Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Brutal" death metal

Death

Personally, I think the pinnacles of NYDM or any "percussive" Death Metal were reached with Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (the song "Jesus Wept" in particular), Incantation - Onward to Golgotha and Immolation - Failures for Gods (though there are several other contenders, both from the aforementioned bands, others such as Sinister and Morpheus Descends, and some that don't strictly fit the NYDM label such as Brutality, Wicked Innocence, etc.). As for "brutal death", I've yet to find something as brutal and interesting as Infester - To the Depths... In Degradation or Molested - Blod Draum.

If you really want to stretch the definition of "brutal death" out I think most of the death metal I listen to could be called brutal.

As for the Suffocation style, a few of my most listened-to post-2000 releases are those by Deeds of Flesh and Decrepit Birth.  Disgorge seem underestimated compared to other bands in the style but I never entirely got into them.  Brodequin never quite struck my fancy but they're not really worth singling out to criticize, either.

Actually, my one "what the hell?" band off of that list was Wyrd.  I heard Vargtimmen Pt. I for the first time recently and I can only wonder... why do people like this band?  Boring, repetitive and one-dimensional.

Annihilaytorr

Everyone talks about Deeds of Flesh but I have never been able to fully appreciate them like others. I found Decrepit Birth to be a much less focused and powerful version of what Disgorge was trying to do.