Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Identical Twins and Homosexuality

May 05, 2010, 07:29:34 PM
Quote from: Conservationist
No two things in nature are equal.
Not even identical twins, it turns out.  They can vary in their epigenetic systems, which can alter things like hormone levels.  Hence, why there are cases of identical twins where one is homosexual and the other heterosexual.

May 05, 2010, 09:07:10 PM
Not even identical twins, it turns out.  They can vary in their epigenetic systems, which can alter things like hormone levels.  Hence, why there are cases of identical twins where one is homosexual and the other heterosexual.

Alternately, "homosexuality" may be just be a behavior with all the complexities and imponderables that implies, rather than a single, genetically fixed trait.

May 05, 2010, 09:46:26 PM

Alternately, "homosexuality" may be just be a behavior with all the complexities and imponderables that implies, rather than a single, genetically fixed trait.
Well, behaviors are determined biologically, which is largely determined by our genetics.  The fact that more than one genetic trait plays into a person's sexual "blue print" is to be expected.

I also have a reflexive disgust for the butt-fucking is just a behavior hypothesis, because I associate that belief with radical feminism and religious wackos.

Sorry if this is derailing the topic.

Re: Identical Twins and Homosexuality
May 05, 2010, 10:23:38 PM
That is crazy.  There are 2 twins in my programming class, I always suspected one being homosexual with his mannerisms and is one of the reasons I can tell the difference between the two.  cool guys nonetheless, they are always together though which is weird but common among twins, I guess

May 06, 2010, 01:01:30 AM
That is crazy.  There are 2 twins in my programming class, I always suspected one being homosexual with his mannerisms and is one of the reasons I can tell the difference between the two.  cool guys nonetheless, they are always together though which is weird but common among twins, I guess

Well think about it. Twins are probably even closer than other siblings, simply because you grow up together at exactly the same rate. You could also experience the same things (puberty, learning to read, tying your shoes) at the same time. You have someone you can relate to about everything. That's not common at all.

May 06, 2010, 03:19:36 AM
Yeah, it is common, but it seems they depend to much on each other; a crutch, though It is fascinating to hear them figure out problems together in a way I have never seen between two regular people.

May 06, 2010, 04:13:00 AM
Not even identical twins, it turns out.  They can vary in their epigenetic systems, which can alter things like hormone levels.  Hence, why there are cases of identical twins where one is homosexual and the other heterosexual.

is the word "equal" being presented as a synonym for "congruence" here or are you alleging a disparity between the relative values of sexuality?  

May 06, 2010, 01:12:00 PM
Not even identical twins, it turns out.  They can vary in their epigenetic systems, which can alter things like hormone levels.  Hence, why there are cases of identical twins where one is homosexual and the other heterosexual.

is the word "equal" being presented as a synonym for "congruence" here or are you alleging a disparity between the relative values of sexuality?  
This topic was split from Conservationist's topic on equality.  The inequality is derived from the differences in epigenetic systems.  I was just using sexual orientation as an example of how twins can be different.  So, yes, equality is simply conguence.  I make no value judgments about homosexuality.  Other forms of sexuality (e.g. pederasty) I would, though.

May 06, 2010, 04:14:03 PM

Interesting. I support the view of homosexuality as having multiple causes:

• Sexual abuse.
  • Biological, correlates highly with congenital diseases.
  • Epigenetic hormone levels as mentioned above
  • Emotional state of mother during pregnancy (similar to autism)

It's one of the many reasons I think sodomy should be legal, but gay marriage is a dumb idea -- for gays.

May 06, 2010, 07:12:45 PM
I support the view of homosexuality as having multiple causes
This would seem to be the case, especially considering that homosexuality can manifest itself in different ways.  Compare normal gay men to raging, effeminate, sex obsessed, drug addicted, emotionally dead, psychologically disturbed gay men.

I think sodomy should be legal, but gay marriage is a dumb idea
RACITS!!!!

Trauco

May 06, 2010, 08:23:17 PM
On an interesting side note, it says on the german wikipedia site (and this is something that is also  mentioned on a couple of books) that the two male grandsons of Goethe, both of them brothers, were homosexual. What are the odds of that? Needless to say they didn't leave any issue, and their only sibling, a girl, died at a very young age.  

A peculiar case, which at the same time gives one piece of evidence for a little theory that I have: that, while talent is undoubtedly hereditary, genius is not, and after concentrating itself on a single individual, the rest of his lineage tends to annihilate itself afterwards.

May 06, 2010, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: Trauco
A peculiar case, which at the same time gives one piece of evidence for a little theory that I have: that, while talent is undoubtedly hereditary, genius is not, and after concentrating itself on a single individual, the rest of his lineage tends to annihilate itself afterwards.
There may be reason to believe that genius is not part of the the normal continuum of human intelligence, but is instead an anomalous genetic occurence, like mental retardation.

May 06, 2010, 08:38:36 PM
On an interesting side note, it says on the german wikipedia site (and this is something that is also mentioned on a couple of books) that the two male grandsons of Goethe, both of them brothers, were homosexual. What are the odds of that? Needless to say they didn't leave any issue, and their only sibling, a girl, died at a very young age. 

that's interesting.  what is the actual proof used to establish their homosexuality?

May 06, 2010, 09:03:35 PM
It's one of the many reasons I think sodomy should be legal, but gay marriage is a dumb idea -- for gays.

Not to probe or anything, but what would you view as a positive alternative solution to "marriage"?