Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Intelligence

Re: Intelligence
April 09, 2010, 11:06:59 PM
Superficiality and high "IQ" can go well together. Intelligence, in contrast, is never superficial.

Can, but rarely do. Seriously, you're making a stupid argument here. Yes, we all know they have to be real people in addition to being smart. But so what? A real person who's also not smart is also not really effective at anything, so go for the smart ones.

You're missing his point, which is that intellectual ability does not necessarily mean that the aforementioned ability will be of any use.  A smart person who spends his time contemplating ways in which we might show the evolution of the many Races of Man in a more "equality-based" light is far less use than a physically capable retard who can at least carry out simple yet necessary tasks.

April 11, 2010, 08:22:30 PM
You're missing his point, which is that intellectual ability does not necessarily mean that the aforementioned ability will be of any use.

Boys, can we not fight this one out again?

Yes, intellectual ability does not necessarily mean that person will be useful.

But as others have said, without intellectual ability, that person will definitely not be useful.

So we need intellectual ability and a certain kind of motivation. OK, we get it.

I think what you really want to rag on here are the "theorists" who want to talk endlessly about certain topics, and yet never do anything. Yes, I agree, a thousand times yes! These people are walking suicides.

But they may grow, especially if we shut them down when they exhibit that behavior. The first rule should be asking every loudmouth what volunteer activity they do for ANUS.

I know you (Cargest) are admin of Burzum.com, amirite?

April 11, 2010, 11:24:46 PM
I was, until I gave up the position in early Summer of last year, due to impending not-being-in-the-country and not-having-access-to-internet.  At the moment, with three bands, two solo projects, a shedload of literature to be written, and volunteering as a gardener for the National Trust, I don't have a significant amount of spare time to spend on projects/activities which would help ANUS and/or related websites, but there was one point a month or so ago when I was considering applying for the editorship of churcharson.com.

April 12, 2010, 05:51:01 PM
Oops, guess I was reading an old list of who's working on what. Sorry about that.

April 13, 2010, 09:37:22 PM
The essential principle here is that we must be very careful not to confuse IQ with Intelligence.

And the essential application is this:

To the question of knowing whether it is better to have
intelligence or a good character, we reply: a good character. Why? Because, when this
question is asked, one is never thinking of integral intelligence, which essentially implies
self-knowledge; conversely, a good character always implies an element of intelligence,
obviously on condition that the virtue be real and not compromised by an underlying
pride, as is the case in the “zeal of bitterness.”

...which is confirmed by the world's great sages:

"Many are attracted to philosophy whose natures are imperfect and whose souls are maimed and disfigured by their meannesses... And when persons who are unworthy of education approach philosophy and make an alliance with her who is a rank above them what sort of ideas and opinions are likely to be generated? Will they not be sophisms captivating to the ear, having nothing in them genuine, or worthy of or akin to true wisdom?" (Plato)

"With all their science, those people at Paris are not able to discern what God is in the least of creatures--not even in a fly!" (Eckhart)

"Of the signs of the Hour is that knowledge shall be taken away and ignorance shall reign supreme." (Muhammad)

...and which is also confirmed by life.

April 13, 2010, 11:27:25 PM
Then intelligence is a dynamic, composite attribute including ability, actions, and a results history. IQ, a unit of measure, is just a snapshot of this intelligence on a standardized reference point within a limited timeframe relevant to the intelligence's total existence.

I like that quote by the prophet. It reminds me of:

The second law, as Snow explained it, offers an even more gloomy prognosis: not only is it impossible to win in the game of energy-work exchanges, one cannot so much as break even. Though energy is conserved, that does not mean the energy is conserved within the machine where it is used: mechanical systems tend toward increasing disorder, and therefore, it is impossible for the machine even to return to the original level of energy.

The third law, discovered in 1905, seems to offer a possibility of escape from the conditions imposed in the second law: at the temperature of absolute zero, this tendency toward breakdown drops to a level of zero as well. But the third law only proves that absolute zero cannot be attained: hence, Snow's third observation, that it is impossible to step outside the boundaries of this unwinnable heat-energy transformation game.

http://www.answers.com/topic/thermodynamics

It's as if physical reality governs understanding, and its declension toward ignorance.

April 17, 2010, 06:12:44 PM
I think people here are making excuses for a simple fact of reality:

While some high IQ people flake out and are not smart, all smart people have high IQ.

Let's move on.

April 18, 2010, 01:58:37 AM
Left field comment:  Don't forget chance.  People always forget about chance.  Chance plays a much bigger role than people generally like to think it does.  A genius won't accomplish much if he's mowed down by a drunk driver or sexually abused as a child or caught in a tornado.

Beethoven was the song of an alcoholic and abusive father, yet still managed to create the most awesome pieces. Why is that? The string will to. Many geniuses didn't have a lucky life. I don't believe in luck. Some things happen because of the inevitability of it. Although inevitability can be avoided. Intelligence and will help you overcome as many obstacles as you can.   

January 31, 2011, 04:46:50 AM
Brain Network Related To Intelligence Identified

In all cases, nurture is of little to no consequence if the nature side is lacking.

The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Stupidity has painful consequences, demographically.

January 31, 2011, 07:47:05 PM
Beethoven was the song of an alcoholic and abusive father, yet still managed to create the most awesome pieces.

Genius often skips generations, or shows up rarely among a family with potential for it. Then sometimes, you have multiple generations of people who are of very high intelligence if not genius. I suspect that if inbred to a population it stays.

February 01, 2011, 03:57:14 AM
We have a chicken or egg, which came first, illusory dilemma to resolve.

One side insists that the only means to have better people is to place them in a better society. This does not explain why the first advancing societies came about.

The other side believes a better society cannot come about unless there are better people who can create it to begin with and furthermore remain to maintain it. In other words, societies do not essentially shape people in the hard encoding process of evolution manner.

There's the answer to the silly dilemma. The chicken had to come first, else nothing could lay chicken eggs. The first chickens, in turn, came from a prior form of avian or reptile.

August 02, 2012, 01:29:42 AM
Now, new research from Washington University in St. Louis suggests that another 10 percent of individual differences in intelligence can be explained by the strength of neural pathways connecting the left prefrontal cortex to the rest of the brain.

Published in the Journal of Neuroscience, the findings establish “global brain connectivity” as a new approach for understanding human intelligence.

“Our research shows that connectivity with a particular part of the prefrontal cortex can predict how intelligent someone is,” suggests lead author Michael W. Cole, PhD, a postdoctoral research fellow in cognitive neuroscience at Washington University. The study is the first to provide compelling evidence that neural connections between the left prefrontal cortex and the rest of the brain make a unique and powerful contribution to the cognitive processing underlying human intelligence, says Cole, whose research focuses on discovering the cognitive and neural mechanisms that make human behavior uniquely flexible and intelligent.

“This study suggests that part of what it means to be intelligent is having a prefrontal cortex that does its job well; and part of what that means is that it can effectively communicate with the rest of the brain,” says study co-author Todd Braver, PhD, professor of psychology in Arts & Sciences and of neuroscience and radiology in the School of Medicine.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-08-brain-imaging-intelligent.html

August 03, 2012, 04:17:55 PM
A genius won't accomplish much if he's mowed down by a drunk driver or sexually abused as a child or caught in a tornado.
Not trying to derail the topic, but I noticed whenever people list things that might ruin a genius, they always mention being molested. How do you think this ruins a genius? I was unfortunately molested by a family member when I was a young child, which was traumatic of course but it didn't turn magically turn me into a retard. If anything being as intelligent as I am probably helped me deal with it better than most people would.

August 03, 2012, 10:19:06 PM
Molestation can destroy a child when his/her family is apathetic to it, and the child realizes he is of no worth to them. This could be difficult to overcome in adulthood. A person in this position might have a high IQ, or artistic ability and still be unable to function at an average level.

August 04, 2012, 12:41:38 PM
Using molestation or any number of stock, provocative examples to illustrate whatever point is probably more a function of linguistic habits than anything.  People just repeat each other.  Language is contagious.  Notice how every turn of phrase around here is about homosexuality and autism.