People interpret forms of music and their historical foundations differently. A traditional Hessian or Metalhead should be disturbed by some of the modern interpretations of Metal. Outsiders to the genre and new-school Metal people (nu-Metal, indie Metal, hipster Metal, Metalcore) have a distorted picture of what Metal music truly is. The following list corresponds to some misinterpretations of Metal and Metal culture that the aforementioned groups have.
What Metal is not
- An excuse to drop out of life or society
- A party
- The expression of thought of a specific ideology or school of thought
These are some of the alarming misinterpretations of Metal that can be observed in this age. The worst bands and their fans, and even some fans of bands that we would consider of a high standard, are charachterized by these inaccurate interpretations of Metal.
Looking at this list, we are pressed with the question, "What is Metal?". I will offer a few answers to this question.
What Metal is
- An expression of serious spiritual and philosophical thought
- In some cases, a form of ativism, in that it originates from reactivated ideas and genes
- In some cases, a response to, rather than an reaction against, Christianity and the state of modernity
EDIT: I'd also like to mention something else, which is that Metal is not a fashion statement. This flies in the face of the perceptions of people that get into Metal because they like wearing interesting t-shirts and jackets with patches on them. This is something that most of you probably know, but I'd like to point it out, because it is another alarming interpretation that some have of Metal.