Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? Riffs

April 28, 2010, 06:00:39 AM
New stuff is full of ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? riffs though!

Early on, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? ripped off Judas Priest a lot. That makes it difficult to avoid possible comparison to "ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? riffs" anywhere you go in metal, however "obscura".

Mostly, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? are known as image-heavy, idiotic constructors of songs lacking even minor contribution to the values and architecture of the genre - we don't mind the riffs.

April 28, 2010, 11:59:09 PM
we don't mind the riffs.
Can someone confirm - official back-flip or personal opinion?

April 29, 2010, 02:30:40 AM
we don't mind the riffs.

I'm guessing personal opinion.

I actually liked the guitar tone on "Cowboys From Hell". Very chunky, seems like it would be great for thrash or grindcore.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 29, 2010, 03:22:29 AM
Yeah, but for me that's still quite a way from liking the actual riffs.

I mainly added the facetious ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? quip in because in a few cases I've seen ANUS reviews bash a band because they sound like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? (even if that couldn't be further from the truth). I think there was an At The Gates thread along these lines somewhere.

How come there isn't a word filter on ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, yet there is for certain other well-hated bands that start with O?

April 29, 2010, 03:28:57 AM
That would lead to a Chuck and Daryl sodomy for weed special report, the AIDS aftermath, the investigative fanboy journalist vendetta leading to murder and whatever else. Very messy.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 29, 2010, 05:57:29 AM
we don't mind the riffs.

Despite me using the pluralis maiestatis in the last post, possibly in misjudgement, it should go without saying that it's a personal view and observation. For the genealogy of ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? riffs (what a stupid research), see Exhorder, Prong, Anthrax, Agnostic Front etc.

I don't think we have mentioned ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? enough times on Deathmetal.Org, the only site I can represent "officially", for anything I say to constitute a back-flip.

April 29, 2010, 08:43:14 AM
Minor detail; but Razor might fit on your list too.

Re: ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? Riffs
April 29, 2010, 06:05:20 PM
Excellent word filter for P-a-n-t-e-r-a, mods. I had one hell of a laugh.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 29, 2010, 08:58:17 PM
^ I like it as well! It immediately conjurs every puffed up, be-mulleted, 90IQ, inebriated, tough-guy metal fan in creation!

April 30, 2010, 12:34:19 AM
Perfect. It conjures a former life for the first time ever cringing with dread at the verse (or was it chorus line?) as numetal was birthed and intinctively grasping for volume control when in horror none was to be found.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 30, 2010, 03:28:32 AM
It might even be contagious. Metallica used the same line on Load, if I remember right.

April 30, 2010, 07:05:33 AM
Yeah, but for me that's still quite a way from liking the actual riffs.

I mainly added the facetious ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? quip in because in a few cases I've seen ANUS reviews bash a band because they sound like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? (even if that couldn't be further from the truth). I think there was an At The Gates thread along these lines somewhere.

How come there isn't a word filter on ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, yet there is for certain other well-hated bands that start with O?

Who is the band that begins with O? I instantly thought of Obituary, but I guess I'll know as soon as this post is viewable.

I don't think this thread is ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? apologism but moreso an exercise in elemental selectiveness. You can remove a good member from a band and view them as having lightyears of potential. Dimebag Darrel definately carried that band on his back for years. Every other member was a useless, lying, changing, chameleon drug addict. Without him, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? might as well have been Nu-Metal. At the end of the day though, Darrel still lacked a supporting cast of musicians to realize anything of value, and opted for the paycheck in exchange for integrity.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

April 30, 2010, 07:54:09 AM
O-p-e-t-h

Great word filter btw!

May 02, 2010, 05:16:49 AM

ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? represents the populist side of metal. They took what Metallica, Prong, and Exhorder were doing and made a synthesis of it that got popular with "Cemetery Gates." In contrast to the metal of the time, that music was very angsty, existential and personal -- it was the opposite of metal, which was melancholic, assertive and impersonal.

If you look at Slaughter of the Soul, it's a similar approach -- and musically, is quite similar, although the technique used isn't as chunky. It's still the same approach to melody and song structure...

May 02, 2010, 07:48:28 PM
In contrast to the metal of the time, that music was very angsty, existential and personal -- it was the opposite of metal, which was melancholic, assertive and impersonal.

Oddly enough, the most impersonal metal has a tendency to effect me on an extremely personal level, if that makes any sense. I find most joy and happiness in the adoration of objects and concepts separate and alien to myself. It gives me the sense that the world is more spacious than a mere microcosm, which is what most of those ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? fans never have the fortune of realizing.

Angst is wholly unwelcome by me because it offsets the brain chemistry and negatively effects decision making.

The musings of existentialism is only going to give you a sense of duty to distract the mind mind from your preexisting human flaws that can be fixed by simply MANing up to the challenge with nihilism.

It's no wonder these conformist metal personalities have so many problems. They fear the world around them so very much that they spend so much time as unhealthy introverts that they're probably CREATING problems for themselves. A sitting of Siddhartha's teachings could essentially cure all of these ailments, but I think they don't want to be cured. They're so in love with themselves, and happily curled up in their microcosmic ovums in which no outside influence will ever get though their hardened exterior temple walls without hearing the phrase, "ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?."
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH