Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Genres outside of metal

Genres outside of metal
April 23, 2010, 12:56:08 AM
I understand this is primarily a metal forum, but I'd like to hear other's opinions on different forms of music. Myself, I'm all over the board. I enjoy synth-wave, crust, experimental, world pop, disco, etc. amongst many other genres out there. I'm wondering if folks on this forum are also engaged in broadening their general musical horizons, and if so, do they have any input/recommendations? This forum seems pretty adept musically, so I would expect some interesting results.

Re: Genres outside of metal
April 23, 2010, 02:48:35 AM
I'm more interested in narrowing my musical horizons - or, to put it under different implications, focusing my musical attention. But after some time it felt like I was doing it just to avoid accusations of musical ignorance, which is stupid. Now it's mostly metal, with smidges of IDM and baroque/common practice/romantic classical. Dead Can Dance is still my favorite, though. Has been since I first heard it.

April 23, 2010, 03:07:45 AM
I quite enjoy bluegrass for a change of pace now and again.

at Metal speed even...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvkQKb-UlI&feature=related

April 23, 2010, 01:07:27 PM
I don't really like genres of music, when it comes to popular music.  Like metal, a lot of genres have a few greats and a lot of crap and a lot of genres end up beiing just inherently bad.

Of course we all like Dead Can Dance and Kraftwerk here, for the most part, but none of us would really say that all Neo-Classical and all Electronica is good, or even that a good porion of it is good.

April 23, 2010, 02:33:07 PM
Shanties (sea songs) and polish sung poetry - Edward Stachura and Jacek Kaczmarski...

April 23, 2010, 03:38:54 PM
I'm more interested in narrowing my musical horizons - or, to put it under different implications, focusing my musical attention.

This is an inevitable consequence of maturing and having a personal philosophy other than the ethic of convenience that is what most of our fellow citizens pursue.

In addition, you see how the musical concepts behind genres define them. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. For that reason, I avoid the jazz/blues/rock/pop/techno/hip-hop material.

I can handle some prog rock, and the aforementioned rara avis like Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Dead Can Dance, but beyond that it's a wasteland, so I listen to the original music of my people: classical, modern classical, baroque and early music.

April 23, 2010, 04:25:25 PM

at Metal speed even...?

I actually like some bluegrass, too.  The Dillards are good.  Also some old country like Waylon Jennings.

and of course Classical goes w/out saying.

Baron:  listen to Classical, if you don't already.  You can't go wrong w/ Beethoven.

April 23, 2010, 10:25:03 PM

at Metal speed even...?

I actually like some bluegrass, too.  The Dillards are good.  Also some old country like Waylon Jennings.

and of course Classical goes w/out saying.

Baron:  listen to Classical, if you don't already.  You can't go wrong w/ Beethoven.

I was raised on it. I'm also a classically trained pianist, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about classical music, but thank you.

To all else, I understand that there's always alot of shit to wade through when exploring different genres. But it's always been worth it to me when I find that needle in a haystack. Be it Turkish pop, Soviet punk, French hip-hop or Japanese noise. I also find that there is alot of mention and debate regarding "underground" metal. Wouldn't you want to delve into the underground of other genres as well?

April 23, 2010, 10:39:39 PM
Most genres don't really have an "underground" in the same way.  The whole tape trading, fanzines, and mass-concert-attendance thing is a phenomenon inherent to Metal, and few, if any, other genres.

April 23, 2010, 11:03:17 PM
Most genres don't really have an "underground" in the same way.  The whole tape trading, fanzines, and mass-concert-attendance thing is a phenomenon inherent to Metal, and few, if any, other genres.

It probably was inherited from hardcore (phrasal riff-based) punk, as they had nearly the same with their DIY scene in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

April 23, 2010, 11:13:39 PM
...Turkish pop, Soviet punk, French hip-hop or Japanese noise... Wouldn't you want to delve into the underground of other genres as well?
No, and why should I want to? Why waste time on forcing myself into feeling an artificial connection with forms of expression designed for people unlike myself? I don't see anything wrong with other genres (unlike some of the more vocal people here), but they are not meant for me, nor am I meant for them. I've come to realize that forcing myself (for that is what it is, forcing) into an "understanding" of these forms music is, though absolutely possible and not the least bit difficult, wasted energy. Why try to be "open-minded"(i.e. indecisive)? I'm not a globalist.

April 23, 2010, 11:18:43 PM

It probably was inherited from hardcore (phrasal riff-based) punk, as they had nearly the same with their DIY scene in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Good point - I keep forgetting that people consider hardcore to be music.

April 23, 2010, 11:25:58 PM

An awful noisy amelodic racket. I fucking love it.

Take a peek at my signature, that should give everyone here a good indication of what I enjoy.

April 23, 2010, 11:35:48 PM

Hardcore Punk is definitely a form of music. Hardcore Punk brought about the birth of true thrash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se5-S2iSMS8

April 23, 2010, 11:57:39 PM