Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

End of clubhouseness: forum is growing

End of clubhouseness: forum is growing
March 28, 2010, 04:02:41 PM
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php?action=stats

Look at Forum History (Time Offset).

This means that a close-knit community expands, and the original membership is diluted.

I think if we are practical we will want to:

(a) Keep what was good about the past, and share it with new members
(b) Be glad to see the bad go away, e.g. the circularity and occasional clannishness

If we really had our shit together, each experienced user would informally mentor a couple new members and keep bitter burnouts from flaming them.

It's a coming together -- new users learn what we've learned, and we accept them without rushing to judge them for a few early attempts. Come on, we all fucked up before we could walk, walk before we ran, etc.

This could be really awesome.

Thanks to Octuple for noticing this, and for posting it to the NIHILLIST.

Re: End of clubhouseness: forum is growing
March 29, 2010, 01:58:54 PM
So am I an experienced user, a new member, or a burnout?

E

March 29, 2010, 02:30:11 PM
With 19.847 members, I'd say it's relatively quiet 'round these parts. Y'all do a good job scaring off most conversationists, apparently.

March 29, 2010, 04:50:57 PM
With 19.847 members, I'd say it's relatively quiet 'round these parts. Y'all do a good job scaring off most conversationists, apparently.

Or maybe its just your constant negativity

March 29, 2010, 05:10:54 PM

There will be talk on any forum.

90% will lurk and read and learn; 9% will chip in; 1% will make most of the posts.

We created this forum for the 90%, and the 1% if they think hard should see themselves as serving these others, bringing light to darkness through darkness and light joined as one process.

We created this forum in the spirit of metal.

Sacrament of Life

A lot of registered users never post, or just post to promote something, like many forums. But a lot of people, including our dear lurkers, read. The fact is that people just visiting the forum is increasing and thus there's a correlation with people signing in and posting.

I'm more worried about this, from the stats:

Male to Female Ratio:   6:1

Too much bolts and very few nuts!

If Hessianopolis becomes a reality, we will start listening to ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? sooner than you may think.

Come on ladies! We're just joking about being aspies and nerds, we're all attractive alpha super duper men! :p

E

March 29, 2010, 07:03:28 PM

By conversationists I mean loudmouths who just love to hear themselves talk and/or visit forums to vent their job-related frustrations, practice their debating skills, bash Fenriz some more, etc. rather than provide insight.
I'm among them, but I don't see lots of them on this forum. That's good. That's what I ment.

Some people don't come here because this is the only good metal forum, but because this is the ANUS forum (100% METAL my ass). As such it provides additional info on (applied) nihilism, much to the advantage of, e.g.,  undermen who are for some reason incapable of fully understanding everything written on ANUS.com at a glance. That's one reason people just lurk or sporadically talk bollocks here.

This being 'a metal forum', not an official ANUS forum, I can't say it surprises me we have so few women. 'Metal' is a filter that neither welcomes the good as such nor does it keep the idiots out, but it sure invites a shitload of boys.
Any estimates of M/ F ratio on the Corrupt forum? In my recollection it was better.

April 02, 2010, 04:20:37 PM
But a lot of people, including our dear lurkers, read. The fact is that people just visiting the forum is increasing and thus there's a correlation with people signing in and posting.

45050 Posts in 5504 Topics by 20038 Members

Looks that way. Nifty.

April 28, 2010, 11:42:25 PM
Unless I'm a math dunce, judging by the most online field, there is a consistent 33% increase over at least three months compared to the same months a year ago.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 29, 2010, 04:31:59 AM
I have a hardtime believing that out of nowhere 1439 people registered here. Especially when the previous month was 175.

April 29, 2010, 06:18:42 AM
I have a hardtime believing that out of nowhere 1439 people registered here. Especially when the previous month was 175.

That's only an eightfold increase. Some may be spammers, but that kind of jump isn't unusual if a site gets attention.

I think the increased accessibility and more frequent updates are drawing in people, and breaking up the kind of closed circle where loudmouths get all the attention. That's how this forum is sometimes, and it reminds me of shithead forums like treehugger or stormfront where the ideological extremists get all the attention and drive away the thoughtful.

April 29, 2010, 06:04:05 PM
A LOT of these new users appear to be spammers/promoters. Just take a glance at the Commerce section.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 29, 2010, 07:47:22 PM
I'm a part of that "90%" pointed out above; I've been reading articles and forum discussions for quite a while now. Me, and others i know from my third-world country. We haven't shared any opinions until now; we agree with most of the nihilism philosophy but it's impossible to adapt it to our lives, living in a society with deplorable-minded humans and . many other complicated circumstances.

Greetings, from the Dominican Republic.

Ohh, and of course. We listen to good quality Metal.

April 29, 2010, 07:58:06 PM
I'm a part of that "90%" pointed out above; I've been reading articles and forum discussions for quite a while now. Me, and others i know from my third-world country. We haven't shared any opinions until now; we agree with most of the nihilism philosophy but it's impossible to adapt it to our lives, living in a society with deplorable-minded humans and . many other complicated circumstances.

Cheers roassiD! I just started posting here too, hadn't been lurking, just found a different forum worthy of posting in. I think I may stick around for a while.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

April 29, 2010, 10:11:48 PM

Good to have you around, man. Cheers, hope you can find some guidance on this forum (that's how it helped me).
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 30, 2010, 09:21:41 PM

By conversationists I mean loudmouths who just love to hear themselves talk and/or visit forums to vent their job-related frustrations, practice their debating skills, bash Fenriz some more, etc. rather than provide insight.
I'm among them, but I don't see lots of them on this forum. That's good. That's what I ment.

I'm glad to hear you say that. The egos have been raging here the last year or so, I didn't expect someone with such an unguarded ego to admit his mistakes and look at himself from the outside. That's good and strong, a warrior's ethos. The others will continue to talk in the third person and talk about the problem with 'other people', instead of looking at themselves. I have no problems admitting to doing this, thanks for doing the same. Perhaps there's hope for this place after all.