Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Faces of our ancestors

Faces of our ancestors
May 07, 2010, 03:52:48 PM
Brilliant mockup:

http://news.discovery.com/human/early-human-ancestors-faces.html

Homo ergaster resembles many modern Africans;
Homo floriensis resembles many modern Asians;
Homo sapiens has been muddled for political purposes ;)

Interestingly, many others are split on Ergaster -- while clearly different, it could interbreed with modern humans and didn't qualify as a separate species:

In short, H. ergaster does not show significant promise of lasting as a separate taxon due to several factors. It has not been shown to be significantly different from erectus to require the designation of a new hominid species, and it has not been shown to be closer to modern humans morphologically as has been claimed by some. At this time, ergaster  basically means early H. erectus from Africa.

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homoergaster.htm

Still they managed this list of distinguishing traits:

# Increased cranial breadth across the parietal bones.
# Increased occipital bone length.
# Broader nasal bones.
# Broader nasal opening.
# Shorter cranial base.
# Greater development of the mandibular symphysis.
# Narrower M1s and lower canines.

Homo Heidelbergensis may be the ancestor of all European-derived populations:

Homo antecessor is likely a direct ancestor living 750,000 years ago evolving into Homo heidelbergensis appearing in the fossil record living roughly 600,000 to 250,000 years ago through various areas of Europe. Homo heidelbergensis remains were found in Mauer near Heidelberg, Germany and then later in Arago, France and Petralona, Greece.

The best evidence found for these hominins date between 400,000 and 500,000 years ago. H. heidelbergensis stone tool technology was considerably close to that of the Acheulean tools used by Homo erectus.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/h/homo_heidelbergensis.htm

Possibly modern European humanity developed in the span between France and Germany, including the disputed territories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean_theory

Re: Faces of our ancestors
May 07, 2010, 05:14:39 PM
What about Homo Neanderthalensis?  To me, that is the face of an unquestionably European man.

May 07, 2010, 05:31:40 PM
Hmm, I don't see any Jewish looking ones.  Could it be that we are the spawn of Satan?

May 07, 2010, 07:34:12 PM
See here, toward the bottom:

http://carnby.altervista.org/troe/troephotos.htm

Jewish genetics is a fairly fascinating subject in its own right.

May 07, 2010, 08:40:30 PM
See here, toward the bottom:

http://carnby.altervista.org/troe/troephotos.htm

Jewish genetics is a fairly fascinating subject in its own right.
Ha.  I was just kidding around, but thanks for the great link.  Racially, I'm undoubtedly European, as I'm a combo of mixed European lineage and Ashkenazi Jew.

May 07, 2010, 11:34:22 PM
I'm undoubtedly European, as I'm a combo of mixed European lineage and Ashkenazi Jew.

Coon carefully makes the point that modern Jews are essentially European with tinges of Semite.

I think it's an impressive book; that most people have no idea it exists because of one word in the title is really dense.

May 08, 2010, 12:46:18 AM
I was very please to see a Basque there. Well I have always been fascinated by the Basques.

May 08, 2010, 12:53:45 AM
Speaking of self I have black hair with very blue eyes.  I am looking at the sight just to see where I would fit in. Since my families are from Sicily, France, and South Italy, there is a combo in effect here.

May 08, 2010, 02:17:43 PM
I'm undoubtedly European, as I'm a combo of mixed European lineage and Ashkenazi Jew.

Coon carefully makes the point that modern Jews are essentially European with tinges of Semite.

I think it's an impressive book; that most people have no idea it exists because of one word in the title is really dense.

From what I hear from modern genetics research, the conclusion is quite opposite: Jews are Semite with tinges of European.
I don't know whom to believe as science these days is very much for sale for the highest bidder, and what we get from the past has its own un-science-y bias.  

Why did modern research reject Coon's findings anyway? Can somebody please illuminate this issue?
From what I remember he was claiming something about race mixing with the Neanderthals.  

May 08, 2010, 03:47:31 PM
Quote from: Sundown
Why did modern research reject Coon's findings anyway?
The rise of politically correct "science" would be one major factor.  The adoption of such insane ideas as the blank-slate theory of human mind and other denials of human nature made this type of research almost impossible to pursue, let alone have the findings published or heard.

May 09, 2010, 06:03:57 AM

From what I hear from modern genetics research, the conclusion is quite opposite: Jews are Semite with tinges of European.

Calling Jews "essentially European" is intellectually dishonest, although the Ashkenazi definitely have a large proportion of Euro blood. There's also the possibility that the people who lived in the area of modern Israel were far more European in phenotype 2000+ years ago. Many Lebanese today are basically "white", and the Phoenicians were supposedly pretty pale.

May 09, 2010, 06:27:22 AM

Calling Jews "essentially European" is intellectually dishonest, although the Ashkenazi definitely have a large proportion of Euro blood. There's also the possibility that the people who lived in the area of modern Israel were far more European in phenotype 2000+ years ago. Many Lebanese today are basically "white", and the Phoenicians were supposedly pretty pale.

Ashkenazy Jews are basically a crazy mix - basic jewish genetics that had undergone european enviromental selection, jewish societal selection, and a drift of european genes through rapes (which usually occured during pogroms). However, the jewish origins may not be as closely tied to the Phonecians as the lebanese and serian.
It is an interesting quesion, how many years of natural selection does it take to creat a new race, make two races converege etc.