Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Malayasia bans Black Metal

Re: Malayasia bans Black Metal
January 27, 2006, 01:54:59 PM
Too bad the music will not improve in the face of such adversity.

TC

January 27, 2006, 03:54:30 PM
Polish death metal veterans VADER have posted the following message on their official web site:

"VADER is on the list of 228 metal bands banned in Islamic Malaysia. The National Fatwa Council issued the religious decree against the 'black metal cult,' citing practices in which members stamp on the holy Koran, drink alcohol and freely engage in sex. Council chair Shukor Husin said the cult's practices, based on U.S. rock band METALLICA which has used symbols including an inverted cross, went against the teachings of Islam and could propel a Muslim out of the religion. However he said, merely listening to heavy metal songs was not a crime."

i'm sure you can come up with your own joke here.  i can think of a few....

March 16, 2006, 03:46:33 AM
It seems many metalheads object to this ban and want to become martyrs over it. Here's my response to them:

What a stupid idea - it's their country and Malaysians can do what they want. If you want metal to be safe, create a place for it.

"I dunno, that's too much work, and there's something good on TV" -- then you fail. Stop whining and die quietly like the good obedient sheep that you are.

Viriatus

March 16, 2006, 08:21:47 AM
Everything is banned in Malasya. As you can see in www.imdb.com almost every movie is banned there. Even Shrek is! Definitely not a good place to live.

March 16, 2006, 01:49:53 PM
It seems many metalheads object to this ban and want to become martyrs over it. Here's my response to them:

What a stupid idea - it's their country and Malaysians can do what they want. If you want metal to be safe, create a place for it.

"I dunno, that's too much work, and there's something good on TV" -- then you fail. Stop whining and die quietly like the good obedient sheep that you are.

I agree with this.

I have a theory on this though: With more countries becoming democratic (especially close neighbor China), Malaysians will want more freedoms than what they have at the moment.

It's like being a child at school who's parents made him a salad with an apple for lunch. He looks around him and finds his schoolmates eating pizza, soda, chips, and candy bars. He may not even know what these other foods taste like, but the very fact that so many of them are eating this food, will make him very curious to try these foods.

So what I am saying is that Malaysia can't expect their people to remain strict in their ways, with so many reminders through television, the internet, etc. of other products and entertainment that the outside world enjoys. These people will feel left out and become extremely curious.

You can't disapprove of something you don't know.

March 17, 2006, 09:05:33 PM
As you can see in www.imdb.com almost every movie is banned there. Even Shrek is!

Lack of Shrek in my life = actual influence: 0.

Lack of Hollywood in my life = actual influence: maybe 4-20 hours a year, tops.

In other words, I'd live. Without a hitch. My life would be more negatively affect in Malaysia by a lack of access to certain western junk foods.

March 18, 2006, 06:10:32 AM
The totalitarians don't like the decadent totalitarians! lol

Black metallers really ought to support this crude external policing, it'll probably raise their heartbeats a little to think of all those oppressed sheep.

Can we not see the funny side??

March 18, 2006, 11:50:24 AM
I'm not sure what admin means by 'creating a place for metal to be safe,' but I am guessing that his strict adherance to nationalism overrides any hope for metal enlightenment for Malayasians.  :'(

Distinguish between the usual aggressive passivity of the 'sheep' and taking an assertive approach.

The sheep may react by stomping on the Qoran or cursing Malaysia from afar on some remote metal message boards. This is the usual idiotic aggressive passivity one may expect. Non-symbolic and non-emotionally fueled methods can also achieve goals.

Malaysia does not appear to be non-nationalist.

March 18, 2006, 12:02:24 PM
Observe Malaysia's assertiveness. They didn't begin gunning down black metal listeners on sight, nor engage in a continual state media slander campaign against the music. Instead, they asserted their authority by legally banning the undesired. Take note that some western countries may opt to use the passivity option and engage in mere childish slander using various forms of mass media. This is the weakness that results from everyone having rights including HIV+ transgenered handicapped bug chasers.

aimanirrajim

March 20, 2006, 06:29:11 AM
hails

the malaysian metal scene is DEAD. it used to have a strong one with local labels releasing splits with foreign bands etc.. but do we really must have a scene? at least bands from different parts of malaysia can come up with their own distinct sounds when they stop listening to each other's materials at insignificant little gigs..    

behemoth666.6

March 23, 2006, 01:21:10 AM
i have heard of this atrocity, 'tis a shame that the people in that country will never know the joys of truly great black/death metal bands such as Vader and behemoth. just another example of how religion srews this world up.

April 19, 2006, 10:36:26 AM
ihave been heard that topic toolate but idont know the reason why malaisia ban black metal bands of foreign to perform in this country because iwanted to show up  black metal of malai sia in this time so im sorry if i could avoid some irrestible mistaken beetwen islam and black
Bazzah is a cult primitive Malaysian black metal band playing raw black metal in the vein of Von, Beherit, Blasphemy and Naked Whipper. This cd , their latest Kingdom of the Dead release and their earlier work Death is All I See as a bonus. of 11 songs, cause from song 12 till 19 it all sounds different productionwise, especially the drums. Black metal in the vein of Von, Beherit, Blasphemy and the likes? Well I guess From Beyond Productions tries to convince us that Bazzah has an old school feel, but after listening to the 19 songs I can only conclude that they are way of with this comparison. A band like Black Witchery, Thornspawn or even Enthroned is more of a closer guess. Moreover, . I had my shares of bad produced black metal, but mostly this is a good thing as black metal benefits in a way of a haunting and evil atmosphere. Not here, part 1 has an awfull sound and is recorded way too loudly. All the songs sound alike and there is not a single song that stands out from the rest. Part 2 on the other hand has a better sound, but for the rest suffers the same flaws as part 1 does. If this cd was released as an ep, with 2 or 3 songs I could live with the flaws in that it wouldn't bore me. But 19 songs made around the same basic drumpattern and guitarriffs is too much for me. Too bad, because the riffs are quite good in their simplicity and impact. Maybe when Bazzah tries to inject more variety, focus more on their songwriting skills and get a decent productionjob (suited for black metal) they can loose the description made by their label: No melodies, no keyboards, no nice music

aimanirrajim

April 20, 2006, 06:12:11 AM
islam is delusional. i hope the U.S bomb those damn muzzies into oblivion.

April 20, 2006, 04:56:04 PM
ONLY 228 bands?  Well, the Malaysian metal fan can just get stuff that isn't on the list.  Haha!  So it's hardly the be all and end all.

Or  :o they could just disregard the ban.  It's not like the authorities will check every single package containing CDs to see if they contain the offending records.