Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

40 year bore hole project may revise defunct assumptions

The thickness of the earth’s crust ranges from 50 miles in mountainous areas to just 6 miles beneath the ocean floor; the average around the world is 21 miles. The borehole, therefore, has already eaten its way through one-third of the earth’s surface.

In its descent, the drill has discovered fossilized microorganisms in the billion-year-old rocks at depths previously thought to have been barren of life. These fossils may well make scientists revise their opinions about early life on this planet.

http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences/an-amazing-journey-to-the-centre-of-the-world-investigating-the-world-below/

What we are for the moment taught are unquestionable facts can actually be subject to revision.

Obey, because science was used, is our modern political dogma.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

And our modern religion...

Three cheers for modernity!!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

The thickness of the earth’s crust ranges from 50 miles in mountainous areas to just 6 miles beneath the ocean floor; the average around the world is 21 miles. The borehole, therefore, has already eaten its way through one-third of the earth’s surface.

In its descent, the drill has discovered fossilized microorganisms in the billion-year-old rocks at depths previously thought to have been barren of life. These fossils may well make scientists revise their opinions about early life on this planet.

http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences/an-amazing-journey-to-the-centre-of-the-world-investigating-the-world-below/

What we are for the moment taught are unquestionable facts can actually be subject to revision.

I'm sorry, what "unquestionable facts" are you referring to?  All scientific theories are subject to revision when knew data arises, and that is something that is made perfectly clear.  Where is dogma in any of this?

Quote from: Conservationist
I've never understood people who try to turn science into a religion.  Doing so is completely antithetical to the tenants of science.

I'm sorry, what "unquestionable facts" are you referring to?  All scientific theories are subject to revision when knew data arises, and that is something that is made perfectly clear.  Where is dogma in any of this?

Quote from: Conservationist
I've never understood people who try to turn science into a religion.  Doing so is completely antithetical to the tenants of science.
I suppose the ascendancy of Skinner's psychology could be one example. Because of his work, whole generations of people were made to believe that human behavior had no natural basis.
Let us go beyond "you" and "me"! Feel cosmically!

Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm sorry, what "unquestionable facts" are you referring to?

Your first world lifestyle is causing global warming. Now pay your carbon taxes or poor people will suffer drought and flooding. Hater.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

I'm sorry, what "unquestionable facts" are you referring to?

Your first world lifestyle is causing global warming. Now pay your carbon taxes or poor people will suffer drought and flooding. Hater.
I see.  I think I misinterpreted your original post.  You're attacking the transformation of science into political dogma.  I thought you were making science itself out to be liberal dogma.  My bad.

Sir, correct.

I see.  I think I misinterpreted your original post.  You're attacking the transformation of science into political dogma.  I thought you were making science itself out to be liberal dogma.  My bad.

I don't think science or religion are dogmatic by nature. It's human nature (group psychology) that turns them into dogma.

Even if there wasn't much actual science. I've never seen much evidence to support the Blank Slate Theory of human development, but the next thing you know, it was a well-known fact and you're a Nazi if you contradict it (re: Steven Pinker).

Why such fervent support for blank slate theory? We need it to justify our belief in equality. Similar to how many Christians refuse to believe in evolution because it contradicts the bible.

Maybe that's just another fault of human nature: we tend to select views that support our already-held beliefs instead of the ones that make sense.

As powerful tools, science and religion are each methods. To what aims do we wield them? This is why the science and the religion purists, even if they are intelligent people, are defective in character due to their attachments.

One denies the other has great potential, but only if assigned the appropriate task. Example: validating information vs. motivating people.
They each assert they are the better method for attaining several of the other's goals. Although it can be used as such, a wrench isn't the best tool with which to drive a nail.

The same thing occurs in personal relations. The networking guy doesn't want computer programmers wiring up any of his computer networks. The teachers don't want educated janitors instructing their students. Break these customs and conflict occurs.

I'm sorry, but I'm completely failing to see any problem with the news article you've posted (or at least the quotes). What does this have to do with politics and when has science ever been about unquestionable facts (like someone said, this is completely antithetical to science)?

(like someone said, this is completely antithetical to science)?

No it's not.  Perhaps Scientists have forgotten this, but "Science" means "Knowledge".  Knowledge, I would assume, is Knowledge of Truth, rather than Belief (for which we have a different word, conveniently).

Knowledge =/= Truth

Knowledge = Observable properties of something
Truth = Essence of something

ie; I can measure a table to be 2 metres long = knowledge
The table exists at 2 metres long = Truth

Isn't it more like
1) The table is 2 meters long - reality
2) According to my measurement, the table is X meters long - knowledge
3) Knowledge describing reality correctly - truth?

Isn't it more like
1) The table is 2 meters long - reality
2) According to my measurement, the table is X meters long - knowledge
3) Knowledge describing reality correctly - truth?

I was literally about to write this.