Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

International Day of EXHORDER

International Day of EXHORDER
May 21, 2010, 05:56:43 PM
Death
Black ribbon sticker that appears on vehicles in honor of Dimebag Darrell.

On December 8, 2004, Abbott was shot onstage while performing with Damageplan at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio.

The gunman was Nathan Gale,[5][13] who shot Abbott five times, including once in the head, killing him instantly. Gale then continued shooting, killing three others and wounding a further seven. Gale fired a total of fifteen shots, taking the time to reload once and remaining silent throughout the shooting.

Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson, the band's head of security, was killed tackling Gale, as was Alrosa Villa employee Erin Halk. Audience member Nathan Bray was killed while trying to perform CPR on Dimebag and Mayhem.[14] Damageplan drum technician, John "Kat" Brooks, was shot three times as he attempted to get the gun away from Gale, but was overpowered and taken hostage in a headlock position. Tour manager Chris Paluska was also injured.

Seven police officers came in the front entrance, led by Officer Rick Crum, and moved toward the stage. Officer James D. Niggemeyer came in through the back door, behind the stage. Gale only saw the officers in front of the stage; he never saw Officer Niggemeyer who was armed with a 12 gauge Remington 870 shotgun. He approached Gale from the opposite side of the stage to avoid hitting the hostage and fired a single shot, striking Gale in the face with eight of the nine buckshot pellets. Gale was found to have 35 rounds of ammunition remaining.

Nurse and audience member Mindy Reece, 32, went to the aid of Abbott and she and another fan administered CPR until paramedics arrived, but were unable to revive him.

In May 2005, Officer Niggemeyer testified before the Franklin County grand jury, which is routine procedure in Franklin County after a police shooting. The grand jury did not indict Niggemeyer, finding that his actions were justified. Niggemeyer received a commendation from the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission for his outstanding police work in time of crisis as well as the National Rifle Association award as 2005 Law Enforcement Officer of the Year. The five other officers that were first on the scene received Ohio distinguished law enforcement medals for their efforts. In 2006 James Niggemeyer penned the foreword to a book written about the event A Vulgar Display of Power: Courage and Carnage at the Alrosa Villa.

Early theories of motive suggested that Gale may have turned to violence in response to the breakup of Pantera, or the public dispute between Abbott and Pantera singer Phil Anselmo, but these were later ruled out by investigators.[15] Another theory was that Gale believed Abbott had stolen a song that he had written.[16] In the book, A Vulgar Display Of Power, several of Gale's personal writings, given to the author by his mother, suggest that the gunman was not angry about Pantera's breakup or about a belief that Pantera had "stolen songs;" instead, the documents suggest that Gale's paranoid schizophrenia caused delusions that the band could read his mind, and that they were "stealing" his thoughts and laughing at him.

Abbott's grave is located at the Moore Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Arlington, Texas. He is buried alongside his mother. He was buried with Eddie Van Halen's Charvel Hybrid VH2 - a black and yellow Frankenstrat guitar, also known as "Bumblebee," that was pictured with Van Halen on the cover of the album Van Halen II. Dimebag had asked for one of these guitars in 2004, shortly before he was shot. Edward Van Halen originally agreed to make Darrell a copy of the guitar, but upon hearing of Abbott's death, decided to place the actual guitar in his casket. He was buried in a KISS Kasket.

JUST good riffs don't cut a Hessian award-winning sound, like EXHORDER did. One of the most bone-crushing bands to ever exist, and it's a shame that few people have actually "heard" them before. Those who are familiar with EXHORDER know that Pantera is a dumbed-down, stripped-clean-of-any-integrity version of the mighty EXHORDER.

On the advent of DD's death, I suggest we as Hessians celebrate a second holiday with a similar purpose: INTERNATIONAL DAY OF EXHORDER, in which we play EXHORDER as much as humanly possible, therefore allowing Pantera's musical plagarism to be brought into the daylight and seen for what it actually is.

Fuck Pantera, Hail EXHORDER

Re: International Day of EXHORDER
May 21, 2010, 07:23:50 PM
I agree.  We should break away from the idea of having only one (inter)national holiday for a given cause a year.  Let's have >1 Hessian Holidays every year!

June 14, 2010, 04:43:03 AM
Update 6/14/10

International Day of Exhorder has come one stage closer to being a claifying entity concerning the mighty Louisianian giants whom the human-tongue calls "Exhorder."

A correction e-mail was sent to metal archives by some unknown www.ANUS.com/metal/hall user today, informing the website about the band's wishes to be defined under the "Death Metal" genre.

The band's official myspace website www.myspace.com/exhordernola catergorizes themselves under the following moniker "Metal/ Death Metal/ Thrash"

Exhorder's vocalist Kyle Thomas, whose official myspace page is linked to the Exhorder official page informs us that he participated in the 2008 Japanese "Death Metal All Stars" tour, in a collaboration effort with ex-Death. ex-Cannibal Corpse, ex-Deicide etc... members.

Exhorder's epic debut "Slaughter in the Vatican" was produced by Scott Burns.

Exhorder's only official split live album is with SUFFOCATION, MALEVOLENT CREATION and CANCER.

Most of Exhorder's fans consider them to be a Death Metal band.

Vijay Prozak in the review for Exhorder's "Live Death" clears up the confusion and properly places them in the Death Metal genre:

Exhorder - It is difficult to believe that ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? was able to get away with emulating this band and become more popular, but the answer can be found here: ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? adopted more traditional rock in its format, while Exhorder is close to the chromatic-based modal harmonic structure of death metal.

http://www.anus.com/metal/live_death/

Exhorder is a Death Metal band.

EDIT: Regardless of the fact that they are from New Orleans, a trip to see them in their hometown wouldn't be out of the ordinary if we all lodged somwhere near New Orleans but still in the rural area of Louisiana. Take a look at these photos:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS367&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=louisiana+bayou&aq=0&aqi=g9&aql=&oq=louisiana+b&gs_rfai=

The bayous of Louisiana are beyond riveting. This is beauty unknown to most parts of America and beyond.

June 15, 2010, 03:46:28 PM
I agree.  We should break away from the idea of having only one (inter)national holiday for a given cause a year.  Let's have >1 Hessian Holidays every year!

I would love to have a giant "FUCK PANTERA, EXHORDER WERE FIRST" holiday.

But on a practical level, getting one metal holiday a year would be an achievement... and when we fragment ourselves by each championing our favorite band for the holiday, nothing gets done and we defeat ourselves.

June 15, 2010, 07:51:06 PM

I would love to have a giant "FUCK ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, EXHORDER WERE FIRST" holiday.

But on a practical level, getting one metal holiday a year would be an achievement... and when we fragment ourselves by each championing our favorite band for the holiday, nothing gets done and we defeat ourselves.

I would never suggest that Exhorder were emblematic enough for this holiday to be "official" (yet).  As far as pressuring outsiders to recognise Hessiandom as a distinct (sub?)culture goes, I'll force as many "International Day of Slayer" leaflets up people's recta as it takes.

June 15, 2010, 10:52:31 PM
The ideas of Exhorder Day and Incantation Day (Onward to Golgotha Day) could be shoehorned in somehow with National Day of Slayer. Make it flexible if others come to mind like candle light vigil for dead HIV+ rockers day or whatever.

July 15, 2010, 08:58:20 AM
Quote from: scourge
The ideas of Exhorder Day and Incantation Day (Onward to Golgotha Day) could be shoehorned in somehow with National Day of Slayer.

That's a good point.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060428070956/http://nationaldayofslayer.org/

6.6.06 isn't a date that comes around very often (once per century, to be exact), and while plenty of stupid horror movies and terrible albums will be released for the hype value of the day that bears "the number of the beast", we here at NDoS decided that this would be a perfect day for Hessians across the country to come together and engage in something upon which we can all agree - listening to Slayer!

Since Slayer and even the faux-kvltie faggots who initially decried NDoS for being an ANUS project appropriated this holiday, there might come a time when NDoS will have to be delivered from a total loss of meaning.
06/06/11 could be used to remind people that the idea behind the whole initiative was to piss on substandard derivative entertainment and hail the good stuff. A "don't listen to Pantera, listen to Exhorder" or "don't listen to Slaughter of the Soul, listen to Far Away from the Sun" campaign would fit in neatly.

July 16, 2010, 08:35:50 PM
To quote Dave Mustaine "that band that means Panther in spanish", is referred to as "ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?" on this site is about as hilarious as the fact that Dave Mustaine, couldn't even utter the word himself......

Clearly, they completely perverted the Exhorder tradition in the most lucrative and advantageous of ways.....I don't blame Exhorder for crawling under a rock for a few years....

July 16, 2010, 09:01:27 PM
To quote Dave Mustaine "that band that means Panther in spanish" is referred to as "ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME"!!! is about as hilarious as the fact that Dave Mustaine, couldn't even utter the word himself......

Clearly, they completely perverted the Exhorder tradition in the most lucrative and advantageous of ways.....I don't blame Exhorder for crawling under a rock for a few years....

I have an Exhorder painting on my vest. Nobody knows what it is. I constantly burn Exhorder for people. Nobody listens to the disks. When I suggest that people look into them, nobody listens.

Exhorder is subject to either at the very least a terrible marketing and managing approach or at the very most a gnarly Louisiana voodoo curse. Comparing Exhorder to Pantera is basically embarassing to the latter half, and it's been rumored that the once #1 fanboy of Exhorder (Phil Anselmo), retards into caveman passive aggressiveness at the very mention of Exhorder's name. At this point, it's ok to assume that Pantera overshadowed them intentionally. All it takes is one listen to "Slaughter In The Vatican" and even more so, "The Law" to realize that Pantera are guilty of musical plagarism. When greed and drugs propel you to shun the existence of your influences, you've hit the lowest shit-cell of humanity. Exhorder on the other hand are humble about their success/failure; they're happy for Pantera and their success. Pantera isn't even happy about Exhorder's failure; nay, they hate the fact they exist.

Funny enough, read some Pantera lyrics (between the lines of course)...

"It's wearing on my mind,
I'm speaking all my doubts aloud
You rob a dead mans grave,
Then flaunt it like you did create"

To me it seems like those words are most applicable to Pantera's crime against Exhorder.

Fuck Pantera, Exhorder did it first and better... enjoy some of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgukizxZ5QM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5iH8OszYk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erFBQaRx-fY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9GNwTXw8EA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUIw03z3A4&feature=related

July 19, 2010, 06:36:11 PM
Exhorder and Vio-Lence come from the Exodus school of metal: extremely percussive.

Suffocation is a grandson of Exodus. Exodus took the speed metal idea -- the muted strum -- and mutated it into the origins of the "djent" style. This really came to the fore on their third album.

If you look at what was big when Pantera switched styles, it was Metallica -- and Prong. Exhorder was an influence, can't remember if it was too early for Biohazard/Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags had just released their Metallica ripoff album, etc. "Cowboys From Hell" combined all of these.

There's a problem with Exodus, Exhorder, Vio-Lence and all percussive bands in these styles: they're fucking annoying and really hammer home how repetitive they are.

I like the idea of Exhorder and Vio-Lence, but every time I listen, my head hurts and I end up putting on the first Behemoth album.

July 19, 2010, 09:05:12 PM
Exhorder and Vio-Lence come from the Exodus school of metal: extremely percussive...

...There's a problem with Exodus, Exhorder, Vio-Lence and all percussive bands in these styles: they're fucking annoying and really hammer home how repetitive they are...

...I like the idea of Exhorder and Vio-Lence, but every time I listen, my head hurts and I end up putting on the first Behemoth album.

This is all very clear, Exhorder relies solely on percussive value. At moments when they try to include melody in their music, it seems wrong and out of place, ie: "Exhorder," "Unforgiven," and "Incontinence."

Where I tend to disagree is that I don't find any of this annoying. Barbaric yes, nay I say dumb at certain times, but invigorating because it reminds me of a ritual. I find a lot of similarity in modern Hardcore, albeit clearly inferior to Exhorder's rhythmic command.

I've always said that if Dimebag Darrell was in Exhorder, all things missing within the ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? rivalry would have been fulfilled. Dimebag Darell not having a cohesive METAL band to support his guitar wizardry, and Exhorder not having an ounce of agreeable melody that doesn't come out of left field.

It's really a shame. Exhorder's riffs are still masterfully crafted though, in the chunky, a-tonal percussive way. They own most bands of the Speed Metal genre in my mind, just for their sheer rhythmic attacks alone.

July 23, 2010, 03:04:43 PM
Comparing Exhorder to ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is basically embarassing to the latter half, and it's been rumored that the once #1 fanboy of Exhorder (Phil Anselmo), retards into caveman passive aggressiveness at the very mention of Exhorder's name. At this point, it's ok to assume that ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? overshadowed them intentionally. All it takes is one listen to "Slaughter In The Vatican" and even more so, "The Law" to realize that ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? are guilty of musical plagarism.

All true, but the simplest explanation wins:

Pantera were a radio-friendly pop band who suffered really from being generic.

They found a unique style, and adapted it to what the mainstream was doing; I think we can admit it was as much Ride the Lightning as Slaughter in the Vatican.

Pantera was geared for success. They wanted to make songs that millions of people liked, and sing about things the crowd enjoys.

Exhorder, on the other hand, wanted to murder the pope, offend people, and possibly hurt their fans with sonic violence.

It's easy to see why most people have never heard of Exhorder, but everyone has heard for that band named after the Spanish word for panties.

July 24, 2010, 12:09:34 AM
I think an Anti-Bastille Day (the Aristocracy Strikes Back) would be a good Hessian holiday.

July 29, 2010, 09:06:21 PM
This person is SO excited about Exhorder. I think it is a foreign interviewer given the command of the language. Regardless, reading this series of questions just made me laugh (in a good way) at the sheer enthusiasm and praise.

Given the Morrisound Studios treatment with Scott Burns at the helm, EXHORDER turn out a brutally executed album, were you happy with his work at the end? Did the material sound closer to what you wanted to achieve with Exhorder?

Actually, no. Scott did a great job and it sounds good enough, it's just not what we hoped it would be.

One of the most extreme bands in the Thrash Metal-Sector undoubtedly have been the very controversial guys of Exhorder, from the swamps of Louisiana you guys tried to mosh up the Metal-world and with „Slaughter In The Vatican” you absolutely succeeded in this endeavour, because the cover shows the chief of the Vatican being led to his own execution on the gallows, do you agree with that?

Yeah, that would qualify as controversial. We were young, angry men. I have mellowed with age for sure.

Laced with ferocity, „Slaughter In The Vatican” is 8 blistering tracks of molten fury and on this album one find some of the heaviest and finest Thrash riffing ever, is that correct?

I guess that would be for the listener to decide, but I suppose you're right.

„Slaughter in the vatican” is a full blown desecration on everything from religion to assholes, and 17 years later, is still thirsty and this must be among the heaviest albums of all time, with lyrics full of nihilistic rage against society and religion, it is everything good thrash should be– heavy, fast, uncompromising and vicious, how do you see it?

Today that album is still gaining new fans. Young kids are writing to me saying that it has changed their life.

Exhorder manages to arrange their riffs in an intelligent matter, providing the listener with the most violent experience, is that correct?

Almost too intelligently. We may have been able to get two or three more albums out of the songs we had because there were so many parts!

Aggression and a genuinely nasty edge also helped set Exhorder aside from much of the pack, „Homicide”, „Exhorder”, „Desecrator” and „The Tragic Period” all demonstrate this amply - the assault is nearly nonstop as they pummel one with riff after riff after riff and frenzed yet precise drumming, and the slower parts feel heavier when they drop because of it, what are your views on it?

It was always a little bit of something for everyone with our songs. There was always just as much of a punk crowd as there was a metal crowd at our shows. The pits were violent, but there was little fighting. It was a good release for everyone.

The tune „Legions of Death” lurches with menacing intent out of the listener’s speakers, and this is perhaps the only really slow tune on the album, a nice Black Sabbath-y dirge that offsets the rest of it very well, do you agree with that?

„Legions of Death” was one of our first songs, but today it is still one of my favorites. It is well written and is a true "song structure". It has some of the heaviest riffing I've ever heard.

How do you view, that Exhorder do no compromises on this album, pure Thrash Metal, rough, brutal, aggressive, the musical grenades bear titles like „Death In Vain”, „Homicide”, „Exhorder” or „The Tragic Period”, which is a lead-poisoning turned sound and also „Legions Of Death” and „Anal Lust” bring no breather to the listener, quite the contrary, the neck-muscles get a marathon-match and with the controversial title-track and with that highlight as closer, Exhorder end these 40 minutes of pure thrashing?

The whole idea was to hit hard and give very little time for anyone to get a chance to pick their teeth up off of the floor.

Do you think, that lyrically, this album is over the top, the lyrics are absolutely violent, and against mostly anything, lines like „Fuck your god, no regard for religion” certainly set a clear tone for the album?

There is so much that I said and did back then that I wouldn't dream of doing or saying today. Call me old, or call me mature, but I was an angry young man back then. Really, just a kid. I was 16- 17 years old when we wrote most of that stuff. Don't get me wrong, I will still perform the songs, but if we write newer ones they will still be aggressive, but not nearly as vulgar or blasphemous. I'm in a way different place in life now.
There is much hate towards religion („Slaughter In The Vatican”, „Homicide”), and love towards violent acts („Anal Lust”, „Desecrator”)…
I always compare what we did to horror movies. It was horror music. I never ever hurt anyone like that or wanted babies dead or anything. It just challenges people to think of these horrid things. Some can handle it, and some simply cannot.

Is it correct, that each song has their edgy lyrics coupled with equally fierce riffing and pummelling drums?

My vocals were very percussive in that band. I probably followed Chris's drumming far more than I followed Vinnie's riffs.

Everyone knows in order to have a good thrash album there must always have to be a good vocalist and you are one of the finest representatives of the genre, you are one of the most bizarre vocalist and you one of the most pissed off voices in thrash, extremely effective, what’s your opinion?

Wow, thanks! I appreciate that. The funny thing is I never wanted to be a singer. I played bass but when I finally did sing one day no one wanted me to play bass anymore. It is a gift, but sometimes it feels like a curse.
The bassparts were played by Jay and Vinnie, why and when did Andy Villafara quit the band? Didn’t you start searching a new bassist?
Andy is a strange situation. Super talented guy and one of the nicest people you ever met, but just not really a guy that could totally fit in I guess. His Mom made him quit. That explains everything.

With „Slaughter in the vatican”, Exhorder delivered quality thrash album, right?

It has been voted into high positions on some all time lists that I've seen. I guess that's for the listener to decide, not me.

Do you think, that the guitars tone are crunchy, really heavy and devastating? Is the whole album heavy, fast, uncompromising and vicious?

Again, I'm not that thrilled with the way the album came out. We may even re- record a few songs to deliver them as they should have been. I don't hate the album, but it could have been better and just wasn't right to me.

http://lesliesmetal-page.blogspot.com/2009/02/exhorder-with-kyle-thomas.html

July 30, 2010, 04:15:43 AM
If you look at what was big when ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? switched styles, it was Metallica -- and Prong. Exhorder was an influence, can't remember if it was too early for Biohazard/Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags had just released their Metallica ripoff album, etc. "Cowboys From Hell" combined all of these.

Biohazard had put out two albums by 1990, and Agnostic Front did not descend into bro/groove-core until very recently. Their late 1980s/early 1990s material is metaled-up hardcore punk that is really hit or miss.

I love Exhorder. I introduced them to several friends last night who seemed to highly enjoy their cover of "Into The Void".