Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hessian Attire

Re: Hessian Attire
April 21, 2010, 06:03:39 AM
Fallen
Actually Fallen is a skateboarding clothing company. I wear their shoes.

April 21, 2010, 03:40:47 PM
Threads like this don't belong on anus, makes metal seem more like a social scene than an artform.

How does it do this, pray tell?  At that, h ow is personal/group appearance not an intrinsic part of the artform?  How much of an impact would Black Metal have had on any of us here, had it not been for the associated aesthetic?  Anybody who created music as dark, pensive, and oft-times morbid, as that of Mayhem, Immortal, Emperor, etc., but who dressed in a fashion more befitting Spandau Ballet, is obviously a false, and didn't entry.  When you see that this hideous creation was birthed by the Blackest Sorcerors and most Unholy Vampyric Creatures ever to have existed, the weight of the entire experience is increased.

You can't sing about peace and love while wearing an SS uniform, and you can't sing about war and destruction while wearing traditional Bavarian costume.

I could make points about how the Art (in its individual forms) and the artist are inseparable, about how the artist must therefore "live" (in/by) his Art (I would never suggest that the artist were more important than the Art, though), ad infinitum.  People here occasionally slip into thinking that Art is not created for communicative purposes.

April 21, 2010, 06:39:11 PM
I have no problem with the musicians dressing up, image clearly is a big part of the music, especially since it's so rooted in fantasy.  If you guys dress like metalheads, it shouldn't be a conscious thing that you have to talk about, I thought the whole point of dressing like a metalhead was saying "fuck it" and dressing the way you wanted to, not having a thought-out uniform to establish that you're in the "scene".  Metal is about rebelling against that shallow shit.  This is like going on a forum and talking about how to best dress "grungy", CLEARLY missing the point (not that there was much more point than that to grunge anyways, but still).  I've never had to dress up to like metal, but I suppose that makes me a "jogging suit" poser, right?  Metalheads are starting to look more and more like juggalos to me.

April 21, 2010, 07:45:58 PM
I have nothing more to say to blind trees. It looks like I'll be needing to find a forum that is more elite in its ideology. I should have known when ANUS started being connected to a conservative hipster website (and yes CORRUPT is becoming hipster).

"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!" - Marquis de Sade

Edit: Being thyself is far distinguished from a hipster 'being himself'. You must know yourself, what aesthetically pleases you, and you must be cultured. Once you have an aesthetic grounding than you must choose what is appealing to you. If a metal shirt, chain-mail, business suit is appealing to you - wear it. Know thyself.

April 21, 2010, 09:20:27 PM
I have no problem with the musicians dressing up

I think a fair number of us are musicians.

I'm certainly not saying that it's a conscious decision, to dress "like a Metalhead".  It isn't something that we absolutely have to talk about, but I decided to open up a discussion on this subject because it may or may not shed some amount of light on the essence of the Hessian spirit, as we delve further into the aesthetic, establish its various qualities, and see if we can't map these qualities to already established qualities of "Hessianism", and so on -  you must have general ideas of where the discussion could go, by now.

I don't see why it's something we should categorically not talk about.  It's not my conscious decision for my heart to continue beating, but it happens, and we (or, more accurately, the intelligent in general) might discuss that, even though it's only slightly less shallow than discussing clothing etc. (if we were to take the hardline path of discussing only the transcendental at any given opportunity).

If it's anything to do with the absolute failure of an isomorphism which you attempted to provide, then it would be the equivalent of going on a forum and opening a discussion on why the "grunge" aesthetic fit (or perhaps didn't fit) the music, and whatever "message" the musicians were attemping to convey, and whatever message any true Art which may have arisen from the movement may have conveyed to the appreciator.

Is it not interesting that such a warlike, anti-modern, and noble being as the Hessian should choose for himself the garb of a noble, anti-modern Warrior, refining and improving his armour as time goes on?

Perhaps this is simply me suddenly discovering the warrior spirit, the aspiration to being warlike, and yet a further and stronger pull from the past.  Or, perhaps, it's you being self-important.  Regardless of the reality, I am a prideful individual, young as I am, and can only see the latter.

April 21, 2010, 10:05:04 PM
Edit: Being thyself is far distinguished from a hipster 'being himself'. You must know yourself, what aesthetically pleases you, and you must be cultured. Once you have an aesthetic grounding than you must choose what is appealing to you. If a metal shirt, chain-mail, business suit is appealing to you - wear it. Know thyself.

I'm sorry, but either this is too complex an idea to appropriately express in words, or this distinction between 'yourself' (as it is a self-consciously manipulated social construct) and 'thyself' (as it is some essential kernel of one's absolute being) is simply your hanging on to an ideology that doesn't hold its weight.  No one living in the modern world, regardless of how anti-modern one finds his tastes and ideals, can assert that he has some core essence with which he is somehow in touch beneath his so-called surface.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  Let me try to explain:

It has been speculated in other threads that the downfall of metal is its aesthetic, and its ultimately being bound to pop music because of such.  However, I would agree with Cargest in that it is exactly this that attracts us to metal.  We can write it off as nonsensical on an intellectual level, but that is when we truly cross the threshold into our more social side.  We hold high our disdain for fashion because our higher interests are more fashionable in certain cricles.

Where do we draw the line between pleasing/ repelling the crowd through use of garments that signify our interests and dressing because we have fully developed our aesthetic tastes?  Answer: our tastes are never fully developed unless our growth is stunted.  I really do not find this topic at all shallow, rather, it is something we find difficult to talk about because it is difficult to do.  It cannot be stressed enough how much impact one's appearance has on his personality; these things are inseparable.  We exist in a social context, regardless of our transcendental aspirations.

I would like to admit that were I not so interested in fine art, fashion design would have been an alternative.  Fine aesthetic sensibilities have a profound impact on those with whom you interact, and upon oneself by reciprocation.  Don't limit yourselves by thinking otherwise.

edit: for the record, I do not find that dressing like a metalhead appropriately meets such needs.

April 21, 2010, 10:49:46 PM
thyself

ITT, people who think that "thou" is the polite form.

April 21, 2010, 11:05:06 PM
Hipster: It's a formidable task to systematize a modern social class, but a Hipster is an elaboration of the 'quirk' or 'being quirky. It is choosing clothes and accesories based on their quirks, not beauty, 'a pink ninja turtles hat!,' 'Wow! That's really retro bro!'.

A hipster has three goals:
1) To be individualistic - trying, and yet not being in essence. It's like 'trying' to be Rembrandt, without 'being' Rembrant.
2) Name-brands. Even if it's an 'underground' shop, it's still a name brand. 'Fallen' skate-shoes are the 'in thing' - and hence, they'll buy it. The Darkthrone or Misfits logo looks 'cool' and it's an authentication of the underground - they'll wear it because of the authentication.
3) 'Trying' to slightly shy away from social standards, or what you 'dad' wears. Again, we can understand a rejection of a business suit for its ugliness - but a hipster rejects it because it reminds them of parents, other generations, 'the man'.

Conformist: Part of the herd mentality. Wearing a certain style because of its popularity or  normality. Not willing to wear what is aesthetically pleasing or beautiful (to them) because of the fear of crossing social boundaries. Social anxiety. The majority of human beings.

Ubermensch: An existentialist, as much as in mind, but also in being. Choosing clothes and accesories for beauty. The Ubermensch will choose whatever is the most aesthetically pleasing to him - like a painter choosing colors. This does not necessarily mean change. If the ubermensch finds the metal shirt the most aesthetically pleasing of all shirts, why would he change for the sake of changing? It is the best.

The Ubermensch cares for beauty, not 'fitting in,' herd mentality fashions, or rejecting society - he is in love with the world, art, beauty, and transcending thought patterns.

Long hair? Hair is an indicator of health. Kings throughout time have had it for its dominating feature. It frames the face. We as metalheads must take care of our hair, just like most girls. Most men barely brush their hair let alone use products, or go get it trimmed. Just because women biologically are expected to 'care' doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

Crossing boundaries? Admittedly, lines can be crossed. If one dresses as Megatron every day, one will be thought of as a joke, a comedian. Fashion can reach insanity.

Me? I wear eyeliner, metal shirts, I have long hair, an expensive Italian leather jacket, dress shoes, cargo pants. Why? They are the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye, without wearing full medieval regalia - which would be both impracticle and insane.If you hate the metalhead aesthetically, than don't portray it! if you aesthetically prefer N'SYNC for christ's sake, then fine.

The problem with the CORRUPT article? It tries to systematize clothing. we do not remember Baudelaire or Oscar Wilde because they 'systematized their clothing.' Some say, 'poetry is art, it's not a lifestyle!' We need to crush the idea of artistic license. Being, whether it's the imagery or life, is connected.

Varg Vikernes (early era):
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/7626717/Burzum.jpg

Varg Vikernes (belus era):
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/38763653/Burzum+Varg+2009.jpg

Notice the aesthetic differences.

thyself

ITT, people who think that "thou" is the polite form.

http://www.philipcoppens.com/delphi.html

April 21, 2010, 11:55:14 PM
  It cannot be stressed enough how much impact one's appearance has on his personality; these things are inseparable.  We exist in a social context, regardless of our transcendental aspirations.

I would like to admit that were I not so interested in fine art, fashion design would have been an alternative.  Fine aesthetic sensibilities have a profound impact on those with whom you interact, and upon oneself by reciprocation.  Don't limit yourselves by thinking otherwise.

edit: for the record, I do not find that dressing like a metalhead appropriately meets such needs.

You, Cargest and Conservationist beat me to everything dammit!

The fact that we have such rudimentary technology as a mirror that allows us to view ourselves is elemental but profound nonetheless. Beholding oneself, and especially deriving pride from doing such is a feeling like none other. You don't have to strut around like Gaston from Disney's Beauty and The Beast, for centering the whole of your being/personality upon your image is prevalent amongst the lowest of human lifeforms.

When you become conscious of your body's appearance (sometime around puberty), the desire to better itself (body modification) is only a natural reaction of someone that is success-driven. Body modification doesn't necessarily mean piercing, tatooing etc.. it can be shaving, cutting your hair, letting it grow, gaining muscle mass... all body modification. All things you do to alter all aspects your appearance (like clothing) may not equate with this concept, but it's definitely related...

This might come off as sounding gay, but it's self-worship and self-love in my opinion is VERY practical and separate from egotism: "I am my own God, Master slave and I will be beyond the grave." Egotism usually leads to this neurotic complex in which the individual strives (and continually fails as a result of) to maintain their psychologically-enthroned behaviorism in the physical world. These people come off as douchebags without fail. When people loves themselves (here's the distinction), they often times care very little about interfering directly in the lives of others, since all immediate importance is directed towards self-progress, opposed to egotism which cultures stagnation and eventually degeneration.

I have no problem with traditional Hessian attire. I think such is masculine as can be, compliments my personality and makes me appealing towards the opposite sex. I think QBLH said it best on the Nihilist forums when he asserted that moreoften than not we as Hessians are privy to the hottest women the planet has to offer.

April 22, 2010, 12:02:20 AM
  It cannot be stressed enough how much impact one's appearance has on his personality; these things are inseparable.  We exist in a social context, regardless of our transcendental aspirations.

You, Cargest and Conservationist beat me to everything dammit!

The fact that we have such rudimentary technology as a mirror that allows us to view ourselves is elemental but profound nonetheless. Beholding oneself, and especially deriving pride from doing such is a feeling like none other. You don't have to strut around like Gaston from Disney's Beauty and The Beast, for centering the whole of your being/personality upon your image is prevalent amongst the lowest of human lifeforms.

When you become conscious of your body's appearance (sometime around puberty), the desire to better itself (body modification) is only a natural reaction of someone that is success-driven. Body modification doesn't necessarily mean piercing, tatooing etc.. it can be shaving, cutting your hair, letting it grow, gaining muscle mass... all body modification. All things you do to alter all aspects your appearance (like clothing) may not equate with this concept, but it's definitely related...

This might come off as sounding gay, but it's self-worship and self-love in my opinion is VERY practical and separate from egotism: "I am my own God, Master slave and I will be beyond the grave." Egotism usually leads to this neurotic complex in which the individual strives (and continually fails as a result of) to maintain their psychologically-enthroned behaviorism in the physical world. These people come off as douchebags without fail. When people loves themselves (here's the distinction), they often times care very little about interfering directly in the lives of others, since all immediate importance is directed towards self-progress, opposed to egotism which cultures stagnation and eventually degeneration.

I have no problem with traditional Hessian attire. I think such is masculine as can be, compliments my personality and makes me appealing towards the opposite sex. I think QBLH said it best on the Nihilist forums when he asserted that moreoften than not we as Hessians are privy to the hottest women the planet has to offer.

It is sad. Hessians with the advantage of long hair, intelligence, and a desire for excellence would be the perfect pick-up-artists. The problem is, most of them lack the confidence or self esteem. They too often fall into the self-victimization or 'misunderstood elite' of the metal genre.

April 22, 2010, 01:19:43 AM
Thank you for the excellent replies.

It's a fact, pretty men scare the normals, especially when they're confident.  It is difficult, but one can be subversive with his looks in a social context; looking better than others puts them on edge.

April 22, 2010, 01:47:43 AM
Thank you for the excellent replies.

It's a fact, pretty men scare the normals, especially when they're confident.  It is difficult, but one can be subversive with his looks in a social context; looking better than others puts them on edge.

There's no need to simply agree upon an opinion here. What is stated above has historicity to provide evidence of its truth:

http://b-29s-over-korea.com/Hitlers-Yacht/images/ADOLF-HITLER.jpg

April 22, 2010, 02:14:45 AM
Is it not interesting that such a warlike, anti-modern, and noble being as the Hessian should choose for himself the garb of a noble, anti-modern Warrior, refining and improving his armour as time goes on?
I really don't like to be a douche, but christ dude, this shit is just begging for mockery. Must...resist...trolling..

I don't think there is anything particularly transcendental in Hessian attire -- your clothes aren't anti-modern and they aren't fucking noble. That sweet Burzum shirt your parents gave you for your birthday? It was made by a fucking peasant woman in China in one of those modern shirt factories and, thanks to the power of globalism, flown halfway across the world to your doorstep. Those leather boots? Stripped off mass-bred cattle in a mechanized slaughterhouse.

Of course attire has always been important to metal listeners, but it's one of those little contradictions we like to ignore -- as much as we like to be anti-populist and anti-consumerist, and as much as the art form we love espouses these virtues, the "Hessian lifestyle" is one that involves supporting bands by buying their mass-produced albums, buying and showing the world your metal pride with their mass-produced t-shirts, and procuring the rest of the stylistic accouterments necessary to complete your metal persona. This kind of consumerism is distinctly modern, and of course its problematic on an ideological level, but you're not going to escape it unless you have a cotton plantation on your own estate and you get your slaves to fucking make you shirts. Maybe you are doing that, and if that's the case, good for you, that's a lifestyle becoming of the gentry. For the rest of the folks wearing metal-tees, wearing mass-produced t-shirts is not anti-modern, warlike or noble. It's wearing a goddamn article of clothing -- accept that for what it is instead of pretending you're goddamn Sir Lancelot.

NHA

April 22, 2010, 02:17:33 AM
Long hair? Hair is an indicator of health. Kings throughout time have had it for its dominating feature. It frames the face. We as metalheads must take care of our hair, just like most girls. Most men barely brush their hair let alone use products, or go get it trimmed. Just because women biologically are expected to 'care' doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

Because well manicured long hair on males looks faggy.

April 22, 2010, 02:23:20 AM
I really don't like to be a douche, but christ dude, this shit is just begging for mockery. Must...resist...trolling..

I don't think there is anything particularly transcendental in Hessian attire -- your clothes aren't anti-modern and they aren't fucking noble. That sweet Burzum shirt your parents gave you for your birthday? It was made by a fucking peasant woman in China in one of those modern shirt factories and, thanks to the power of globalism, flown halfway across the world to your doorstep. Those leather boots? Stripped off mass-bred cattle in a mechanized slaughterhouse.

Of course attire has always been important to metal listeners, but it's one of those little contradictions we like to ignore -- as much as we like to be anti-populist and anti-consumerist, and as much as the art form we love espouses these virtues, the "Hessian lifestyle" is one that involves supporting bands by buying their mass-produced albums, buying and showing the world your metal pride with their mass-produced t-shirts, and procuring the rest of the stylistic accouterments necessary to complete your metal persona. This kind of consumerism is distinctly modern, and of course its problematic on an ideological level, but you're not going to escape it unless you have a cotton plantation on your own estate and you get your slaves to fucking make you shirts. Maybe you are doing that, and if that's the case, good for you, that's a lifestyle becoming of the gentry. For the rest of the folks wearing metal-tees, wearing mass-produced t-shirts is not anti-modern, warlike or noble. It's wearing a goddamn article of clothing -- accept that for what it is instead of pretending you're goddamn Sir Lancelot.

Excuse me, I mean no offense, but what exactly am I supposed to feel bad about?