Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What Metal is not

Re: What Metal is not
May 16, 2010, 04:36:47 PM
Why are people so against Death Metal and Thrash in favor of Black Metal because it's more spiritual (I'm not singling out anybody)? Could it be that these people are unwilling to face tangible realities and would rather hear to hear the often (but not always) fantastical Black Metal? I wouldn't be surprised if these are the same kind of Hessians who disparage hardcore punk music.

You make a good point here.  It reminds me that I need to be more diligent in further developing the "death metal aspect" of my psyche, rather than only improving already established strengths and ignoring weaknesses.

May 16, 2010, 05:08:42 PM
Just to be clear: when I am describing what Metal is not, I'm talking about the philosophy of Metal, rather than the social lives of Metal musicians and fans. Also, I'm not saying that drinking and blowing off a little steam every now and then is a bad thing, I'm just making the point that partying is not what philosophy of Metal is about.

May 18, 2010, 12:06:50 AM
You make a great point about Metal being a party. And  that is why it goes without saying, when we the Anus members post on other boards, they perceive us "elite"  and the like. For them Metal is about drinking, and not thinking about the deeper sense of it. I always tell others I listen to Metal for a higher purpose.

May 19, 2010, 06:15:27 AM
You make a great point about Metal being a party. And  that is why it goes without saying, when we the Anus members post on other boards, they perceive us "elite"  and the like. For them Metal is about drinking, and not thinking about the deeper sense of it. I always tell others I listen to Metal for a higher purpose.

What a perfect statement!

There's an incalculable number of releases that require a somewhat adequate attention dexterity to follow the narrative structure of riff-based Metal and not polished ear-candy.

Some of these releases that hold an elated form of this magic are the following (from what I can tell anyway- most of them are unrelated genre-wise)

UNLEASHED- "Where No Life Dwells"
ENSLAVED- "Frost"
DEICIDE- "Legion"
ATHEIST- "Piece of Time"
GRAVELAND- "Thousand Swords"
SLAYER- "Hell Awaits"
SENTENCED- "North From Here"
DEMILICH- "Nespithe"
IMPALED NAZARENE- "Ugra-Karma"
NECROPHOBIC- "The Nocturnal Silence"
NOCTURNUS- "The Key"
BLACK SABBATH- "Master of Reality"
MORBID ANGEL- "Altars of Madness" - this is probably the best exercise in the mastery of Riff-based Metal (that's an opinion anyway).

May 21, 2010, 03:29:17 AM
Metal is not classical.

May 23, 2010, 08:30:47 PM
Metal is not a trend.

May 23, 2010, 09:09:03 PM
Metal is hipsters.

May 23, 2010, 11:08:07 PM
Metal is food.

May 24, 2010, 03:45:03 AM
Metal is dildoes.

Also, Metalocalypse is not metal.

May 25, 2010, 08:40:41 PM
Metal is not lefty uncle marxie social issues, not girlie twee, not toony anime, and is never, ever sorry.

May 25, 2010, 08:49:25 PM
Metal is not anything that is not equal to Metal.

It's called the law of non-contradiction.

End Thread

May 31, 2010, 06:44:47 PM
Metal is not anything that is not equal to Metal.

It's called the law of non-contradiction.

End Thread

What I said about the philosophy of Metal also addresses strands of thought that have been brought into Metal culture by outsiders.

June 01, 2010, 03:24:26 PM
What I said about the philosophy of Metal also addresses strands of thought that have been brought into Metal culture by outsiders.

Metal is Romanticism, transcendentalism, realism, syncretism and idealism.

Everything else is humanism, materialism, "mystic dualism" and linear-negative thinking.

The two are incompatible. I would do anything to live in a society of the former.

June 02, 2010, 12:26:01 AM
I'm confused of you guys I don't know where to take a side.

June 02, 2010, 12:56:29 AM
Put it this way. Assume metal is a party is actually meaningless because pretty much anything could be a party. Oh, except perhaps work/school which may explain why we have if it's not work/school = it's party time people.

Therefore nothing sets metal in particular apart from say a poo flinging contest, a bout of balloon popping and cake gobbling, etc. It's actually worse, because metal noises is just some stuff playing while The Party happens. Metal therefore is a peripheral accessory to a party. Clearly then, The Party, not metal, is what's meaningful, or at least the actual goal. If metal plays in another setting, it serves as residual nostalgia from the most recent party.

It's Pavlovian in a big way. Replace metal noises during party time with poo gobbling contests and the animal is then trained to adore poo gobbling because the activity is now better associated with The Party. Any time a poo gobbling contest occurs, the party animal salivates, where before it would salivate any time metal noises play.

Simply, if you're not a moronic slug, you're Elitist, which we are expected to take to mean "not just another moronic slug", and afterward take offense at this revelation.