Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hessian Attire

Hessian Attire
April 19, 2010, 01:27:48 AM
Huzzah!  An entirely shallow thread, devoted to clothing etc!

What's the consensus on apparel?  Are we all blatant "Metalheads", or have some of us, for good or bad reasons, moved on from (or perhaps never even worn) tight jeans, leather jackets, and band tshirts?  Personally, being totally comfortable with not transcending every aspect of human existence RIGHT NOW!!!1!1, I prefer to belong to an easily recognisable "tribe", thereby indulging my instinct to belong to a group of some description.  From about the age of eleven, I began growing my hair, getting black jeans, band tshirts, even going so far as to get spiked leather bracers (which I now only wear for the lulz, doing gigs or whatever - might as well complete the "image").

To me, the "Metalhead" look, being evidence certainly of one's musical preference, is entirely fitting for the Hessian culture.  It's aggressive and warlike; "different" (though not by design, but by natural evolution); when done well, noble, though, again, in a warlike fashion.

Secondly, would anybody be interested in patches/badges/whatever of this?  With the consent of hessian.org, I intend to make one for myself, and, if the idea is popular, I might have a whole batch made at a lower price, so that I might sell the surplus off for cheap.

Edit: yes, I have a terrible habit of not proof-reading topics when I start them.

Re: Hessian Attire
April 19, 2010, 03:44:22 AM
Our friendly neighbours at Corrupt have offered assistance regarding this topic in the past. Personally, for giving presentations, office work, special events, or if I feel like it, I typically wear a dress-shirt, tie, belt, and a comfortable pair of slacks. I don't have a blazer, as I feel they look stupid but in Hrothgar's last example, it looks pretty badass if you can pardon the misfitting.

http://www.corrupt.org/news/dressing_like_an_adult_metalheads_transformed
http://www.corrupt.org/news/dressing_like_an_adult_pt_ii

For the lulz:

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/7/0/7/2707_photo.jpg

April 19, 2010, 04:18:36 AM
Having lived with Hrothgar, I definitely think you have to pardon the misfitting somewhat.  They don't really make off-the-rack men's clothes in his size.  I rarely wear dress shirts myself, largely because I've got a 22" neck, but I'm nowhere near large enough to wear off-the-rack "big" shirts, so I have to have all my dress shirts tailored, which was historically a bit of budget stretcher for me.  I have, however, long since given up the Hesher look, which, in most environments, marks you as a less-than-serious person.

NHA

April 19, 2010, 04:54:13 AM
I'd swap the pentagram with something more interesting.

All the satan bullshit might have been useful when christian conservatives were in charge but its pretty irrelevant now.

Something like this, but more occult maybe:

April 19, 2010, 05:08:36 AM
I think a certain form of dress for a certain subculture is both immature, and un-unique.
Dress as to what suits you. For example: I use to wear band shirts in high school, but after graduation I moved on to plain black t-shirts. Same comfort, without advertising anything.

April 19, 2010, 09:19:36 AM
Typically, if I wear a suit for any occasion, it's black with a white/grey shirt and black/red tie.  I haven't had to wear a suit for almost a year now, though, since there's no dress code where I work.  Unfortunately, this means it's likely that, the next time I need a suit, I'm going to have to get a new one tailored, again.

I think a certain form of dress for a certain subculture is both immature, and un-unique.

I believe this discussion has been had already, but what's wrong with not being unique?  As far as I understand it, the pursuit of "uniqueness" is the calling card of the Hipster/"Alt"/Fag/Liberal (not that it isn't important to others, too).

Also, flag of Albania.  I like the anti-Islam sentiment.

April 19, 2010, 12:29:58 PM
Don't be a wimp; don't dress a certain way because you take refuge and satisfaction in conformity, norms and lack of conflict with your peers.

Don't be a poser; don't dress a certain way because it gives you egoistic satisfaction and boosts the pretense that you are a rock star or a "serious person" or something else that only exists as a façade in your daydreams, shielding against reality.

That's about it. When free from these sentiments, there is hardly anything to criticize, whether you happen to choose the suit or the Slayer shirt. If you have brains, you probably know the right occasion for each.

April 19, 2010, 02:29:01 PM
Don't be a wimp; don't dress a certain way because you take refuge and satisfaction in conformity, norms and lack of conflict with your peers.

Don't be a poser; don't dress a certain way because it gives you egoistic satisfaction and boosts the pretense that you are a rock star or a "serious person" or something else that only exists as a façade in your daydreams, shielding against reality.

That's about it. When free from these sentiments, there is hardly anything to criticize, whether you happen to choose the suit or the Slayer shirt. If you have brains, you probably know the right occasion for each.

This.  I've never had more than two "metalhead" friends in my entire life until I joined the band of which I'm now the vocalist, but it hasn't stopped me from wearing what I want to wear, despite flack from my "peers" (perhaps "contemporaries" is a better word) for not trying so hard to be normal.  Now, I find satisfaction in showing people that, actually, beneath the "lowlife" guise, I'm a rational, intelligent, and knowledgeable person.  People seem shocked to learn that I listen to Classical music, don't do drugs, and read for fun.

April 19, 2010, 02:38:31 PM
That goth girl in the OP's post looks like a peacock. You're doing it wrong!

I typically wear band t shirts and jeans/slacks on most occasions. I have some regular solid color Ts that I wear too. For more formal occasions, I have several dress shirts and suits for whenever they are necessary.

I look casual, but not like a slob. There's a fine line.

April 20, 2010, 12:17:49 AM
I've picked up some tips about this:

• Don't ever look like a slob or use ill fitting attire that is rap-baggy or emo-tight
  • Clothes should be appropriate for the climate, terrain and occasion of course
  • Primary colors, bright colors and tie dye marks one as a knuckle dragging mouthbreather forever; no iMac rainbow crud
  • Blue denim jeans are OUT because they are now officially androgynous/metro

April 20, 2010, 12:55:52 AM
    • Blue denim jeans are OUT because they are now officially androgynous/metro

I agree with your points except this.  I don't like blue jeans myself, but 1: how are they more androgynous/ metro than any other pants?  It depends mainly on the style.

Also, I'd say a bit of androgyny can be effective in one's life, and it has a long-standing history in metal (well, not so much extreme metal as rock-and-roll now that I think about it).  Perhaps I am only defending myself here, as my looks are more effeminate than brutish regardless of the length of my hair/ tightness of pants.

I dress mainly in dark neutrals, leather jacket/ boots to suit the occasion, and enjoy metal detaling on jackets and so forth.  Nothing extraneous though.  Worry about the cut and fit; that's mostly where the sloppiness comes in.  I don't know how you guys will take to this, but I appreciate this collection:

http://www.gq.com/fashion-shows/complete/F2009MEN-HLMEN

April 20, 2010, 02:44:31 AM
    I have no problem with the hessian appearance per se. In fact, I look like one, and I am still pretty young so I can get away with it. To me context is important. I am not particularly worried if I am in a casual context and somebody doesn't think I look like a serious person, whatever that means. If they talk to me at all, any notion that I am some sort of drug-addled idiot is quickly dispelled. I definitely have some standards nevertheless. I have nice clothes for the appropriate occasions, e.g. dates, job interviews, funerals, weddings, dinner with the family, etc., etc. That is just common sense, I think. But I do try very hard not to look like a slob even when I am dressed casually. I pay close attention to how clothes fit me. Anything overly baggy or overly tight is out of the question. I also do not wear shirts with big colorful illustrations on them, or dumb statements on the back like "I eat children for breakfast", or pictures of corpse-painted weirdos. If I wear metal shirts they are almost always black with white logo and possibly some simple colorless album art or something. That is "hessian" enough without being overly tacky by my standards. Actually, a lot of people probably think I own only one shirt because of this. Also, a lot of people probably think I only own one or two pairs of pants given that I procure my casual lower body wear exclusively from military surplus outlets.

I do not have long hair; I shaved it all off recently. When I had long hair I would pull it back into a ponytail on serious occasions. Actually, I preferred that look over letting my hair down, and women had nice to things to say about it when it was like that. Now that I have a shaved head I look vaguely like one of those heathen white nationalist/fascist guys, especially if I wear combat boots. That worries me a bit because I have no sympathies with fascism qua political persuasion. It probably doesn't help that I don a mjollnir pendant. Well, anybody concerned that I'm a racist should know that I am a flagrant race traitor.

April 20, 2010, 03:00:56 AM
    Also, not to be confused with the macho hipster image as follows: http://www.afflictionclothing.com/ and http://www.tapout.com/