Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Haydn

Haydn
May 13, 2010, 02:34:19 AM
I've heard some bits and pieces of Haydn on public radio, recently, and gosh do I really like him!  Not much talk about him, here, however.  What are other opinions of his body of work?  Any favorite pieces in particular?
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Re: Haydn
May 13, 2010, 06:25:17 PM
Better than Mozart? That will be hard. But thank you nevertheless; I'm also interested in Haydn's music. Do you mind recommending a good recording along with each work?
Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

chb

May 29, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
[link]http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B00006GA50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275139504&sr=1-1[/link]

You might want to buy this box set. You can have all the symphonies for a little more than a dollar per symphony and the quality is very good. Fantastic playing and the sound quality is very good (except for the symphonies they recorded first, at the end of the 80s).

June 15, 2010, 12:02:54 AM
Along with Brahms, the German "composer-as-craftsman" par-excellence.

His string quartets, as others have suggested, are great, and an important step in understanding Haydn's other output, and also Beethoven's subsequent string quartet work. They are also a great way to cut your teeth on classical four movement form. Check out Op.74

"The Horsemen" quartet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE039G4WfF4&