Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

[META] Activities of our users

Re: [META] Activities of our users
October 19, 2010, 03:28:48 PM
Great clip, Cargést!  I cannot even say anything to criticize about. Thus far I cannot wait to hear more!

Well here is an updated Pagan Fire. I believe I have some great ideas going. The solo is not my best but I believe in the moment I caught exactly what I wanted here. You will notice I even left in some of the string noise which adds to the chaos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaJHB4xKtE

I can honestly say this makes me excited and want to slay!! I believe that is a job well done!  

October 19, 2010, 04:29:09 PM
Sterling stuff.  I thought this song was weaker than your earlier output, but, now that I've heard this newer version, I have to say it's either on par with or perhaps slightly better than anything of yours I've heard before, with the possible exception of this.

October 19, 2010, 06:12:15 PM
Forza Romana - I liked a lot of the ideas I heard in the updated Pagan Fire; two things, and maybe a third:

1) I like the dissolution into simple strung chords halfway through - especially juxtaposed against what came before it - but the riff underlying the solo needs to follow suit with what you turned it into at 2:17. At that point, the riff is like post-coital bliss, and then when you break into the riff at 2:55, you expect ME to get up and get YOU a glass of WATER? Do it yourself, woman. (Basically, I've had a lot of emotional battering up to that point, and it's a bit much to expect me to be able to get riled up again 38 seconds later. Use the cathartic space you just made available to yourself.)

2) Watch your mixing - the lead guitar is a trifle overstated in the mix, especially so come the solo.

3) Not to harp on what's considered to be an irrelevancy for most, but the drums DO set up riffs to come and riffs that have gone; there needs to be some variety, both within the rhythms supporting riff and the fills (which I notice are completely absent) used to foreshadow the coming melodic phrase, or else everything risks becoming too linear..

October 19, 2010, 09:09:41 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your critic and analysis. I hope to improve a lot of what I share. I had a three year break from guitar, which was three years too long.

I should take more time to do more for the drums, but if I had a kit it would be easier for me to do so. I find it challenging to do things digital as I prefer analog. Some one was going to pass along a Four Track recorder to me, so we will see what I can create with that.

October 19, 2010, 09:30:17 PM
I usually use a TASCAM 4-track (much warmer sound when recording, which suits my usual "Sun Metal" quite well), but, here at University, I have to use my laptop, for the time being, which explains the tinny sound of the guitars - I'm doing what I can to balance it using the EQs on my recording software, but it's still not ideal.

Just about to upload a new version of Breaching the Walls of Sylph to EweTube.  Expect multiple time signature changes for dramatic effect and inter-riff-referencing.  Solos are the same, rhythm section has been rerecorded and elongated (twofold, if not more).

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArqqeYwUrY

October 20, 2010, 02:06:24 AM
I usually use a TASCAM 4-track (much warmer sound when recording, which suits my usual "Sun Metal" quite well), but, here at University, I have to use my laptop, for the time being, which explains the tinny sound of the guitars - I'm doing what I can to balance it using the EQs on my recording software, but it's still not ideal.

Just about to upload a new version of Breaching the Walls of Sylph to EweTube.  Expect multiple time signature changes for dramatic effect and inter-riff-referencing.  Solos are the same, rhythm section has been rerecorded and elongated (twofold, if not more).

First stuff I've heard of yours, digging it, it's got that definite early Morbid Angel vibe, some Profanatica-esque rhythms in the intro, and an original sense of melody. With a rawer sound and some vocals this might be pretty interesting

October 20, 2010, 04:24:29 AM
I VERY much like that transition from the uneven into riff into the rushing battle type riff at 0:39.

The guitar leads are mostly unnecessary, or could be reworked.Keep that dive bomb at 0:37, a very effective texture.

October 20, 2010, 02:06:20 PM
I like that term Sun Metal! Being a Sun sign and all! (Leo)

I do like the solo alot. Very sharp and to the point..no pun intended, or if your like me, I love my small sword collection!

October 20, 2010, 10:52:25 PM
For some insight,  my equipment is as follows:

I use an Ibanez G10 guitar and an Ibanez s400 bass. For a mixer I use the Behringer Xenyx 502. For the distortion I use a Boss Metal Zone Mt-2. When I do open mic recording I use a Radio Shack voice microphone(great quality I might add), along with a Diplomat AL-615 Amplifier 15 watts.

For programs I use Cool Edit Pro and Acoustica Beatcraft for the drums.

That is about all I use!

October 22, 2010, 12:13:28 AM

Hahah, either we have exactly the same bloody influences, or you`ve been plagiarizing me!

Seriously though, that`s actually quite impressive.  Plenty of potential, and certainly with some more work this could be something mighty indeed.  The second solo sounds the more relevant of the two, and I couldn`t help thinking ``CALL OF THE WINTERMOOOOONNN!!!!`` during it, haha.

October 22, 2010, 12:19:26 AM
Helmholtz, do you have a link to any recordings of yours?

That riff with the second solo is, on reflection, Black Metal "technique" within a Death Metal progression (which can be heard as "pure Death Metal" in the following riff).  I can't seem to shake the Black Metal from my music - everything I write seems to be subtly tainted by it.  Still, I'm generally pleased with this piece of work, and on where I've brought it to now, since that second version.  It's shaping up to be pretty epic.

October 22, 2010, 12:25:03 AM
Helmholtz, do you have a link to any recordings of yours?

That riff with the second solo is, on reflection, Black Metal "technique" within a Death Metal progression (which can be heard as "pure Death Metal" in the following riff).  I can't seem to shake the Black Metal from my music - everything I write seems to be subtly tainted by it.  Still, I'm generally pleased with this piece of work, and on where I've brought it to now, since that second version.  It's shaping up to be pretty epic.

Yep, you commented on them once: http://www.myspace.com/IntoOblivionTO

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,6846.0.html

I guess we both seem to have a combination in approaches between death metal and black metal.  I just sensed that Morbid Angel and At the Gates were huge influences here, likewise in my own work.  Also, ignore the first album, haha.  It's alot more hit and miss than the present material.

October 22, 2010, 02:18:48 AM
Somehow, I failed to make the link between you and Into Oblivion.  Definitely a number of steps beyond the standard drivel that is, nowadays, called "Death Metal" - I've listened to the debut a few times now, which, for anything akin to Death Metal, is an achievement, given that I never keep any Death Metal which is insufficient (aside from Into Oblivion, I've got Morbid Angel, Deicide, Massacra, and Soulside Journey).  I've also literally just noticed that most of the Death Metal I listen to was created by bands who weren't pidgeonholed into a "Death Metal" genre.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm occasionally rhythmically and melodically inspired by Morbid Angel, and otherwise inspired simply by having a "feel" of the '80s and early '90s styles of Death Metal, and then fitting that feeling to whatever concepts I come up with.  The band which mainly influences my idea of Death Metal is Morbid Angel, though, and I very rarely listen to any At the Gates, although I've been told before that my music "sounds like" bands which I've rarely/never heard (and, occasionally, bands which I've never heard of at all).

If I were to write a Black Metal interpretation of an idea, it would come out very differently, so there's definitely a conscious decision to explain the concept through the medium of Death Metal rather than anything else.

October 22, 2010, 07:55:25 PM
And this is a pure form or writing. Of my personal collection, I do  have more death metal then black metal. I like my death metal to be technical but raw at the same time.  I once lived with a former ANUS member here, and we both started a black metal project. I have to say it was the most enjoyable time for me to be able to play with someone whose ideas can co-exist in a natural manner.(Though I am not  as knowledgeable in black metal as I would like to be, I naturally create death metal). When we started a death metal project, we both worked on our strengths: I was more fluid on the left hand, and he was more fluid on his right, so our style was a combination of these two strengths. Though nothing much materialized, it was a worthy experience. 

I do wish that I had practiced more consistently, because my current abilities are lacking. Though speed is never the determining factor in playing, I was faster 7 years ago. And playing fast and with a sharp attack is even the better to convey my ideas.

chv

October 23, 2010, 07:54:25 AM
Currently studying counterpoint theory so I can learn how to write classical music the right way and not the jamming out layers of midi for movie music way.