is that making music is so easy for them that sometimes they have no idea what to put into it. The inner struggle for clarity is absent.

May 11, 2010, 09:13:52 AM
The mechanics aren't a problem. Clearly whoever did this demo could easily make anything they like. In fact, their enemy is that making music is so easy for them that sometimes they have no idea what to put into it. The inner struggle for clarity is absent.

This is the best response I've had as of yet, from anyone, ANUSian or not.  Thank you very much.

May 13, 2010, 04:29:55 AM
Cargest:  I've listened to it twice now, and I like it a lot!  I AM a fan of "folkish" metal (although the genre, itself, does not have many instances of high quality successes).  Besides Graveland, Bathory, Enslaved, Isengard, and Veles, folk/pagan/viking metal is pretty sad.  So I actually think it's a good idea to try to operate within that "genre," for that very reason.

Let me preface by saying I have no academic background in music whatsoever.  Quite honestly, I can only talk about music in vague terms and more or less explain my "feelings."  Also, I am a "sympathetic" audience in that, initially, I usually have positive feelings, no matter what, regarding the book I'm reading or CD I'm listening to.  I find this is the best way to BEGIN your experience when acquainting yourself w/ a new piece of art.  I just get excited for something new!  I'm simple and naive that way.  But here we go:

1.  It's unpretentious and straightforward.  No goofing around - you get right into the metal.
2.  I would describe the sound as "noble" and "proud" (I can, indeed, here the Graveland influence).  I definitely like that it's not "Norsecore."
3.  As far as I can tell, the general idea being expressed in the music is: The glorious past is still alive! (I'm being as broad as possible).
4.  Too vocal-centric.  I like the SOUND of the vocals (reminds me of Isengard), but there are just too many lyrics for my taste.  I love it when black metal is sparse on the lyrics.  Let the music do the work.
5.  "Boring" riffs are not the problem, but perhaps you need some more "solemn" moments.  As it is, the first 2 tracks are pretty damn rollicking.  Listen to "Hostmorke" by Isengard to maybe get an idea of what I'm talking about.

OK, let's look at the big picture.  Folk metal seems like a good place to do some exploration, but here's the potential pitfall that perhaps you're already beginning to fall into:  amidst all the boisterous pride (which is not necessarily a bad thing) that your music offers, sentimentality and human emotion can begin to creep in.  I view this as a bad thing.  Metal wants to eschew the human drama.  It regularly gets talked about on this forum.  Most recently in this thread .  It's basically the #1 reason for why I like metal:  Metal transcends the human perspective and laughs at how puny we are!  Take Sort Vokter, for example, there is nothing "human" about Folkloric Necro Metal at all!  And yet there is still an "earthiness" about it.  And that is a landmark album, would you not agree?  Your goal should be to show us a perspective as far away from human as possible.  I think cutting down on the lyrics (and, therefore, the human voice) would be a practical and literal way to get the ball rolling.  

The worst thing somebody can say about your music is: "I can relate to that."  You need to give us something NEW, something INHUMAN, something we CANNOT relate to - the Sublime, the voice of God, mystery, terror, the imperceivable.  You need to be ABOVE the fray.  You need to express something by sound that cannot be expressed by language.

One of my favorite albums ever is Thousand Swords and you cited Graveland, so I'm going to muse: TS expresses an enthusiasm and pride, but also a solemnity and stoicism.  This results in a truly majestic sound.  Even though it's the soundtrack of war, there is so much DIGNITY.  The amount of lyrics is perfect.  The riffs are sometimes boring on a micro level, but it's irrelevant.  Above all, it manages to sound "solar" in a "lunar" genre.  The solar aspect of metal has still not sufficiently been explored.  This isn't just folk metal, it sounds like the beginning of something that metal has still not managed to build.

EDIT:  I listened to it a 3rd time last night and I still like it.  In fact it was better than the first 2 times.  I'm not sure it will stand the real long test of time, but there's enough potential here to get me fairly excited.  Plus I respect that you're a fellow forum member essentially creating a metal act right in front of us (so it would seem).  I would even say that perhaps there IS a sense of solemnity that I didn't pick up on before and that the lyrics aren't all that superfluous after all.  I guess sparse lyrics and solemn moments are just aesthetic choices I GENERALLY prefer - nevertheless, it's still something to think about I would say.

May 13, 2010, 07:41:11 PM
The lyrics were written long before the music, and were simply chosen to reflect the themes and stories I put into the music - unfortunately, that meant too little in some places, and too much in others.  For whatever else I write, I'm going to see if writing lyrics and music at the same time will yield a better or worse result.

Between yours and Conservationist's posts, I've got a clear path ahead of me, as to what to strive towards (not from a musical perspective, but from a [pre-]conceptual perspective).  You're entirely right about the "human drama" thing: much of the music is still very centred on "the human" (as a whole, rather than dealing with individual humans/human emotions/feelings) rather than on that which is "beyond human".  The trap I fell into was in pursuing that feeling of the revival of the past (good call on that one) through human perspective, rather than through the perspective of Reality/Nature/God.  As I've learnt from reading Hofstadter (who I will plug until the end of time), one can only understand the entirety of something by stepping outside of it (Zen).  On subsequent compositions, I will aim to present the eternal as eternal, rather than as being experienced by a transient being... Which, ultimately, is the failure of bands like Drudkh, who attempt to present through their music Nature as experienced by humans.

There is only one "solemn" part in track one, which is still hopeful in essence; track two has occasional solemnity, and I feel that track three ends on a solemn note.  Interestingly enough, the order in which you hear those three tracks is the order in which they were written and recorded (track four was recorded last September, when the first part of Glory was written), so perhaps I'm already beginning to move further away from the boisterous, and further towards the "majestic", as you so accurately put it.  As far as Graveland influence goes, I'm trying very hard to follow (and expand upon) his example while maintaining my own musical style (severe and ridiculous technical complexity masked as simple melody/chord progression, aiming towards a "texturing" effect).

Thank you very much for your criticism - it's given me a goal, focus, and the energy required to reach that goal.  I'll be back in a couple of months, perhaps, with something new.