Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Insanity

Insanity
May 04, 2010, 07:18:49 AM
The way I see it insanity has to do with an inability to adapt constructive behavioral patterns.  This can occur for three main reasons.

1 : Perceptions are inaccurate (schizophrenics)

2 : Conclusions drawn from perceptions are inaccurate (Liberals)

3 : Conscious decision to act in contradiction with accurate perceptions and conclusions (Losers)

The last one is especially common on the internet, and basically applies to anyone who is aware of their responsibilities but refuses to live up to them because of immaturity.  It is also the least excusable form of insanity because these people are aware of their failure but refuse to do anything about it.

Re: Insanity
May 04, 2010, 11:21:09 AM
Those are all cognitive patterns, not behavioural. Ironically you've ignored major behavioural patterns which can be classified as "insanity" (personality disorders, mental retardation, autism, many anxiety disorders).

Insanity is more or less just a euphemism for "people who I don't like or make me feel uncomfortable" anyway, as evident from your #3.

May 04, 2010, 01:32:54 PM
3 : Conscious decision to act in contradiction with accurate perceptions and conclusions (Losers)=
Ha ha, I'm an insane loser!

May 04, 2010, 01:41:43 PM
I understand the importance of this kind of discussion, but aren't you guys tired of this incessant bullshit about why everyone and everything in this world is fucked up? We don't need to whine anymore about why liberals (and just about everyone else) have lost touch with the world and are seeing and talking out there own asses. It's been established, now let's put it aside, remember it's there, and move onto positive behavior.

Let's show them the world instead. Over 5,000 gallons of crude oil are pouring into the ocean every day right now, we're running out of resources to sustain the human population, and all most people do is hide away in their own small, transient lives and ignore it. We know it's this kind of misinterpretation of reality that has caused all of these problems for us. So, we can seek out effective solutions to these problems, try and work with people and make them understand the symptoms, causes, and possible solutions to their problems, OR we can sit on the internet and talk about how stupid all the "defectives" are and how we want to kill them all. The former might reduce, even by a small amount, the amount of damage we're doing to this world and leave it in a habitable state, or at least give us a chance for one. The latter means accepting defeat and whining in our own little corner of false reality.

I'm not trying to blame anyone for the way things seem to have ended up on this site, its understandable, just about everyone is guilty of it, and looking forward is far more important right now. Let's stop this from being a e-social arms race for whose the most elite, enlightened, smart, etc, and turn it into an effective vessel for making changes.

NHA

May 05, 2010, 03:20:25 AM
Pro tips for discussing politics:

- Always be sure to Jump to conclusions - the first few steps of a chain that would imply a result are all you need.
- Display intellectual arrogance regardless of your depth of knowledge in a field
- Cite outside references - ones that are only vaguely related to the subject at hand yet sound profound. Bonus points for eastern sources since they're exotic.
- Regardless of what is actually being said, identify the topic as a known or popularly reoccuring argument from a rival ideology and refute it accordingly.
- Reinterpret your opponents examples so they're wrong or make no sense based on the context you're switching to. Avoid the essence of the example at all costs!
- Your opponent is out of touch with reality. Always. Construct new abstract layers of reality that your opponent can be wrong in as well.
- When discussing things with an audience of "normals" (properly socialized people in western countries) claim your opponent is somehow racist.
- Blame the Jews or the white man.
- If someone mentions Communism quickly tell them "It doesn't work". Avoid elaborating.
- If someone mentions Fascism tell them "People like you disgust me". Don't forget only uncultured trailer trash subscribe to such ridiculous ideologies (unlike well educated scholars such as yourself).
- Remember: 4 years of binge drinking in college counts as being well educated. Honest.
- Use the word "reality" a lot.
- "Freedom" too.
- The more words that come out of your mouth the better. Just make sure they don't really say or prove anything.
- Claim subjective or cultural bias by your opponent.
- Defeat Progressivists: use highly romanticized nostalgia to suggest things were better in the past.
- Claim your opponents views aren't in line with how things work in Nature.
- Never forget doomsday is always lurking around the corner. Always! goddamnit.
- Claim your opponent lacks Faith therefore he can never understand.
- "Well... like... that's just your opinion, man."
- Use economics. No one really understands the intricacies of it, nor would they ever want to.  Your opponent will fall asleep the second its mentioned - a great way to side step any rebuttal.

May 05, 2010, 03:44:41 AM
Pro tips for discussing politics:

- Always be sure to Jump to conclusions - the first few steps of a chain that would imply a result are all you need.
- Display intellectual arrogance regardless of your depth of knowledge in a field
- Cite outside references - ones that are only vaguely related to the subject at hand yet sound profound. Bonus points for eastern sources since they're exotic.
- Regardless of what is actually being said, identify the topic as a known or popularly reoccuring argument from a rival ideology and refute it accordingly.
- Reinterpret your opponents examples so they're wrong or make no sense based on the context you're switching to. Avoid the essence of the example at all costs!
- Your opponent is out of touch with reality. Always. Construct new abstract layers of reality that your opponent can be wrong in as well.
- When discussing things with an audience of "normals" (properly socialized people in western countries) claim your opponent is somehow racist.
- Blame the Jews or the white man.
- If someone mentions Communism quickly tell them "It doesn't work". Avoid elaborating.
- If someone mentions Fascism tell them "People like you disgust me". Don't forget only uncultured trailer trash subscribe to such ridiculous ideologies (unlike well educated scholars such as yourself).
- Remember: 4 years of binge drinking in college counts as being well educated. Honest.
- Use the word "reality" a lot.
- "Freedom" too.
- The more words that come out of your mouth the better. Just make sure they don't really say or prove anything.
- Claim subjective or cultural bias by your opponent.
- Defeat Progressivists: use highly romanticized nostalgia to suggest things were better in the past.
- Claim your opponents views aren't in line with how things work in Nature.
- Never forget doomsday is always lurking around the corner. Always! goddamnit.
- Claim your opponent lacks Faith therefore he can never understand.
- "Well... like... that's just your opinion, man."
- Use economics. No one really understands the intricacies of it, nor would they ever want to.  Your opponent will fall asleep the second its mentioned - a great way to side step any rebuttal.

Funny, but all of these also seem like passive-aggressive tactics of side-stepping an argument. Don't like what someone is saying? Accuse them of something on this list and then laugh at how superior you are for knowing "the list"! Works great every-time.

NHA

May 05, 2010, 04:08:15 AM
Accuse someone of accusing someone of using the list to accuse someone of using the list to accuse someone of...

noU?

no U!

May 05, 2010, 08:16:55 AM

This is happening in England, right now.  Conservatives say "let's settle down and take time to re-establish ourselves financially"; Labour says "No, that would RUIN CHANCES OF RECOVERY, we need to MAKE MORE MONEY NOW".

I sometimes wonder whether Gordon Brown, in all his wisdom and intelligence as former Chancellor of the Exchequer, has actually ever "studied" Economics in the slightest, as he seems to overlook some rather rudimentary aspects of money.  But then, I suppose all "Economists" do.

May 05, 2010, 12:37:31 PM
Insanity or crazy is abnormal mental or behavioral patterns. How we identified?

May 05, 2010, 04:51:19 PM
I understand the importance of this kind of discussion, but aren't you guys tired of this incessant bullshit about why everyone and everything in this world is fucked up?

Yes, but that's not what I see going on here often.

Idiots turn critique into complaining. So do low self-esteem people who want to participate but have no clue how. I advocate tolerance because some of them later grow into contributing, good people. We've seen it here a million times before. You remember of course that this forum is the continuation of one that started in 1997? Indeed.

I don't have a sense the world is fucked up. I have a sense that modernism is a failure, and is causing our civilization to die, so all of us here are rallying to get a clear view of the problem and the solutions we desire, and we're then going to go implement them.

That implementing may be local, should involve taking care of your family IN ADDITION TO other actions, can be done from within the system while being prosperous, and so on -- but it needs to be done. Anything else is cowardice and can munch down the proverbial bowl of tasty dicks (w/ swinging hairy balls).