Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Gulf oil leak turning into major catastrophe

Do BP, USgov and UNgov have what it takes to save Almighty Humanity? Stay tuned.

The challenge of the leak mitigators now is to plug a hole, which may be surrounded by debris from the sunken rig, at pressures reported to be north of 20,000 PSI, sitting under 5000 feet of sea water. They can't use divers to even assist in the process at that depth. Further, 5000' is only the beginning. If the leak cannot be stopped at the seabed well head under those unbelievably difficult circumstances, they may have to drill down an additional 30,000' to plug the well from the bottom. There is no certainty that this can be done and even if it can be done, it may take an extraordinary amount of time. They're currently talking months, but we must assume that any public pronouncements at this point in time tend to the optimistic.

Now, let's look at the leak volume estimates. I believe they started with estimates of 1000 gallons per hour, then it went to 5000, then - according to some sources - 20,000 and I've recently seen estimates of 200,000. I have no more clue than anyone reading this post, but my scientifically impeccable methodology comes up with the precise figure of, er, uhhhhm... a lot!

But it all gets better...or, actually, worse. You see, no one knows with any certainty how large this oil reservoir is. It could slow and stop in a week or so, or it may, in practical terms, never stop.

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101579

It looks like modern capitalist society might have to start dealing with something they've always ignored: consequence to human actions.

...Nah, just kidding, they'll probably ignore it.

EDIT: Really though, it looks like the gulf might be fucked up beyond our worst imagination.

Maybe my sense of scale is way off but it seems like draining all these deep earth pockets containing thick high pressure fluids would leave lower density pockets as the oil drilling runs dry. Rock would collapse back in to fill the pocket. Wouldn't this cause some marginal tectonic instability that resonates across and between plates? We just had a couple of serious earthquakes and then two volcanoes.

Maybe my sense of scale is way off but it seems like draining all these deep earth pockets containing thick high pressure fluids would leave lower density pockets as the oil drilling runs dry. Rock would collapse back in to fill the pocket. Wouldn't this cause some marginal tectonic instability that resonates across and between plates? We just had a couple of serious earthquakes and then two volcanoes.

I believe that the volcanoes in Iceland (at least the 2 erupting now) were caused by hotspots, not tectonics. I may be misinformed though. Can't comment on the earthquakes, you're theory doesn't seem very plausible but I have no idea how large the pockets containing the oil are. Collapse of American (possibly worldwide) industrial society seems more real than ever.

That this even happened indicates we are taking greater risks to access sources of petrol. 30000+ feet is not an easy source to tap into, but someone thought it was worthwhile to pursue.

HAVE TO get our fix, you know.

Most American's are aware of this environmental disaster, yet the only response I seem to hear is the pouring outrage of gas prices forthcoming. Most are hardly concerned I feel...

Hell, even our liberal satirists Colbert and Stewart are garnering a good chuckle out of it. I mean, why take it to heart? Its only a bunch of silly old marine life that are going to suffocate from lack of oxygen in the water...  We should put Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert in a tank of sweet crude. At least we wouldn't have morons developing political opinions from pop satirists any longer.

It looks like modern capitalist society might have to start dealing with something they've always ignored: consequence to human actions.

...Nah, just kidding, they'll probably ignore it.

EDIT: Really though, it looks like the gulf might be fucked up beyond our worst imagination.

Don't be so sure about that first part.  The supposed champions of the U.S. offer the following sentiments with regards to man-made disasters:

Why not feel Sorry for BP?

Why not feel Sorry for Exxon?

Accidents happen, but come on - these guys just don't give a shit.  In their mind a few human lives lost as a result of error is nothing short of bedlam while the long lasting ecological effects of what those corpses were up to isn't of any concern.