Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Funny fact about newbies in metal

Funny fact about newbies in metal
May 25, 2010, 07:39:36 PM
A thing i've noticed is that a lot of times I seek simpler metal albums, because I'm still confused sometimes, at some albums and their "sound complexity". In the ANUS page Vijay Prozak responds about mutilator telling that while it's good, it was not as "complex" as sepultura. I became instantly interested in checking it out, and I liked the album I downloaded. It is really simpler. In my, like, 14teens, I was still thinking that black metal was a bunch of noises and some occasional whispering or screaming. But it was really the way the music sounded to me. I couldn't comprehend the sounds. There was no melody to me.

Slowly, but only with the help of cannabis, I began to understand. (on a note, I started listening to "black metal" [a mix of true black metal with dimmu borgir, cof, and other stuff] before starting to smoke. One band I really admired was Burzum, but I believed I felt the songs on a more subcontious level).

I enjoyed mutilator very much, but on the other hand, Atrocity Todfesnnehschust is a little bit harder (requires more attention)

I have to say, when I smoke cannabis I am able to graps all bands. This preference for simpler, more average (but no mediocre) metal, is when I do not smoke it. ANUS also influenced this outlook, because the bands considered the greatest were always the ones I found more "difficult".

Another album that's quite OK and easy to listen to, but great album: Rotting Christ's Non Serviam. Very good.

Anyone ever went througt this stage of wanting simpler metal just because the other stuff is too complex or challenging or whatever?

Re: Funny fact about newbies in metal
May 25, 2010, 08:06:58 PM
Funny, I seem to have had the complete opposite. I tend to find complex music easier to follow. I remember it took me about two weeks to get into Impaled Nazarene, to even be able to tell differences between riffs because Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz seemed so monotonous to me that it drowned out my focus. But when I'm doing "simple" things such as riding the subway I prefer listening to simple music such as the Ramones or Ildjarn, this is so I can concentrate better on my surroundings and listen to the music on background volume. Alas the quality of public transportation has gone down a bit I guess.

I suppose the effects of marijuana could cause complex music to be experienced as more natural. But be careful you don't end up listening to freejazz (one of the worst effects marijuana can have on someone, next to homosexuality)

May 25, 2010, 08:45:43 PM
I was also the opposite.  "Difficult" albums like Obscura, I was able to get on the first listen.  However, understanding Havohej / Profanatica actually took me awhile.

May 25, 2010, 09:11:06 PM
Funny, I seem to have had the complete opposite. I tend to find complex music easier to follow. I remember it took me about two weeks to get into Impaled Nazarene, to even be able to tell differences between riffs because Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz seemed so monotonous to me that it drowned out my focus. But when I'm doing "simple" things such as riding the subway I prefer listening to simple music such as the Ramones or Ildjarn, this is so I can concentrate better on my surroundings and listen to the music on background volume. Alas the quality of public transportation has gone down a bit I guess.

I suppose the effects of marijuana could cause complex music to be experienced as more natural. But be careful you don't end up listening to freejazz (one of the worst effects marijuana can have on someone, next to homosexuality)

I think I need to clarify what I meant by complex... Obscura sure is complex, but for a mind that isn't used to metal, most extreme metal is complex To Listen To, not necessairly complex melodies. Emperor for example is not that "complex" but when I first listened to Towards the Pantheon the difficulty was to perceive the sounds, understand that there is a melody and there is a coherence. Havohej was a band that I liked when I was new to metal, but on a more subconcious level. I could listen to the songs, not feel that much excited, but repeat the sounds in my head during the day. I often felt more emotion on the reproduction of the songs of bands in my head after listening than listening to them. But outside of extreme metal, songs were easier, like Sonata Arctica, Helloween, etc. I just couldn't figure out what most extreme metal bands were all about! When ANUS listed the greats I tought there would be some Iron Maiden-like melodic greatness or something, and what I usually found was very different, some alien form of music.

I enjoy listening to Miles Davis and others. It's a different form of music, miles davis is cool. The album On The Corner is good experimental jazz imo. Free jazz, if you mean some faggy shit, well that's not really my thing, but I don't really know. Perhaps you could send an youtube link with some degenerate free jazz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0ka1tY5yg

I would like to know how can cannabis cause homosexuality if you were serious

Jewbob: I also had difficulty with the most repetitive, but that doesn't mean they're very simple. Or not

May 25, 2010, 09:14:26 PM
It took me a while to get post-Blazing-Sky Darkthrone, but, other than that, I've found that most Metal was pretty straightforward, regardless of the complexity of it.  Burzum, Beherit, and Morbid Angel were equally appreciable from the outset.

May 26, 2010, 12:43:01 AM
Back in my teenage years (I'm 20 now), I tried to like symphonic black metal. Didn't happen. I kept sticking with my raw black metal, crust, and ambient. Before smoking, I tried get into death metal, didn't happen. Then I tried Swedish death metal, which typically is more punkish than most death metal (imo imo), and I loved it (still haven't smoked cannabis, 'cause I don't wanna turn gay).

Quote from: mr marcus
Anyone ever went througt this stage of wanting simpler metal just because the other stuff is too complex or challenging or whatever?
I've always enjoyed the more "simpler" types of music but I also understand why people enjoy Demilich or Gorguts. I give them occasional listens. Perhaps I'm just not br00tal enough to be methulz.

Perhaps you enjoy listening to tech. death on cannabis because it's trippy. If so, you're listening to it for all the wrong reasons. Don't listen to stuff if you don't like it.

Quote from: mr marcus
This preference for simpler, more average (but no mediocre) metal, is when I do not smoke it
Just because its simpler doesn't make it "lesser" music (if you mean in a minimalistic way). If you meant "simpler" as to "music for simpletons", then perhaps you're not quite ready to dive straight into the "higher music" or be categorized as a "transcendental anus elitist" as so many of us here are (haha). Take the music with time. You're not going to like everything. And if you do, maybe you're just trying to "fit in".

May 26, 2010, 01:06:35 AM
Weakness < brawn < brains < spirit. Something isn't the best in its field for an ability to show off how accomplished it is. Don't worry about disliking complex music. Worry more about liking lifeless music.

May 26, 2010, 01:16:39 AM
There is a confusion here. By more complex I did not mean necessairly technical. It could be that a repetitive band to me is more complex than a technical one. The complexity is in understanting and assimilating the coherence of the song. This difficulty for me to listen to metal was mostly because I listened to simpler metal, and by simpler I don't mean economical in the melodies or whatever, I mean stuff like Sonata Arctica and System of a Down.

Rotting Christ's Non Serviam for example, it is a great album imo, but I would call it simpler, at least to listen to, than immortal.

May 26, 2010, 03:51:25 AM
My bet is that you'll find those tastes to be very transient. I used to not only like, but even sometimes LOVE, Borknagar, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, Arcturus(I once considered The Sham Mirrors, for a time, to be one of the best albums ever made), Blut Aus Nord, and others. Conversely, when I first encountered Asphyx's The Rack, I found it chorish due to its generic, simplistic nature, preferred Varathron to Necromantia, and completely disliked Darkthrone.

Now I adore Darkthrone all the way up to and including Total Death, find Varathron dull to listen to often, find depths of subtlety in The Rack that no other album has delivered, and consider The Sham Mirrors to be little more than the result of a bored imagination while Blut Aus Nord might as well have never existed at all. Not only that, but I see myself feeling these things for years to come, maybe for life(with the exception of Panzerfaust and Total Death, which I will probably grow less fond of over the next year or so). The way you appreciate the music will inevitably change over time, and if you are seeking the right things, you will eventually gravitate to them. Worth noting also is that I used to listen to many other genres back then; now I don't, because I feel that doing so is a waste of my time.

May 26, 2010, 06:47:10 AM
Worth noting also is that I used to listen to many other genres back then; now I don't, because I feel that doing so is a waste of my time.

Yes. Some people think that they know about music because they hear many genres, as if reading everything from horror literature like Poe to self-help like Jack Canfield would make you a better reader.

I enjoy listening to Miles Davis and others. It's a different form of music, miles davis is cool. The album On The Corner is good experimental jazz imo. Free jazz, if you mean some faggy shit, well that's not really my thing, but I don't really know. Perhaps you could send an youtube link with some degenerate free jazz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0ka1tY5yg

What's the artistic merit of free jazz in comparison to a street drum circle where everything goes in?

May 27, 2010, 07:59:15 AM
The brain must learn to differentiate and track separate instruments, most people's musical upbringing is informed entirely by pop music, consequentially they don't develop appreciable musical cognition. The typical normals inability to process classical music demonstrates this. The neural circuitry simply isn't there.
Like aerobic training, persistently challenging your musical boundaries will increase your ability to understand complex musics. This is a natural process that will continue through your life, a few years from now your conceptual understanding of music will have doubtless increased.

A word on cannabis, the drug intensifies sense perception, music, sex and food all feels good man, however it also occludes mental function with constant indulgence rendering you little more than a shit farm with feelings (encapsulated by 'MOAR' and negativity because your a useless stoner). Existing as a useless meatsack whose only goal is to keep smoking weed, intellectual and spiritual growth blocked by the waking coma of intoxication, unable to acquire or process complex data (reading books, listening to music) because of total memory obliteration and by choice of constant intoxication averred against any higher thought or philosophizing: synonymous with rampant faggotry and a sure, albeit slower way to acquire AIDS.

May 27, 2010, 01:00:47 PM
Instead of drugs, I recommend sitting in the dark with good quality headphones to listen to music. This means that your eyes don't distract you from the sounds, and if you sit in an upright position you may pass between consciousness and sleep without falling alseep completely. It makes the riffs more intense and helps to gauge the depth of the music. I've done with this Emperor, Darkthrone and Burzum and it really does help me get inside the riffs and how they interact with one another. It takes more effort than weed, but has the same effect if you're able to get in the zone. Its healthier too.

The same goes for busy Death Metal oddly, even though its a different way of composing metal. Stuff like Morbid Angel and Atheist.

Thrashymachus

May 27, 2010, 01:49:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8NEL2tagOs&feature=related

Total rubbish, really.

May 27, 2010, 02:15:22 PM
Quote from: we hope you die
I recommend sitting in the dark with good quality headphones to listen to music.
This is the only way I listen to music anymore, when I'm not listening to it on the computer.  I recommend anyone who has never done this try it with Electric Doom Synthesis ASAP.

May 28, 2010, 01:40:28 AM
I often listen to my favorites as I fall asleep. Such classics for me are Infester, Demoncy, Gotmoor and Ildjarn.  There is that moment when you also re awake temporarily and the music is so overwhelming. I agree with not using drugs or what not and instead try to achieve this naturally.  I have had great experiences as well with spontaneous inspiration. This which occurs briefly is something I strive for, where I create in my head as if I was listening to music live, all tracks: bass,  drums , guitar and vocals all simultaneously. Truly magical and without the aid of any substance.