Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metalheads as multiculture

Metalheads as multiculture
April 25, 2006, 09:43:46 AM
Pluralism is a fact of life in our modern society, and it has resulted in a diversity of opinions on all topics to the point of balkanization. Our lifestyles and beliefs are so different that we comprise not one large culture, but uncountable smaller cultures which like galaxies in the universe are constantly moving apart at high rates of speed.

What used to be a "culture" is no longer a yardstick. America has split itself into "red" and "blue," showing how traditional values cannot coexist with cosmopolitan city values, but even greater divisions await. Some believe in mysticism, others science. The two cannot coexist because any society that wants to move forward must pick one and operate on that basis.

We are moving toward an age of specialized communities, whether localized or virtual, and what defines a "culture" - since ancestral culture is just about dead - is now defined by our choices and beliefs as a whole. Conservative Catholics are not just a religion, but a values system, and a lifestyle. Bourgeois bohemians are not only a political outlook, but a values system, and a lifestyle. "Culture" has been redefined to mean this lifestyle-values-politics axis.

At this juncture, it is time Hessians got represented. Heavy metal is the one form of music rock and rap have not been able to absorb. It is distinctive not just for its sound, because so many have cloned and modified that, but for its attitude. That attitude is born of values and a way of life specific to being a headbanger. And what is one who lives the headbanger lifestyle, finds the philosophy to agree with their own, and shares the values endorsed by the art? A separate culture: the Hessian culture.

http://www.hessian.org/

Doesn't seem likely to happen, and as this is an apolitica board, I cannot get into details, but consider this: the West at least is fragmenting as people become more obsessed with self-identity and meaning and less with function. The rest of us are trying to escape the delusion ones, who whether tripped out on heroin, Clinton, Jesus or hip-hop are a liability because they don't recognize reality. In this climate, the separation of a metal community is not so illogical...

The problem of course is that metal is a form of music, only; it's hard to find a subculture. Also, it seems to attract few for life, since after 30 or so it seems ludicrous to be wandering around impoverished wearing metal tshirts. So maybe it needs to grow, or maybe Hessian culture needs to become neoclassical/Romanticist culture in order for this to work.

Re: Metalheads as multiculture
April 25, 2006, 08:48:13 PM
i think it's a problem of trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  the subsection of metal that is performed and enjoyed by resonably intelligent people is VERY small, nowhere near representative.  taken as a whole, metal is for stoners, dropouts, and teenagers, NOT any sort of intellectual base that could set an agenda.  i'm afraid you are in the vast minority, man.  

so i guess you're correct in that it would have to morph into what you call neoclassical culture.  UGBM has grown so far from metal in aesthetic and values that it really can;t be lumped into the larger metal scene anyway.

April 25, 2006, 09:20:03 PM
Quite astute. Speaking for myself, being a metalhead, Hessian, headbanger, rivet-head, earthdog,etc. also means being a loner. I've always been the Outsider, as Lovecraft termed it. In the small city where I reside, there are approx. TWO die-hard Metal freaks; we both turn 40 this May, we both started with this music in the early-mid '70's, we are both drug and alcohol- free and we no of no others in this area who have completelty dedicated their lives to METAL. So I suppose we form a society of two everytime we are gathered... it's as it should be. 8)

April 25, 2006, 11:22:15 PM
So maybe it needs to grow, or maybe Hessian culture needs to become neoclassical/Romanticist culture in order for this to work.

Metal's roots extend back into the ancient world, even if the connection is simply these abstract ideals. Hessians are a culture, but they have yet to apply this beyond music and entertainment scenes.

The Harley Davidson biker type is more of a widely accepted valid culture. One immediate example of a group effort from them was a collective effort by bikers to have mandatory helmet laws overturned in the courts.

In a sense, it is almost comical to envision the metal community pulling together to legally assert the right to wear long hair in places of employment on the basis of creed and anti-discrimination. Many employers from construction labor to information technology do not make any issue out of employees with long hair as it is. There has to be something a little more broadly beneficial, with actual substance for lawyers to debate, like the forcing of helmets with questionable safety value upon all motorcycle riders.

What is it that binds the Hessian culture as a creed or identity aside from widely variable personal appearance?
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 25, 2006, 11:41:22 PM
some things that metalheads could do if they could get off their asses:

1.  fight censorship

2.  fight media monopolies

3.  fight environmental devestation

4.  fight homogenization of youth culture

just to name a few.  i realize that this would politicize metal in ways that some folks wouldn't want, but maybe the time has come.

April 26, 2006, 01:02:49 PM
point taken, i just listed those things because dude was wondering what the hell metalheads could do, as if we're invalids or something.

April 26, 2006, 03:29:52 PM
Ask what metalheads have done or are now doing as a collective creed. Invalids and homosexuals, as identifiable groups, have significantly greater power in society than metalheads. Metalheads would do well to consider this and work toward empowerment.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 26, 2006, 09:04:30 PM
Ask what metalheads have done or are now doing as a collective creed. Invalids and homosexuals, as identifiable groups, have significantly greater power in society than metalheads. Metalheads would do well to consider this and work toward empowerment.

Lupus hit the nail, allright.

Grouping intelligent metal heads as culture is like trying to reach the Shwarzschild radius, it just will not happen in an age where people just do not give a shit about exploration.

April 27, 2006, 12:55:08 PM
Needed for Hessian identity movement:

1) leader to create roles, spawn ideas and deligate activity
2) registered existing participants on external metal forums
3) gramatically competent, creative English author(s)
4) gramatically competent, creative other languages author(s)
5) other than or in addition to online activity participant (data: photographer, musician, lawyer, historian types)

All parties to be completely familiar with the ANUS affiliated project site, it's goal and preferred audience.

April 27, 2006, 01:20:34 PM
The word Bard is used in English and other Indo-Euopean languages chiefly to denote a Celtic poet (and musician). Musicians and poets comparable to the Celtic Bard have also been found in other cultures. Bards have greatly influenced the musical and general histories of their peoples, among the Celts they were mainly responsible for the development of secular music.

The Bard was a repository of histories, stories, legends, songs and poetry of his people. Wherever the bard travelled, he was honoured and given certain diplomatic impunity. Before the invention of the printing press, books and scribes were very costly, and recently news travelled very slowly and inaccurately. The bard, due to his education in oral tradition, could be relied upon to know the latest news from his court, whether crops had failed to the south, or which roads were safe to travel. For some villages and towns, the bard was the only reliable source of information.

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2662/bards.html

Hessians are today's bards. Due to the lack of accountability and accuracy in mass media information, Hessians are uniquely trusted with the validity of the oral and musical world view of the metalhead identity creed. Historically, this world view has been passed on from one generation to the next in the form of metal music, which includes concept, notes, riffs, harmony, lyrics, structure and overall ideal. Like daily prayer times for devout muslims around the world, the right to frequently commit this oral and musical tradition to memory shall not be infringed upon by any public or private entities or persons.

April 29, 2006, 08:03:39 AM
Also, it seems to attract few for life, since after 30 or so it seems ludicrous to be wandering around impoverished wearing metal tshirts.

However for those of us over 30 there are role models out there to follow still wearing metal tshirts like the guys in Motorhead and Black Sabbath. heck King Diamond and the guys in Venom are even getting up there in age!

There are already old hippies so why not old metalheads as well?!?!?!?!?

Annihilaytorr

May 06, 2006, 12:56:44 AM
"Heavy metal is the one form of music rock and rap have not been able to absorb."

You don't really believe this do you? This may be true of perhaps a few hundred bands ever to exist, but at any given time there are 345929405302 bands on metal archives. Most bands on the ANUS "best ever" lists have sold out and become essentially rock bands.

See Unique Leader, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Relapse, Earache et al for more details.

May 06, 2006, 07:07:53 AM
Heavy metal is the one form of music rock and rap have not been able to absorb."

Judging by the Judgement Night soundtrack of a few years ago this is false.  There were some pretty influential Heavy Metal acts (Slayer for instance) collaborating with rappers (like Ice-T).   Its debateable if Helmet and Biohazard are really Heavy Metal though.

It is interesting to note that this rap/rock stuff first started to come out in the early '90s, the same time Black Metal started to really take off in Norway... there is probably a connection in that the Black Metalheads were reacting against commercialized rap/rock (amongst other things like stave churches!  LOLL!)

It is more likely that certain Heavy Metal sub-genres (like BM) are unassimable by rappers and others in the mainstream.

TRACK LISTING

Just Another Victim - Helmet / House Of Pain
Fallin' - Teenage Fanclub / De La Soul
Me, Myself & My Microphone - Living Colour / Run DMC
Judgment Night - Biohazard / Onyx
Disorder - Slayer / Ice-T
Another Body Murdered - Faith No More / Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.
I Love You Mary Jane - Sonic Youth / Cypress Hill
Freak Momma - Mudhoney / Sir Mix-A-Lot
Missing Link - Dinosaur Jr / Del The Funky Homosapien
Come And Die - Therapy? / Fatal
Real Thing - Pearl Jam / Cypress Hill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_Night_(film)

Annihilaytorr

May 06, 2006, 11:09:45 AM
Cradle of Filth, Satyricon, Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir, Trapt, Nickleback, Kiss.

May 12, 2006, 06:12:03 PM
I think it's time we take the metal identity as a subculture and ram it down the throats of an idiot world. Every other group gets special treatment; let's see what we can get. Our ideals are different, from legalizing murder to indifference to some drug use to postmorality. We need our own areas within society, or our own society. The 2% of metalheads who aren't failures could come together on this one ;)