Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Summoning - Depressive as hell

Summoning - Depressive as hell
April 27, 2010, 03:12:55 PM
I know Summoning has epic songs, they pass the feeling of endurance, lord of the rings, epic tales, etc. But another side to Summoning's music that speaks to me: It's depressing as hell. Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur made me actually feel sad, sometimes. I'm yet to listen to Stronghold and Let..., so I don't know if it's on all albums.

I read the thread when Protector posted here, he is a very average minded, calm guy. I don't know about the other musician. He spoke against some views that ANUS members held, what I mean by this is, he may favor modern society, but that's not what his songs say. Besides from a desire of transcendence, that the epic songs display, there is also a very sad, depressive feeling. This shows that there can be a lot more going on inside people's mind that we might think.

Re: Summoning - Depressive as hell
April 27, 2010, 11:51:13 PM
Summoning has started to sound really artificial and plastic to me lately, it's probably the production. This means all material (barring Lugburz). I don't think I dislike them fully, as there's still a decent spirit if you get past it. New stuff is full of Pantera riffs though!

April 28, 2010, 12:02:16 AM
Depressive... or nostalgia? Maybe the passing of years will reveal the distinction.

April 28, 2010, 12:21:31 AM
I can see how some may find it depressing, certain moods they pack into their songs affect some differently than others. To me personnally this music brings up alot of good emotions, it reminds me of reflecting back on great memories, things like that.

April 28, 2010, 07:32:31 PM
When I first heard Oath Bound when it first came out, I hated it, periodically tried to put it on, and eventually didn't listen to it for two years until this morning. It's actually a great album; I think listening to more ambient and medieval music opened my mind up to them.

I really can't say I find it particularly depressive. There's a definite element of nostalgia in it, but overall I'd say that at least that album has an almost triumphant, elated feeling. I haven't heard the rest of their catalogue but I'm very interested in hearing it now.

April 29, 2010, 01:21:51 AM
Is Summoning emo hipster garbage or not? I'd really like to know since trash day's tomorrow and I don't want these CDs "depressing" my garbage cans for week.

April 29, 2010, 03:39:33 AM
Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur made me actually feel sad, sometimes. I'm yet to listen to Stronghold and Let..., so I don't know if it's on all albums.
If any of their albums are mournful, it's definitely Stronghold. Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame is too DnD-ish to really carry much emotional weight.

This shows that there can be a lot more going on inside people's minds than they might think.
Fix'd.

April 30, 2010, 12:51:25 AM
Summoning isn't really depressive, but actually just slightly melancholic. I agree with Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame being quite "happy" in comparison to their previous works. 

April 30, 2010, 09:52:28 PM
Music can be both depressive and beautiful. Depressive suicidal black metal (or whatever it's called these days) manages to be exactly that - depressive and not inspirational in the slightest. Summoning is one of the few metal bands that pull off having a depressive sound and succeeding in inspiring the listener. Skepticism is another, I haven't found too many others.

May 01, 2010, 05:25:43 AM
Music can be both depressive and beautiful. Depressive suicidal black metal (or whatever it's called these days) manages to be exactly that - depressive and not inspirational in the slightest. Summoning is one of the few metal bands that pull off having a depressive sound and succeeding in inspiring the listener. Skepticism is another, I haven't found too many others.

Ras Algethi

That is all.

May 02, 2010, 05:17:37 AM
Summoning isn't really depressive, but actually just slightly melancholic.

Very true. They're also highly repetitive in that they use very similar approaches to melody. Their greatest was probably Dol Guldur and often the other stuff becomes pale in comparison.

SSS

November 02, 2011, 03:56:37 PM
What the topicstarter meant, was that some Summoning songs have a sad (depressive, miserable) feeling in them. I agree with this statement.

Best, inspired, thoughtful and valuable albums of Summoning are: Lugburz, Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, and Nightshade Forests.

Some songs have an overall sad mood: Morthond, Khazad Dum, Wyrmvater Glaurung
Some songs have a 'nostalgic' feel in them (even if the term sounds absurdist): Flight of the Nazgul, The Passing of the Grey Company, The Legend of The Master-Ring, Kortirion Among the Trees
And most songs have an epic grandeur journey feeling: Through The Valley Of The Frozen Kingdom, Lugburz, Nightshade Forests, and the rest.

Strong sense of melody, intuitive compositional skill, work on structure, and first of all having concept (ancient, fantastic) in mind - are factors for which Summoning will remain forever one of metal's top achievements.

November 02, 2011, 09:47:46 PM
I can't agree with this. More poigant than sad. Nostalgic, sometimes solemn, but not sad.

November 03, 2011, 04:08:51 PM
whatever I've heard from them (Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, Nightshade Forests) are varied in their approach but never seem to suggest anything "depressive as hell". Nightshade Forests is a real gem out of the three.

November 04, 2011, 01:54:34 AM
It is possible for music to evoke multiple emotional states simultaneously and this certainly applies to Summoning. I think their albums became more epic over time and the highpoints got even higher, but with fewer on each album i.e. the last three albums could have been consolidated into one brilliant album.